shower: full strip + retile

The shower in one of my IP's is in poor condition. Some of the tiles have fallen off last week (& pretty much a hole there due to back board deterioation) .... so probably looking at full strip + retile to bring it back in shape. Potentially may need a new shower screen as well (2 panels).

Has anyone tackled similar before? What sort of costs should I be looking at (assuming I engage trades for this)?

$7-8K depending on the size of the bathroom if you manage all the trades.
Carpenter to reline walls with hardiflex (you will damage getting tiles off)
Waterproofing
Tiler
Shower Screen
Vanity
Toilet
Tapware
Plumber
Electrician if you are doing lights & power points

Maybe some other smaller things like, shower hardware (place to put your soap, shampoo etc if you don't want to use the ones that come with the shower rails or purchase the plastic ones), mirror(s), light fitting or similar, towel rail, fan/exhaust, door hooks, door stops.

You going to need to re-paint?

(Sure some of these are small fry but detail counts!)

Ive just done and about to do another bathroom reno. My bathroom is relatively small, but I tiled to ceiling as well.

Tiling cost $2000 (labour only), Bathroom semi-frameless shower screen $450. Vanity was relatively simple (~$500), probably close to $1000 for changing some plumbing and installing various bits and pieces in the bathroom through plumber and handyman. Heated towel rail (nor hardwired) ~$500. New toilet (but that's separate) was around $600-700. I paid extra for soft closing seat!!

thanks guys. btw it's only the shower area ... not the full bathroom. Hence strip+retiling on 2 walls and new 2-panel shower screen.
I've now got a quote of 2.5k+gst from trade .... seems kinda high.
Any thoughts?

So I would assume the works would include replacing existing plaster with green board, new tiles and shower screen. Are you having a new shower base, or is that tiled as well?

Is the shower screen semi-frameless, frameless?

So I would assume the works would include replacing existing plaster with green board, new tiles and shower screen. Are you having a new shower base, or is that tiled as well?

Is the shower screen semi-frameless, frameless?

Hi buzz,
you are spot on. It's got a shower base at the moment and I'm assuming I should be able to retain it (my understanding is the shower base should simply be sitting on top of the concrete floor?)

The shower screen is semi-frameless. I would have been able to keep it .... but the roller mechanism under the sliding door has busted & hence will need a new one.

Also not sure on how waterproofing fits in with shower base. I'm assuming it won't be required on the bottom? but perhaps only on the new green board (walls/upright only)?

$2.5K is a lot.

Why don't you strip it yourself. Then it's just reline the walls, waterproof, tile and put in shower screen.

thanks for the confidence travelbug :)
I would consider myself handy on several fronts (have replaced / installed locks, built a deck + pergola, small concreting, hung doors, etc) ... but never really tackled a 'wet area' job. The main worry is waterproofing (& also given shower base .. how?); and never done tiling either (i'm sure crooked lines won't look very nice).
Got any tips? or perhaps links to online videos / education material?

thanks for the confidence travelbug :)
I would consider myself handy on several fronts (have replaced / installed locks, built a deck + pergola, small concreting, hung doors, etc) ... but never really tackled a 'wet area' job. The main worry is waterproofing (& also given shower base .. how?); and never done tiling either (i'm sure crooked lines won't look very nice).
Got any tips? or perhaps links to online videos / education material?

Best tip for tiling is to measure the floor (both ways) & walls, mark the centre of each & that is your starting point. This ensures you have even "cuts" at each end / edge & no PITA slithers of tile at one end which looks crapola.
Walls should be started by fixing a batten to the wall measured down from the top of the are to be tiled & then once adhesive has dried remove the batten & install the bottom tile (may need to be cut to fit as you have worked from the top tile down)
Heaps of online tips from tile manufacturers, try this one;

http://www.johnsontiles.com.au/faq-tiles-flooring.htm

I actually meant just strip it yourself. This will save paying someone to do it.

It's a fiddly job and you need to make sure everything is right otherwise it can be an expensive exercise.

Back