Sole or exclusive agency, open listing and Multi Listing

Sole or exclusive agency, open listing and Multi Listing

Warning, long post! :p

When you’re about to list your property for sale you can be forgiven for not understanding the differences in a sole or exclusive agency, an open listing or multi listing.

Over the next few days I thought I’d try and explain these and how an agent views and approaches each one so that you have a better understanding of them and why some agents are hesitant and often even refuse to take on open and multi lists.

In the case of an open listing, the vendor gets in 2 or more agents to list their property and whoever sells it gets the full commission. Vendors often think that as the agents are competing against each other to sell it that they’ll all be working much harder to get the sale so that they can get the commission, much like a feeding frenzy in a shark tank. In fact, the exact opposite usually happens.

When the property is first listed you’ll probably have quite a few agents trying to get their current buyers through the property for a quick sale and after a few days that’s the last you’ll hear from them. As they’re competing against other agents for a sale, any agent that has been around for a while will back off (if they even bother to take it on in the first place) as it’s more like a lottery. You can put in quite a bit of work only to be pipped at the post by another agent who gets lucky and gets the sale.

The agent will be less inclined to be trying to get you the best possible price too as all they want is a sale before another agent sells it and realistically, and who can blame them. The vendor isn’t being totally loyal to the agent so why would you expect the agent be totally loyal to the vendor in achieving their objectives.

Also, a buyer can ask for a list of addresses, go for a drive by them all, see another agents sign and call the other agent for any number of reasons such as, they’re closer, they know them, they can’t get hold of the agent that told them about it and they want to look then and there. Also, the buyer can knock directly on the vendor’s door and the agent that gave the address has no legal comeback.

And further, how do you decide which agent is going to do the marketing? And if you do decide to have one agent do the marketing, do you really think the other agents are going to try and sell it anyway? You may as well give one of them an exclusive agency.

In the case of Multi Listing (ML), ML is a form of sole agency. The agent that Multi lists the property gets 50% of the commission no matter which agent sells it.

What used to happen around here and I have no doubt the same happens in other areas is this. An agent may have had a sole agency or exclusive listing for a while and the time of the agency agreement is running out. The vendor will inform the agent that they want to ‘give it to all the agents’. The ‘nice’ agent offers to arrange that for the vendor by giving all the details to all other agents via the Multi Listing Service (MLS), knowing that he/she still has the best chance of selling it as most agents don’t bother about other agents ML properties.

The reason other agents don’t show it is, why the heck would they try and sell another agents listing when they’re only going to get half the commission? Also, as with open listings, the buyer may drive past the property and then see the listing agent’s sign and approach the listing agent. Again, a disincentive for other agents to try and sell ML properties.

Unfortunately, what can happen is, the agent doesn’t fully explain all the implications of the MLS. When the other agents in the area don’t even go and look at the property, let alone bring buyers through, the vendor unwittingly says that the agent that has ML the property is the best one around as they’re the only ones showing it.

Years ago, the company I work for withdrew from the MLS. Occasionally we’d get vendors that had ML with another agent come in and have a go at us for not coming to see their property. After we’d explained that we didn’t participate in ML and also explained the pitfalls with the system, they’d often go see their listing agent and have a go at them for not telling them the full story.

Although I believe it’s worked ok in some areas, generally speaking MLS is a highly ineffective way of marketing a property.

In the case of sole agencies or exclusive listings, the listing agent has some control over the listing and the marketing of the property. Also the vendor will have an agent that is 110% devoted to selling the property. At the end of the day when the property sells, the agent is going to be rewarded for the effort put in, not unlike any other person out there trying to make a living. This type of agency is mutually beneficial for all parties.

And if something goes wrong, or nothing is happening, you have one person responsible for selling your property. In the case of an open listing, which agent are you going to point the finger at if nothing is happening?

to be continued…. :eek:

I hope you find this info useful. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:
Sultan of Swing said:
In the case of sole agencies or exclusive listings, the listing agent has some control over the listing and the marketing of the property. Also the vendor will have an agent that is 110% devoted to selling the property. At the end of the day when the property sells, the agent is going to be rewarded for the effort put in, not unlike any other person out there trying to make a living. This type of agency is mutually beneficial for all parties.
SOS,

When I bought the land which became our PPOR (well, we built a house on it first ;) ) it was not the selling agent who sold it to us. Although it was an exclusive agreement with one agent, we had only been tyre kicking with just one agent- a different one- in town. He showed us this property, and we loved it. The commission, as I understand, was split between the two agents.

Is that split common? Or might it have been just because people in a country town (Queanbeyan) talk to each other?

geoffw said:
Is that split common? Or might it have been just because people in a country town (Queanbeyan) talk to each other?

Hi Geoff

Around here splits aren't common although they do happen and as far as I'm aware, they're not real common in other areas either. I think our office had 2 conjunctions with other offices for the whole of 2005.

I'm also in a country town and we talk to some of the other agents and get on very well with some but at the same time, remember, they are the competition. As in any business venture, no agent is in business to make money for their competitors. I'd guess you know the other Subway franchisees and other takeaway operators in your area and get on ok with them but when it comes to customers, you want them in your door, not the one down the street. :p

Cheers

Thanks SOS, that's good.

This particular "split" (thanks for the term) occurred because of a rare circumstance. Neither agent would have made the sale alone. So it really was a win win.

Though in my industry, my competitors are the other QSRs*, not other Subway stores. I talk to other Subways, but never to M** *** $%^^ splutter splutter, I can never manage to say that word :D

*QSR = "Quick Service Restaurants". Apparently, we don't like the term "fast food".

Hmm, seems based on most of the posts on this topic, near nobody likes Open Listings. Interesting. On that basis I guess perhaps the implication is, that I may as well just stay with my existing agent who seems quite professional.

The thing about an exclusive listing it seems to me is that there is less pressure to sell quickly. i.e. It becomes less time critical for the agent. If you happen to get a bad agent for whatever reason you could end up wasting valuable time also. I can see pros and cons on all methods of selling.

The way I was initially seeing it, with an Open Listing concept, was that those agents most organized will be able to prepare the best strategy the most quickly, with minimal effort, compared to other lesser organized operators. The champions will rise to the top of the pack and tend to get the sales the most. I was thinking that no matter what the scenario, the better sales agents will perform better under most circumstances, though I guess to some extent it also depends on their selling styles.

hwd007 said:
The thing about an exclusive listing it seems to me is that there is less pressure to sell quickly. i.e. It becomes less time critical for the agent. If you happen to get a bad agent for whatever reason you could end up wasting valuable time also. I can see pros and cons on all methods of selling.

Interesting you should say that. A friend of mine had the same theory, why sell the exclusives when they are under control, why not focus on selling the open listings before someone else does.

My answer would be this. Firstly it gives far too much credit on the agent to influence any sale. I've never seen a buyer purchase a property just because they were talked into it by an agent (I'm talking res sales not hyped up projects). All an agent might do is get the buyer to make the decision quicker than they may have, you know the old if you don't do it now i have another buyer......

Apart from that is the simple fact an agent doesn't get paid anything if it doesn't sell. Exclusives do run out and owners do then move on. So there's no point in ignoring them to focus on someone who has open listed when by signing exclusively the owner has given you your best opportunity to get a sale. Working on open listings is destined for heartbreak and an empty wallet.

Lastly, the very thing which makes salespeople successful is they tend to be emotional type of people. They are friendly and generally like to make people happy, which is a major reason why so many agents don't last, they can't handle all the objections they receive daily before finally getting an "ok, lets do it". To give an undertaking to make the sale for an owner who lists with you exclusively and then "fail" is energy and confidence sapping. Most salespeople fall into this category. As they say, "Shy people raise skinny kids"

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Back