Some Positive News for Australia

This was reported today, a glimmer of hope perhaps??

The latest reading of Australia's economic growth has surpassed expectations. Today's figures from the Bureau of Statistics show the economy grew by 0.8 per cent in the final three months of last year. The result comes after stronger-than-expected employment figures earlier in the week.

Also, Coles announced 16,000 new jobs to be created over the next 3 years

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-gift-16000-jobs/story-fn91v9q3-1226845903146

Bit of a different story painted in the Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/coles-to-drive-growth-with-70-new-stores-20140305-347j1.html

"Over the past five years Coles has refined its store network, opening about 20 new supermarkets a year, but closing a similar number, so net new-store growth has been limited. But the newer stores are at least 15 per cent larger -about 2500 square metres compared with 2200 square metres - and future stores will average about 2800 square metres."

&

"Coles plans to open between 20 and 25 supermarkets a year - while the number of closures will fall, leading to net new store growth as high as 3 per cent a year."

So sounds like a continuation of an already ongoing process. Also the "net" increase isn't quite as impressive.

I agree the construction investment and temporary construction jobs are good.
I don't believe that Coles, Woolies, etc.. really create much of a "net" increase in jobs over time though. When building in an established area, they just end up putting all the other smaller businesses out of business.

Well...most will go into commercial areas of new estates.

The rumour mill is saying that a Coles or Woolies will go into Commercial strip at the Lakelands estate near Mandurah!

With Australia growing by about 350,000 people a year. 70 new stores in 3 yrs is not a lot.

70 new stores in 3 years? Good luck finding that many good sites to put them in.

With Australia growing by about 350,000 people a year. 70 new stores in 3 yrs is not a lot.
The problem with that theory is the growing population aren't going to come here and move out to the boondocks...

Typically, they will congregate around the existing cities and suburbs and clog them up even further...

I don't think Coles and others will want to build on the next corner from their existing stores.

Unless of course there are 70 more new cookie-cutter estates on the horizon which may need a Coles and Bunnings.

This policy is working with more immigrants going to places like Bendigo, Ballarat, and Albury. Particularly doctors and lawyers. History has also show that Britons and Indians will move to large metro areas outside of the 7 major cities if the right incentives are provided.

The govt can provide additional incentive by allowing a larger threshold if people live in areas outside of the 7 largest metro areas. Say a 21-25k tax free threshold insteand of 18,600 odd.

The problem with that theory is the growing population aren't going to come here and move out to the boondocks...

Typically, they will congregate around the existing cities and suburbs and clog them up even further...

I don't think Coles and others will want to build on the next corner from their existing stores.

Unless of course there are 70 more new cookie-cutter estates on the horizon which may need a Coles and Bunnings.

Unemployment in shock fall to 5.8%

Full-time positions fell by 22,100 but part-time jobs rose by 40,200, the Bureau of Statistics said in figures published on Thursday.

The latest figures came after February's surprise 80,500 jump in full-time positions, which boosted hope that a turnaround in the labour market could be in progress.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...-fall-to-58-20140410-36ec4.html#ixzz2yRmxB8vd

Yeah the actual data is awful even if the headline rate says it?s party time.
Full time jobs going and part time jobs created.
Total worked hours are dropping and with it the participation rate.

People are giving up:eek:

Bit of a different story painted in the Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/coles-to-drive-growth-with-70-new-stores-20140305-347j1.html

"Over the past five years Coles has refined its store network, opening about 20 new supermarkets a year, but closing a similar number, so net new-store growth has been limited. But the newer stores are at least 15 per cent larger -about 2500 square metres compared with 2200 square metres - and future stores will average about 2800 square metres."

&

"Coles plans to open between 20 and 25 supermarkets a year - while the number of closures will fall, leading to net new store growth as high as 3 per cent a year."

So sounds like a continuation of an already ongoing process. Also the "net" increase isn't quite as impressive.

I agree the construction investment and temporary construction jobs are good.
I don't believe that Coles, Woolies, etc.. really create much of a "net" increase in jobs over time though. When building in an established area, they just end up putting all the other smaller businesses out of business.

wait a second.....are you saying that because the "per employee per sqm" of space ratio is watered down because of the increase in size of stores that this is lukewarm news or something?

if so - i've heard it all, now....:rolleyes:

Yeah the actual data is awful even if the headline rate says it?s party time.
Full time jobs going and part time jobs created.
Total worked hours are dropping and with it the participation rate.

People are giving up:eek:

You quoted my post but cut this out of the post,

The latest figures came after February's surprise 80,500 jump in full-time positions, which boosted hope that a turnaround in the labour market could be in progress.

Pretty decent climb in full-time jobs in February:rolleyes:

Also in the article was this paragraph,

The participation rate fell to 64.7 per cent and the aggregate monthly hours worked increased by eight million hours to 1617.2 million hours.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...-fall-to-58-20140410-36ec4.html#ixzz2yStuj6MR

How do you read that as a drop in the hours worked, you seem to be confused:rolleyes:

Last edited:
People are giving up. House prices to fall by 50% or probably 90%? Holden shutting down; and Toyota. All jobs going overseas. Too much tax to pay. 457ers getting all our jobs. Country flooded with asylum seekers. Cannot borrow anymore because of new credit rules. Future generations can't buy houses because no jobs and the prices out of their reach. People living too long thus country cannot pay for healthcare. Canberra gonna shut down as well?

wait a second.....are you saying that because the "per employee per sqm" of space ratio is watered down because of the increase in size of stores that this is lukewarm news or something?

if so - i've heard it all, now....:rolleyes:

No.

The point is, Coles preference for larger stores is where demand for new store construction is coming from (i.e. they are not all new stores, but larger replacements for existing stores).

"Over the past five years Coles has refined its store network, opening about 20 new supermarkets a year, but closing a similar number, so net new-store growth has been limited"

There will be more staff in these larger stores, more product categories, more products, more customers requires more staff.

You quoted my post but cut this out of the post,

Pretty decent climb in full-time jobs in February:rolleyes:

From the ABS on Feb results:

The incoming rotation group for February 2014 had a higher proportion of employed persons and persons in the labour force (i.e. less persons not in the labour force) than the sample it replaced. This incoming rotation group contributed, in original terms, 37% of the increase in total employment and 29% of the decrease in persons not in the labour force in February 2014. The trend estimates provide a better measure of the underlying level and direction of the series especially when there are significant rotation group effects.
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]&prodno=6202.0&issue=Feb 2014&num=&view=

70 new stores in 3 years? Good luck finding that many good sites to put them in.

Coles strategy is not greenfield new stores but expansion of existing footprints. Agree good luck - Masters cant find sites either. Kellyville NSW is example. New Coles "mega store" concept is around 100% larger which includes clothing, large fresh bakery (not parbaked), larger fresh veg, meat etc incl a real butcher etc. Also liquor + where possible tyre & auto (Kmart) and other speciality branded stores under the Wesfarmers label.

Present model seems to result in multilevel carparks to grow footprint and contain nosie concerns. Interesting they have been encouraged to expand by Aldi !! They are choosing JV developments that include Aldi as a way to get through Councils. ie Aldi on part of site in exchange for bigger Coles. NSW Govt want this to happen.

Ok let's put all this in context. There are home owners who keep wanting to believe data is positive and prices are on the rise. Then there are haters and gloomers who will publicise every negative data in hope rich people go bankrupt because, well they're just angry little muffins.

Reality is, those who invested have made their money again. You probably won't make much more in 2015. So time to look for some good alternative investments. For the haters, well if you missed out, I empathise with your anger.

...Then there are haters and gloomers who will publicise every negative data in hope rich people go bankrupt because, well they're just angry little muffins....

Yes they are. :D

images

Back