So I was up in the roof of the PPOR this morning

I had an insulation guy coming to do a quote and thought I would have a poke around first.

My building was a bakery, and then a printer.

I found some copies of Soccer World up in the roof. It was, it seems, a weekly newspaper they used to print. It even had my street address on it.

So I can tell you that in 1964 the soccer advocates were carping on about soccer not getting enough local media coverage.

And a Queensland ALP senator said in Parliament that he thought the Department of Immigration should promote on TV overseas the fact that soccer was played in Australia as it would help attract more immigrants. The Minister for Immigration said that if they were going to promote anything, it would be Australian Rules because 'that is the only game of football there is in Australia'. I suspect the Minister for Immigration might have been a Melbourne boy.

The soccer gang were aggrieved and said 'We never knock Aussie Rules. We never say that it's glorified aerial ping-pong played by sleeveless giants.'

In another story, there was a scuffle between spectators at a soccer match that made the broader news. But the soccer boys pointed out that scuffles happen all the time between supporters of other codes.

And the Rural Bank in an ad were offering 3.5% interest on 12 month deposits.

Scott

gold - i love finding old newspapers etc when renovating.

some stories are just fantastic - especially when using racial or class terms. amazing how much personal censorship we have today.

As an electrician in a previous life i found heaps of old newspapers under lino etc. I used to love reading the classifieds and space ads. Especially the car and property ads.

Nice one,

I played soccer all my life, and have booked my place for the World Cup in SA already through the Fanatics, go you Socceroos on Sunday night.

Chomp

Chomp,
Email me your address and I'll send you a copy of Soccer World Vol 6 No 16 May 17, 1963. It's sitting on my desk.
The people here know I like newspapers, but they think I've gone a bit over the top reading one from the 60s.
Scott

When i was a apprentice electrician back in the late 70's we were converting Kiama on the NSW Mid South Coast from overhead pole supply to underground supply.
At the local Kiama Independant building we had to run new supply mains through their roof area.

Up in the roof there were thousands of old papers dating back to the early 1900s.
Such interesting reads. And so much history.

The people working there did not even know they were there.:confused:

depreciator may have also been pointing out how little things have changed.

i too love finding old papers in the reno's - although it does slow work down as i sit in the sun and read.

One of the blokes here at work was renovating a house some time ago with his wife. They found a newspaper dated the day she was born. That would have been wierd.
Scott

That's funny because last house we bought we found newspapers under the fake grass carpet, which was laid over the lino, which was laid over more lino :eek: dated the day hubby was born. We took it as a sign that this house really was meant to be bought by us :).

It was fun reading what happened the day he was born and I found it interesting that it seemed that as many bad things were happening back then as happen now.

Back