Some post-reno photos

Hi All,

For those interested I've put a few photos in my gallery showing the results of some reno work we did on our PPOR (well actually our last PPOR - we have since moved on but it's taken me a while to post the photos).

There are 3 photos of the bathroom. We designed the bathroom ourselves and sourced all the materials, but paid someone to do the work. This was due to the fact that 1. we choose small glass moasic tiles for the walls, which are (apparently) difficult to lay properly, 2. because it was our PPOR and I didn't want to stuff it up (as I'd never done any tiling and serious plumbing before), and 3. we were in a rush as I had just accepted a new job interstate. I was going to project manage it and organise the seperate tradies, but after lots of hassles and a few people pulling out for no good reason I got fed up and paid one company to do the lot. They were fantastic, but probably on the high side in terms of price (but in this case we got what we paid for). You will also see that we didn't install any fixed storage units. We did this because we couldn't find any vanity units we liked for a reasonable price (we're very fussy :D ), but also because we liked the "modular" idea of having a couple of movable storage units that could be changed as the needs of the household changed.

The other 2 photos are of some french doors that I installed myself. The wall previously had some windows which I removed. I then had to cut out the hole to floor level. I got the doors to be the same overall width as the windows so I didn't have to move the existing studs. Installing the doors and frame only took a day (with a bit of preparation beforehand). We also put some stairs down to the back yard (I love prefabricated galvanised stringers - saved me heaps of work to make them myself out of timber), and put some gravel and a grid of pavers on teh ground to make it look better. Previously that corner of the yard had some old cracked concrete with dirt and weeds, so it was quite an improvement. We did have plans to put a deck out there instead, but the move interstate put a stop to that. We still have the house as an IP so a deck may still be on the cards one day because it will really add value to the house.

I'm really posting these in the hope someone will some inspiration or ideas for their own renovations, so good luck.

John.

P.S. It's only the photos posted today (4/4/06) you should look at. The other photos were from a friends rental property showing how not to do a reno!

duncan_m said:
The bathroom/toilet seem to have a real hospital feel to them..?

Yes, I agree it does look like that in the photos. We purposely wanted a very clean look, but in real life the room is actually not that stark because we installed downlights which added a bit of warmth and highlighted the work areas. Also, once there were a few wet towels strewn around the place, and some slimey soap, toothbrushes and shaving cream around the basin it did look more homely :) .

John.

johnnyb said:
Yes, I agree it does look like that in the photos. We purposely wanted a very clean look, but in real life the room is actually not that stark because we installed downlights which added a bit of warmth and highlighted the work areas. Also, once there were a few wet towels strewn around the place, and some slimey soap, toothbrushes and shaving cream around the basin it did look more homely :) .

John.

Oh goodo.. the French doors and floors loook great.

All the toilet is missing is that big plastic chair with the hole in the middle to take a dump thru.. like what you see in hospitals :)

duncan_m said:
All the toilet is missing is that big plastic chair with the hole in the middle to take a dump thru.. like what you see in hospitals :)

I wouldn't know about that sort of thing, being relatively young and healthy. But maybe you can enlighten us on this and other lifestyle aids you have your eye on Duncan :eek:

John.

duncan_m said:
I think that is a little harsh. While it is not entirely to my taste & I am not a fan of those little mosaic tiles you used, the finish and quality looks good. Personally I would prefer to have more storage hiding behind doors, but we all have different tastes, don't we.:eek: The doors look good.:cool:

I, for one, reckon it looks really, really good Johnny... I like the mosaic tiles offset against the large chocolate floor tiles.

I don't think those pics are really doing it justice tho. The glass tiles in the flesh are really nice in a bathroom especially on the large scale you've used them in (must have cost you a packet). Very fresh and modern. Love it...

The freestanding basin with the stainless trap looks great in there too...nice choice. Again very minimalist and suits the room.

Very much to my tastes...
ArJay :)

johnnyb said:
P.S. It's only the photos posted today (4/4/06) you should look at. The other photos were from a friends rental property showing how not to do a reno!

So I'd say that would be no merovingian. :D

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I don't have any before shots. The old bathroom was pretty much falling apart. The tiles were falling off the walls, the vanity bench top had tiny heart shaped tiles and much of the grout was broken, and the wall in the shower had a lovely feature panel of a swordfish arching out of the water - probably the thing to have in the 70's, but not to our taste.

ArJay, yes the mosaic tiles weren't cheap, about $38/m2. I think we found a couple of different brands, some were more and some were less expensive than this. Not sure how much more it cost us to lay them though. And the chippy had to pack some parts of the wall when putting up the new sheeting to ensure everything was square, otherwise the small tiles will highlight any irregularirites.

John.

Johnny,

Well done, it looks great! Just think about all the extra equity you've built into your PPOR now by doing it yourself. That's a great way to increase your wealth that a lot of people forget about...

Quick question about that bathroom though; you don't hit your head on the shelving above the cistern do you? I don't want to get into personal ummm.... modes of operation for the toilet, but not everyone leans forward reading the evening news. :eek:

Great work,
Michael.

MichaelWhyte said:
Johnny,

Well done, it looks great! Just think about all the extra equity you've built into your PPOR now by doing it yourself. That's a great way to increase your wealth that a lot of people forget about...

Quick question about that bathroom though; you don't hit your head on the shelving above the cistern do you? I don't want to get into personal ummm.... modes of operation for the toilet, but not everyone leans forward reading the evening news. :eek:

Great work,
Michael.

Yes, we actually had pre and post-valuations done. Pre-reno value was about $240K, post-reno was $280K, but that was also with new internal paint, new decking on the front verandah, new driveway and paths, and a fair bit of new landscaping. Overall we came out in front, although as I said originally this was for our PPOR at the time so increasing equity was not our intention.

As for the shelving above the toilet, we never had a problem, and we haven't had any complaints from the tenants, but maybe that's because they're too embarrassed to bring it up with the PM. Either that or thay all lean forward ;)

John.

Back