Should we be worried?

Totally agree with the other 30-somethings here - there is a huge difference in attitude and ambition between gen X and gen Y.
I would hate to be considered in the same category as the Gen Ys I know!
A lot of us Xers didnt even have computers or nintendos so I cant understand where that correlation comes from WinstonWolfe! And as far as many of us being "toolbox challenged" maybe a lot of that comes from your generation - who had the highest divorce rates, with many of us being raised just by mum while the fathers were never seen again!

You go girl!!!! mmm, I was wondering about the nintendo thing as well. I sure as hell didn't have one. I remember that apple computers had just come out, but before that I was using a Dos computer at my friend's house. Used to think it was great playing pacman which took half an hour to load onto the computer via a tape recorder type device. (Does anyone remmeber that??? lol!!!! (Could have been banging up a piece of woodwork in the back yard while this was happening WinstonWolf??).

I agree about the divorce rate among the babyboomers. They were and still are such a self indulgent generation!!!!!

I agree about the divorce rate among the babyboomers. They were and still are such a self indulgent generation!!!!!

At least some of us BBs know how to find the ABS website.
Hint: it isn't a flash coded game site.

And I'd agree that a lot of BBs are horribly self indulgent. And their greatest indulgence was to try and buy their kids' love, and cause an obesity epidemic in the process; or be their kids' best friend, and raise a generation that thinks the govt will take over from Mummy when they (finally) leave home......when instead, these BBs could have been teaching the kiddies how to read and understand ABS statistics.

Last edited:
At least some of us BBs know how to find the ABS website.
Hint: it isn't a flash coded game site.

And I'd agree that a lot of BBs are horribly self indulgent. And their greatest indulgence was to try and buy their kids' love, or be their best friend, when instead, they could have been teaching them how to read and understand ABS statistics.

Or banging up woodwork in the backyard???

Or banging up woodwork in the backyard???

well yes, I know a few brow beaten BBs who never graduated from the shed (probably hiding from further beatings up at the house)....hence never cottoned onto the fact that if they could nail two bits of wood together, they could probably manage a reno or three.

well yes, I know a few brow beaten BBs who never graduated from the shed (probably hiding from further beatings up at the house)....hence never cottoned onto the fact that if they could nail two bits of wood together, they could probably manage a reno or three.

lol!!! I remember my Uncle and Aunty (Who would be classed as young babyboomers) renovating about that many houses. They really got into it at the time! Lived in each of the houses as they renovated. It was really a gastly thing to put their family through. No kitchen for several months, rooms blocked off, paint tins here and there. Then, to top it all off just when they finished renovating their dream home (very nicely too) they decided to have a sea change and moved to be close to the coast just when their youngest daughter was doing year 12. However, she really needed to be close to her school, but had to endure an hour trip each way to attend her old school. Needless to say she dropped out of school, got knocked up and is now living in a bungalow in someone's backyard with a child!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmm babyboomers!!!

Then, to top it all off just when they finished renovating their dream home (very nicely too) they decided to have a sea change and moved to be close to the coast just when their youngest daughter was doing year 12. However, she really needed to be close to her school, but had to endure an hour trip each way to attend her old school. Needless to say she dropped out of school, got knocked up and is now living in a bungalow in someone's backyard with a child!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmm babyboomers!!!

deary me...they were probably some of those BBs that listened to Cheech And Chong over and over....

Pot tends to screw with your stress thresholds. Hence, the first of the seachange BBs I know were all old pot heads.

Though where your aunt and unc screwed up is in letting their daughter dictate to them what school she was going to do Grade 12 at. (too much hippie go with the flow let them express their natural self philosophy)

Anyways, lot's of us BBs had to travel 1 hour to and from school...on a broken bicycle...on a corrugated dirt road....in the blazing sun.....and make dinner when we got home, and feed the chooks, and weed the vege patch, then do 3 hours homework after dinner....then go back to school 3 hours before we woke up..............and you tell the kids of today that and they won't believe you............

So What's the big deal there? You sure it wasn't your cousin's passive smoking at home that caused her to spit the dummy?

deary me...they were probably some of those BBs that listened to Cheech And Chong over and over....

Pot tends to screw with your stress thresholds. Hence, the first of the seachange BBs I know were all old pot heads.

Though where your aunt and unc screwed up is in letting their daughter dictate to them what school she was going to do Grade 12 at. (too much hippie go with the flow let them express their natural self philosophy)

Anyways, lot's of us BBs had to travel 1 hour to and from school...on a broken bicycle...on a corrugated dirt road....in the blazing sun.....and make dinner when we got home, and feed the chooks, and weed the vege patch, then do 3 hours homework after dinner....then go back to school 3 hours before we woke up..............and you tell the kids of today that and they won't believe you............

So What's the big deal there? You sure it wasn't your cousin's passive smoking at home that caused her to spit the dummy?

lol!!! Thats really funny!!

Do you still ride an hour or two each day? I must say, even I used to ride to school.

This thread is loosing its way somewhat (thanks to my help). Aren't we meant to be discussing a "housing affordability issue"???????

You forgot to add the part about being so poor that your mum had to cut holes in your pockets to give you something to play with...............:eek:

Oops..............my apologies you did mention that.......my bad.

ciao

Nor

You forgot to add the part about being so poor that your mum had to cut holes in your pockets to give you something to play with...............:eek:

Oops..............my apologies you did mention that.......my bad.

ciao

Nor

Yes Nor, and I suppose your Mum made you wear a headband to cover up the circumcision scar :eek:

Originally Posted by anguang01
i hate those ppl who dont have a degree and sweet talk their way into life..

I certainly haven't sweet talked my way into life. i got a full time job 1 week after finishing the hsc and have worked full time ever since. I'm 20.5 years old and i'm earning $62,000 plus super and i have no degree. I am a hard worker and i'm good at what I do.

I frequent another forum largely made up of women 18-35 age group and there are often discussions on there lamenting housing affordability and how they will never be able to follow a home. Such posts are usually followed by discussion about their new $3,000 handbag :rolleyes: I agree with other posts on here about Gen Y's being too 'soft'.I do live reasonably frugally and that is what enabled me to buy my IP at 19. I would love to have a house full of nice things and be living in my dream house, but i would rather save for my next IP. Most people my age that i know want everything now-the round the world trip, the new car, designer wardrobe, latest gadgets, mansion in desirable suburb.

I haven't travelled yet but am hoping to do a trip next year, along with purchasing 2nd IP. At the moment, i am in a very frustrating place-i earn good money and could easily afford a 2nd IP, but because i don't have enought money for the loan costs i can't get a loan :mad: so am madly saving this year..
I have just started a degree this year.

I certainly haven't sweet talked me way into life. i got a full time job 1 week after finishing the hsc and have worked full time ever since. I'm 20.5 years old and i'm earning $62,000 plus super and i have no degree. I am a hard worker and i'm good at what I do.

I frequent another forum largely made up of women 18-35 age group and there are often discussions on there lamenting housing affordability and how they will never be able to follow a home. Such posts are usually followed by discussion about their new $3,000 handbag :rolleyes: I agree with other posts on here about Gen Y's being too 'soft'.I do live reasonably frugally and that is what enabled me to buy my IP at 19. I would love to have a house full of nice things and be living in my dream house, but i would rather save for my next IP. Most people my age that i know want everything now-the round the world trip, the new car, designer wardrobe, latest gadgets, mansion in desirable suburb.

I haven't travelled yet but am hoping to do a trip next year, along with purchasing 2nd IP. At the moment, i am in a very frustrating place-i earn good money and could easily afford a 2nd IP, but because i don't have enought money for the loan costs i can't get a loan :mad: so am madly saving this year..

Wow MishMash, You have achieved great things with your investments at such a young age. Your salary is also very high for someone who is 20. (.5 sorry!) No doubt you will be able to have all you dream of in the not too distant future if you continue along this course. Keep going, you're off to a flying start!!!!

WinstonWolfe you made me laugh so hard! If it is any consolation that is exactly how I am trying to raise my 5 kids now -"make the dinner, feed the chooks, weed the vege patch"- they dont appreciate anything if you just hand it to them.

Back