Simple rent question

Hi all, a simple question. I am building a house in Andrews Farm, Adelaide. Comparable houses rent in the same suburb for $330 - $340 per week. I am living in this house and getting two mates to live with me. How much rent should I charge them (approx)? I have the biggest bedroom and ensuite to myself. They have smaller rooms (3.3 x 3.4 and 3.3 x 2.7) and the dude with the smaller room has to park his car on the road. I am supplying all furniture and applicances. Splitting the utilities 3 ways (water, electricity, internet).

Is $95 and $90 a week for each person too much? Too little?

Thanks for your advice. I will be contacting a property manager to get the rental agreement drawn up and I'm sure they can advise me on rental price, but I wanted to get a ballpark figure first to work out my budget and to let people know. Thanks again!

Is $95 and $90 a week for each person too much? Too little?

If you pitch it in terms of room rates per night like a hotel would, you are charging them $ 13.57 and $ 12.86 per night respectively.

Anyone that reckons that is too steep needs to get a life.

I think it's ridiculously too cheap.....but that's the market.

That weekly rate sounds a little low, but I am comparing it to the rates posted on Gumtree for our local market.

Have you checked Gumtree? It will give you a fair idea of what others are charging for this type of accommodation.

are you covering electricity, water and internet?

if so, look at it this way - houses are renting for $330/wk, so $110/ea - plus you are supplying furniture and utilities but then again you have the largest room with ensuite.

have a look in the paper, in the board/share accomodation section and see what is the going rate for the above. perhaps charge them a "little" less because they are mates. i think you'll find that $130-140 is the going rate for the above.

please listen to this advice - even tho they are mates - get your agreement in writing!

Thank you all for the advice. I also felt that $90-$95 was a bit low considering I'm providing pretty much everything. We will be splitting the utilities. I'll check out that gumtree site.

i would say $100 a week for the smaller room without a carpark and $110 for the bigger room.

$210 a week plus going thirds sounds like a win-win-win

Well done mate... also I would suggest that you have something in writting where they can only have a partner stay over 2 or 3 nights a week because I have seen a few friends in share houses who have had big issues with this.

Back