Solving the housing affordability crisis

Add to that OA all the huge assortment of charges, levies and taxes that get lumped in along the way by each level of government in taking a greenfields site up to the stage of a completed new house for sale.

My memory on this is a bit rusty, but I recall reading some months ago that such total government revenues contributed something like $160K out of the cost of a $360K house and land package.

Actually, if anyone out there can help me with more accurate figures / sources in this area I'd be hugely indebted (or should that be, massively negatively geared in the obligation department?).

add to that this ridiculous 6 star energy rating crap they're trying to cram down our throats, which are going to pump up build prices by another 5-10% and not just that, none of the formulas they use to guage the efficacy of the designs have been proven to work - so they can DEFINITELY tell you that you have to spend an extra $15-30 000 on your house, but they can't guarintee that it made a smidge of difference. Oh, but it created a job for the 6 star ratings inspector.

add to that ridiculous zoning laws that force you to waste lots of land with minimum setbacks, minimum side boundaries, maximum density etc. Dont get me wrong, I'm all for sensible development, but I get really annoyed at stupid rules that mandate that I have to build my building at least 7.5m from the street. Why? I want to build a house that has a garage hard up against the street, whats wrong with that? Why do I have to pay for suspended slabs and things like that because I cant put my garage on this giant slab of wasted land? The government, in this way, forces me to use my land in a certain way, wasting it, and driving up prices

It is b.c houses are a speculative ASSET and sentiment increases their price. Returns based on expected returns based on previous returns and not much else. Stay away from property for a few years, there is going to be a fall. Not less because Australia's overall economic condition is rapidly deteriorating.

What people don't realise is roughly 48% of people are employed either directly, or more likely indirectly by the government, so among a lot of other things, the up coming budget is just one thing I can think of which will have a massive dampener on the market.

I don't think I have a sense of entitlement or high expectations. I expect my first home (rent or own) to be a small apartment or unit and I'll probably share with someone. I'd like something clean and within a reasonable distance to the city (say less than 45 minutes by public transport) as that's where I'll be working next year. To be honest I don't want to live in a studio apartment (I'm not sure if that's too much to ask).

Anyway, I've noticed that I can afford the above..but I won't have all that much left over. So I was just wondering if it’s somewhat difficult for me (a single person with 0 responsibilities) how do people with children do it? I mean, they can't really have roomies, they need a bigger place as the children need bedrooms, they have to feed the children and everything else. How on earth do they do it?

I've noticed comments that you can get a loan on a low income. Well, I agree. But whether or not people can afford the repayments is another question. It seems banks are quite happy for their customers to live off very little after they make their repayments.

I think the cost of rent is as much of an issue as the price of a mortgage - in fact, I think it's even more of an issue. It seems to be low income earners who have to rent that are being hit the hardest.

I'm not sure about the negative gearing issue. There seem to be other threads on that. I was hoping this thread would discuss policies other than negative gearing. POLICIES not HANDOUTS.

I was thinking more along the lines of policies such as the government encouraging urban density, making it less expensive/easier for developers, lowering stamp duty taxes, perhaps introducing a tax on vacant land and properties, encouraging skilled migration for laborers to make building less expensive etc. I really wish the government would start to look at these types of issues instead of just throwing grants at us!

I've also noticed the trend in property sizes are so odd. You have Mc Mansions in the outer suburbs and tiny shoe-boxes closer to the city. What about building reasonable sized apartments in cheaper areas? Could that help solve the problem? There don't seem to be apartments/units/town houses in the mortgage belt areas where the land is cheap? I suppose there must be a low demand for that or something. I think we need more properties for singles, couples without children and retirees as these are the growing trends in household size.

Also I don't think older generations had it "easy". Most of the literature I've read on housing affordability actually states that it isn't a recent phenomenon and housing began to become unaffordable in Australia during the 1970's! Which makes sense as I know my parents had it tough, but my grandparents are always very sympathetic. My grandparents always tell me they think it's really hard for young people these days, which shocks me because they went through a major depression!!! But, I do think housing affordability is a growing issue and over time it has gotten much worse.

Anyway, I just thought it would make an interesting discussion. I'm sorry everyone felt the need to attack me over it. I guess I'm just one of those lazy, ungrateful Gen Ys who doesn't want to work hard for anything in life.

Cupcakes, this forum is no place for a cupcake, as you've apparently found.

So let me tell you a few hard truths . . . .

Property investors are doing the hard-yards: Working like dogs, saving like rodents, hunting and striking like starving wolves.

Now, you want to join this pack? Then toughen the f*** up, Princess!

Not one of us got here by whingeing that things were hard. We took the pain. We worked for everything we've got.

You've got a job? Get a second one!

You've got a credit card? Cut it in half!

You've got a wardrobe? Sell it!

You talk about negative gearing as a 'handout'?

How dare you!

I guess I'm just one of those lazy, ungrateful Gen Ys who doesn't want to work hard for anything in life.

mate its not a personal attack, its more like self defense.
The usual new guy coming here to whinge doesn't want to start small.
He wants to have the best and to have it right now and finds us responsible for his inability to buy his dream home in the centre on Sydney.....

Last edited:
:eek:

Skater, that's more like what Canberra is to Sydney....! (oooops...ok, now I have peeved everyone in Canberra and Geelong off!!) :D

The Y-man

:confused:

Geelong-Melb is 45 min from "bridge to bridge" (if you don't know what I mean, then you shouldn't comment)

Canberra-Syd is 3½ hours!

Don't see your point. And I'm not peeved off. ;)

:confused:

Geelong-Melb is 45 min from "bridge to bridge" (if you don't know what I mean, then you shouldn't comment)

Canberra-Syd is 3½ hours!

Don't see your point. And I'm not peeved off. ;)

I know, I have a typical "eastie" point of view.... (isn't Geelong half way to Adelaide? ) :D

The Y-man

I don't think I have a sense of entitlement or high expectations. I expect my first home (rent or own) to be a small apartment or unit and I'll probably share with someone. I'd like something clean and within a reasonable distance to the city (say less than 45 minutes by public transport) as that's where I'll be working next year. To be honest I don't want to live in a studio apartment (I'm not sure if that's too much to ask).

Anyway, I've noticed that I can afford the above..but I won't have all that much left over. So I was just wondering if it’s somewhat difficult for me (a single person with 0 responsibilities) how do people with children do it? I mean, they can't really have roomies, they need a bigger place as the children need bedrooms, they have to feed the children and everything else. How on earth do they do it?

Like others have said, toughen up princess. If your sharing, then you can easily get a place close to the CBD for $140-150/wk. That's cheap, and affordable, even on minimum wage in Australia.

Children need bedrooms?? Listen princess, some of us moved here from other countries, and had a family of 4 live in a caravan for 2yrs. There is no reason why a family of 4 can't have a 2 bedroom place, and have the kids share a room for a few years. Many of us work hard to make our way up, made sacrifices, worked hard.
Whingers like yourself expect houses with all the mod cons as a starting point.
Stop expecting the government to fix "affordability" problems that don't exist. There are many affordable places to live.

Aren't we being a bit harsh with this "whinger" thing? I only read Cupcake's post as asking "how do people do it" - not "it's not fair"... :confused:

Hey Cupcake,

No magic bullet unfortunately as others have indicated.

I guess one of the fortunate things for us was that we both held jobs in outlying suburbs ealier on - where rent was (and still is by comparison) cheaper.

The Y-man

. I'd like something clean and within a reasonable distance to the city (say less than 45 minutes by public transport) as that's where I'll be working next year. To be honest I don't want to live in a studio apartment (I'm not sure if that's too much to ask).

Anyway, I've noticed that I can afford the above..but I won't have all that much left over..

Ok, for Melbourne and its surrounds, you could theoretically rent somthing like these:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-flat-vic-dandenong-405156972
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-dandenong-401371039
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-flat-vic-dandenong-405119345

A train ride to the CBD takes a theoretical 50 minutes (plus time taken to get to station, etc )

Indeed, even if you were to do this from Geelong:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-geelong-402118835

with a 60 minute train ride.

Werribee however would be even better than all the above - you can get into a villa unit for $200 pw:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-405115340
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-405102758
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-404079833

and only a 35 minute train ride!

These rents are note much higher than what we were paying in 2000 :eek: (ok, admittedly, we lived in a so-called "better" suburb")

The Y-man

I just can't understand how families with young children make it work, even on two incomes :confused:

Here's how we 'did it' (and continue to 'do it') with a young family.

1. Ensured we received qualifications to earn a decent living.
2. Gained employment in secure Govt jobs (bank managers love job security as do my nerves).
3. Save, save, save, save, save $$$$ and forgot about the overseas holidays, fancy cars, dining out, take away, expensive labels on clothing/shoes, etc and weekends of partying and drinking that our young friends were enjoying.
4. Moved to/worked in a regional NSW town (on same money as would be earning in Sydney) where living expenses are cheaper.
5. Bought a MODEST property as soon as we could afford the deposit.
6. Rented first property (above) out and rented cheap with housemates whilst continuing to build up equity.
7. Bought second and third investment properties whilst still living like a 'tight-***'.
8. Held off having children until financially able to afford it on one (husband's) wage (and thus, not having to fork out a fortune in child-care and enjoy children's 'baby years' :) (my personal choice anyway...;)

You know what I find 'funny' (and extemely infuriating)? The same friends who wasted their money on overseas trips, car loans, clothes, restaurants, grog, and generally being 'materialistic' are now whinging about 'how hard it is for them' to afford housing with young kids. Pffft! Yeah right...
Start young and make sensible choices.

Ok, for Melbourne and its surrounds, you could theoretically rent somthing like these:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-flat-vic-dandenong-405156972
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-dandenong-401371039
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-flat-vic-dandenong-405119345

A train ride to the CBD takes a theoretical 50 minutes (plus time taken to get to station, etc )

Indeed, even if you were to do this from Geelong:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-geelong-402118835

with a 60 minute train ride.

Werribee however would be even better than all the above - you can get into a villa unit for $200 pw:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-405115340
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-405102758
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-werribee-404079833

and only a 35 minute train ride!

These rents are note much higher than what we were paying in 2000 :eek: (ok, admittedly, we lived in a so-called "better" suburb")

The Y-man

But what would the average income of the typical tenants of the above properties be? Just because those rents might sound affordable to you it doesn't actually make them affordable to the tenants if that makes sense?

Cupcakes, I'm glad we didn't scare you off. You really have to excuse some of us as we see all sorts of newbies coming here with an agenda. You don't seem to fit that mold, so lets see what we can do to give you more of an understanding.

OK, don't worry about how others are going to do it, worry about how you are going to do it. For the most part you will find that those on low incomes with kids are getting a whole lot of middle class welfare, so lets leave that one alone for now.

I've noticed comments that you can get a loan on a low income. Well, I agree. But whether or not people can afford the repayments is another question. It seems banks are quite happy for their customers to live off very little after they make their repayments.

I think the cost of rent is as much of an issue as the price of a mortgage - in fact, I think it's even more of an issue. It seems to be low income earners who have to rent that are being hit the hardest.
Your first mortgage will be the hardest few years of your life. You really need to understand that and to go into this willingly with your eyes wide open, but it is worth the struggle. Consider this:

As a young person, it is reasonable that your income is only going in one direction. Up! Of course, this won't happen overnight and will come in many possibly small increments over the years. If you purchase a property, however, your repayments will stay the same (if you fix the loan, that is). Over time, the value of the mortgage will seem small.

If, on the otherhand, you choose to rent, well, I can tell you that as a Landlord, I want my rents going up. So, rent will always come at a cost. It might start out as the cheaper option, but over time it will always go up. The longer you rent, the longer you delay the hardship that you will go through in purchasing your first home.

Of course, not everyone experiences the same amount of hardship. We all have a different level of income & savings. The best advice that I can give anyone starting out is to SAVE as much as you can while still living at home with your parents and don't develop any expensive 'needs'. Live as simple a life as you can. Once you step onto that rent treadmill it will make things so much more difficult. You now not only have to find the rent money, but also have utilities & support yourself. All this makes saving that much harder.

I'm not sure about the negative gearing issue. There seem to be other threads on that. I was hoping this thread would discuss policies other than negative gearing. POLICIES not HANDOUTS.

I was thinking more along the lines of policies such as the government encouraging urban density, making it less expensive/easier for developers, lowering stamp duty taxes, perhaps introducing a tax on vacant land and properties, encouraging skilled migration for labourer's to make building less expensive etc. I really wish the government would start to look at these types of issues instead of just throwing grants at us!
This is a whole other issue. The government are the ones that have made it more expensive for developers. They are not going to change that. It would be lovely, I agree, but I really can't see it happening. Lowering stamp duty is the same. Just wishful thinking, I'm afraid. It is a whole lot cheaper for the government to throw random grants to people than to remove taxes and at the end of the day, they really don't care how expensive things get to the little people (you, me & the rest of us), they only care what will win votes.

I've also noticed the trend in property sizes are so odd. You have Mc Mansions in the outer suburbs and tiny shoe-boxes closer to the city. What about building reasonable sized apartments in cheaper areas? Could that help solve the problem? There don't seem to be apartments/units/town houses in the mortgage belt areas where the land is cheap? I suppose there must be a low demand for that or something. I think we need more properties for singles, couples without children and retirees as these are the growing trends in household size.
This has to do with the value of the land. To build a McMansion in the city would be a massive cost. Land is much cheaper on the outskirts than the city. As for the apartments in the cheaper areas, well, you need to look more to where the transport is located.

Take Sydney (are you from Sydney?) Lots of new developments going ahead, but the new apartments are mostly on the rail lines, not the new housing developments. Town houses & villa's are often in the established areas where you get larger blocks of land, so development costs are cheaper.

Also I don't think older generations had it "easy". Most of the literature I've read on housing afordability actually states that it isn't a recent phenomenon and housing began to become unfordable in Australia during the 1970's! Which makes sense as I know my parents had it tough, but my grandparents are always very sympathetic. My grandparents always tell me they think it's really hard for young people these days, which shocks me because they went through a major depression!!! But, I do think housing afordability is a growing issue and over time it has gotten much worse.
I think afordability is no worse than it has been, in fact I think it is easier if you stick to simple living. You are right, it WAS hard when we started out and it would have been hard when your grandparents started out. The difference is that nowadays there are so many new things coming out and everybody just expects to have the latest & greatest. Everyone carries a mobile phone, they have Foxtell, a new car, the latest biggest TV, expensive meals, going to the movies, clothes (I have daughters, I know how much gets spent on that alone) overseas holidays. See where I'm going here?

The basics are actually cheaper than when I was young. I remember saving for months to buy a VCR (do you know what that is? video recorder). It cost me something like $500 and this was in the '80s. I remember my dad fixing my kettle, yet now if they break you can get a new one for something like $10, why would you bother fixing it?

Anyway, I just thought it would make an interesting discussion. I'm sorry everyone felt the need to attack me over it. I guess I'm just one of those lazy, ungrateful Gen Ys who doesn't want to work hard for anything in life.
No, we are always willing to help those that are genuine. Sometimes it is hard to tell at first. There ARE lazy, ungrateful Gen Ys, but that certainly does not describe ALL Gen Ys.;)

Last edited:
Hi Cupcakes,

To save for our first home, my husband and I lived with his parents for just over a year.

We could not afford Sydney, and bought a house on the NSW Central Coast. There was no FHOBG twenty years ago.

We continued to live and rent in Sydney where we both worked, renting out our house on the coast. Needless to say, it eventually tripled in value.

I'm Gen X and most of our parents either lived in garages with their parents or even seperated their children to aunties for a time while they did what they had to, to save for a house.

I work with a 30yr old, who refuses to have the internet at home, has an old projection TV, makes his lunch and has just bought his first home with an LVR 70%.

Says it all, I think.:)

Regards,

Jo

Back