Shortlisting tenants

My property manager got back to me with a list of prospective tenants interested in my property offering rent that suits me. PM asked me to decide.

1. Single mom with a 8 yo son. Never rented before, but owned a house and PM said their owner history is good. She earns around $340 pw from her part time job, but gets around $500+ from centrelink.

2. Two brothers. One of them recently married and wife coming from overseas soon. PM said their real estate did not get back with the rental history yet.

3. A couple(not married). One working full time and other on centrelink payment. Their rental history is fine.

Who do you think I should go with?

My property manager got back to me with a list of prospective tenants interested in my property offering rent that suits me. PM asked me to decide.

1. Single mom with a 8 yo son. Never rented before, but owned a house and PM said their owner history is good. She earns around $340 pw from her part time job, but gets around $500+ from centrelink.

2. Two brothers. One of them recently married and wife coming from overseas soon. PM said their real estate did not get back with the rental history yet.

3. A couple(not married). One working full time and other on centrelink payment. Their rental history is fine.

Who do you think I should go with?

How much is the rent? Can 1. afford it?

2. I'd wait to get their rental history. If their old agent is being uncooperative i'd want to see their rental ledger if they have a copy.

3. I would not go with this couple, they are living in sin! But if you can live with pot smoking, devil worshiping sinners living in your house then these are probably your strongest applicants (if 2.'s rental history can't be confirmed).

How much is the rent? Can 1. afford it?

2. I'd wait to get their rental history. If their old agent is being uncooperative i'd want to see their rental ledger if they have a copy.

3. I would not go with this couple, they are living in sin! But if you can live with pot smoking, devil worshiping sinners living in your house then these are probably your strongest applicants (if 2.'s rental history can't be confirmed).

1. Rent is 400pw. She can just afford it. According to the PM, she is pretty nice and well spoken

2. I think the same about these. I will ask the PM to get their rental ledger.

3. I did not think that far. You are right. I will cross out them from my list

I'd do a 6 month lease first, which gives you options.

I'd pick 1 first (but I was a single mum and know a few, many budget better than those with money), then 3, as one is working and they still know to ask for financial assistance from centrelink and the brothers 3rd, lack of rental history, and 3rd person coming, who may need to be listed on the lease, not to mention any personal squabbles.

1. only earns approx. $840 per week and the rent is $400 per week. I don't call this affordable. Nothing against being a single mum, don't get me wrong, but she's speeding half her income on rent.

2. Wouldn't lease without the REA getting back to her.

3. Seems your best bet thus far so long as the proeprty is affordable. What are they currently paying in rent?

1. only earns approx. $840 per week and the rent is $400 per week. I don't call this affordable. Nothing against being a single mum, don't get me wrong, but she's speeding half her income on rent.

2. Wouldn't lease without the REA getting back to her.

3. Seems your best bet thus far so long as the proeprty is affordable. What are they currently paying in rent?

Yep. My thoughts as well.

Shouldn't the PM be picking? They are supposed to be the prosfessionals.
This way they can come back and say "hey, you picked them" if something goes wrong, I suspect.

I'd pick #1.
She may only have $420 left after rent, but that is still a fair amount.
She only has one dependant.
Give her a 6 month lease.

Option 1 probably has additional Centrelink income but will still have trouble affording the rent. Mothers will probably feed children before paying rent. Evicting a single mum can be difficult. Single Mums can be great when they can afford the rent, but disaster when they can't.

Option 2 could be good, but the changing family dynamic would be interesting. I'd want to know a bit more about these guys. They may not be long term tenants.

Option 3 seems fairly strong. Lots of unmarried couples rent together these days, it's no big deal at all (although Ed is correct, they're definitely going to hell for their sinful ways **end sarcasm**). Just make sure they can afford the rent on the single income.

I'd say it's between 2 & 3, but I'd need to know more to make a decision.

I wouldnt go 2 unless they had a history of living together previously. Its unusual for 2 brothers to live together long term, they most likely just got together short term, or to make the rental application look good.

3 will know the drill and has applied with 6 other estate agents recently and has probably accepted another tenancy already, or will put you off while they wait and see if they get their first choice.

1 will get some further rent assistance on top of her current income, I like the fact she is solely on the lease, rather than sharing. If she owned before, she might have some savings etc that could see her through in case of emergency. Id make it clear that anyone she cohabits with needs to then also co sign the lease.

I am inclined towards 1 too.
As tobe said, Number 3 has accepted elsewhere already :)
PM is still waiting on number for a rental record. He has also asked for a ledger, which they will provide by tonight.

I'd steer clear of number 2 - sounds unpredictable. I never like when "someone's coming later" unless I get their application now.

I'd choose the young couple first, and then the single mum as a backup if the first choice pulls out.

I'd steer clear of number 2 - sounds unpredictable. I never like when "someone's coming later" unless I get their application now.

I'd choose the young couple first, and then the single mum as a backup if the first choice pulls out.

That's what I did. Number 3 pulled out. PM giving number 2 until this afternoon to provide the records or number 1 it is.

#1 might also be getting maintenance from father of the child.

As to someone who asked 'why doesn't the PM choose' my PM always gives me the list of applicants and they will say who they would choose but leave it up to me.

I went to my PM's office today to talk and see how things are. However, I found that though my PM is A(an experienced lady), the open home is been conducted by B (a newbie, by the looks of it).
Is this normal?

Back