Silent Sale ?!

A silent sale in real estate is one whereby a property is marketed discreetly, without advertising the listed property to the general public.

The property is usually marketed:
- direct to a database of pre-registered & qualified buyers, and usually
- through a preferred real estate agent that has pre-qualified buyers listed.

• Has anyone sold their property via this method?
  • If so, was it a "high end" property? (more traditional type for a silent sale)
  • Do you recommend this technique, and in what sort of areas/demographic?

I've always maintained you can't sell a secret - so this method bewilders me.

I had a mate that sold at the end of last year via this method with great success, selling in less than a week at a high price to a waiting buyer. Until then I'd never heard of it.

I was wondering if it is in common use? I was advised by a friend working at a r-estate agency that in certain suburbs the silent sales exceeded the advertised ones! This can't be true?!

I've always maintained you can't sell a secret - so this method bewilders me.

Just the other week there was a for sale sign at the front of a unit block in Cabra.

I checked realestate.com, domain.com, the agents website and nothing, zip.

I was thinking this is strange, when a week passed by and I noticed a sold sticker on the sign.

I rang the agent and was told that someone from the agency bought the property and by law they have to advertise it. They wouldn't tell me the sale price - I might have offered more. This technique is not in the sellers best interest.

Have seen it used in upmarket areas where sellers may be in financial (or other) difficulties and would prefer a discrete sale without their neighbours and friends knowing.

Have seen it used in upmarket areas where sellers may be in financial (or other) difficulties and would prefer a discrete sale without their neighbours and friends knowing.

That may be a valid reason but it doesn't mean you get the best price.

Unless you have a reason for not advertising (going bankrupt and don't want your neighbours to know etc) I can't see a reason why you'd do this.

Agents do have a bank of people looking for properties but it's not an exhaustive list.
So it is not in Your best interest because there could be a buyer out there willing to pay more.

A relative has just decided to sell her property close to Melbourne CBD. She didn't want to pay advertising fees so I think she is planning on doing something similar. She had a buyer's advocate she dealt with when she purchased and was going to get them to find a buyer. Apparently it is a popular building so finding a buyer shouldn't be too difficult.

It's funny when people are selling a property that could be worth half a million dollars and they are worried about "wasting" $1,000 on advertising.
I could have sold my unit this way as all the agents had people on their books. I was also in a very popular block. It would have sold in a week BUT would I have got top $? Competition is good.

I was considering it for a Melbourne IP, but the decision is well off. I may or may not revisit it. I'll talk to the agent and see what he has to say so at least I'm somewhat more informed.

Back