Somersoft Artists

As a follow on from the "investing in art" post, I thought it would be interesting to start a coffee lounge thread where we can show off our work.

I don't have an arty bone in my body, I cannot draw to save myself, but I sure can glue well and having discovered this hidden talent, have made a number of glass mosaics, which I think are beautiful (but then, I am biased :D )

I used to do leadlighting before I had children so this is just an extension of that, I suppose.

I know that there are other talented people on the forum. How about sharing your talent. I'll get the ball rolling.

If the moderators see this post as advertising, I understand that it may disappear. But I would be really interested to see what others do in their spare time as I am sure there is a wealth of talent out there.

black_vase.JPG

Maroon_girl_sold.jpg

wall_girl.JPG

not "art" in the truest sense of the word, but photography is an art.

We recently went to LA, and these are some of the shots I bought back:
LA_-_Santa_Monica_Pier_040.JPG

LA_-_Santa_Monica_Pier_013.JPG

LA_-_Santa_Monica_Pier_032.JPG

I reckon 'art' has a pretty wide definition these days.
No artistic bones in my body, but my wife does some good stuff (or did until the kids came along). Mostly video art, but some paintings. The two on the right hand end of the top row here are in our house. They're huge. I don't reckon she's done a painting since then - about 3 years - because the kids absorb alot of time.

http://littlewood.net.au/pages/gallery_03.htm

Her studio out the back is huge and would make a great shed, but sadly I'm never going to get my hands on it.

Scott

What a shame she is not painting anymore depreciator, they are fantastic! I'm sure she will get back into it when the kids are older, it's hard to not be creative if you are that type of person.

Camel, I consider photography an art just like any other. Just a different medium is all. Great photos, I love night shots - is that the Santa Monica pier?

Cheers

Very nice artwork so far.
OK, some leisure time paintings...

Attachments

• P1220008opt.JPG
    P1220008opt.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 064opt.jpg
    Picture 064opt.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 121opt.jpg
    Picture 121opt.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi Lizzie and thanks for your compliments.

I don't have all the equipment for leadlighting any more. I wouldn't know how to price anything either.

I reckon your best bet would be to search out a local "market" leadlighter. I was at a coast market recently and saw small (20cm) "suncatcher" type leadlights for around $30. A leadlight shop would charge much more I think.

I am assuming you want a suncatcher type and not an actual window?

Let us know how you go.

Wylie

What a shame she is not painting anymore depreciator, they are fantastic! I'm sure she will get back into it when the kids are older, it's hard to not be creative if you are that type of person.

Camel, I consider photography an art just like any other. Just a different medium is all. Great photos, I love night shots - is that the Santa Monica pier?

Cheers

Hi Nat, it is indeed SM Pier. I'm a big fan of doing night shots at the moment, especially cause the camera i previously had, couldn't do them well.. but now i have 15sec exposures.. all fun and games :)

All 3 of them, incidently (even the one that doesn't look like it) are night shots.

I also like water shots for some reason...

Thank you for your compliment :D

Love those mosiac busts you've done Wylie. What are the busts that you start off with? Those paper mache (?) ones you see in craft shops or proper mannequins or something else entirely.

I love your stuff too LeeF - 'cos I like modern art - bright solid colours & patterns. I plan on doing something similar for above my bed to match in with the quilt covers I use.

Great stuff so far everyone.

Olly

Ah well, I may as well join in :) ......an early pencil sketch and some glass work, all done quite some years ago.

:cool:

Attachments

• Resize Geddy 1.jpg
    Resize Geddy 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Masonic.jpg
    Masonic.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Benholme 600x370.jpg
    Benholme 600x370.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 72
Wow!!!! What a talented bunch we have here :)

I did art at school but haven't done anything much since. However, my mum is pretty damn good and has painted a bunch of stuff and is now commissioned by family and friends on a regular basis- all this and didn't start art classes (though she always had natural talent creatively) until she was 58
Just goes to show you what can be done at any stage of life.

Congratulations all you artists- I am truly impressed!!

Great thread!

I love my photography, and do a little beading, and lots of knitting...

Wylie, I'm really interested in what your blank busts are too!

Must admit, I think your stuff is magnificent. I'd have one in my house in a heartbeat! My favourites are the multi coloured ones like the first one in your first post...

asy :D

Thanks for the compliments. I use shop mannequins as a base. I have a veritable hoard of them in the garage. People who don't know us who call think we are a little strange, what with bodies everywhere. Once they see a finished one, they visibly relax :D

Have to say there are some really nice shaped mannequins out there. I tell anyone who comments that they are based on my figure :D

Wylie

Ok, now i'm on a bit of a posting binge. I wish I knew a way to only post thumbnails and link to the main image, but here goes.

Queenscliff_Mar_05_009.jpg

Pt Lonsdale Pier, Victoria

Queenscliff_Mar_05_048.jpg

Bridge to Swan Island, Queenscliff, Victoria

Camel, you have to first upload your pics to a hosting site such as imageshack.us and then copy the code they give you into your post here. That gives you a little thumbnail that links to the main pic on imageshack.

I love the one of the pier, but I think the horizon is just off kilter a little. If you download Picassa2 from Google, it has a great straightening tool in it, (which I use a lot hee hee). It's free too!

OK, I'll upload some of my paintings that I deem worthy of joining this talented thread...

Painting of two of OO's horsies

Still unfinished painting from my trip to Alice Springs last year.

Wylie, I wondered what you used as bases. For some reason I thought you made them from papier mache.

Very nice artwork so far.
OK, some leisure time paintings...

Hi LeeF
I would love to be able to paint this way - how would I go about finding a class that can teach me that? Is that kind of painting called 'modern art', so if I ask at an art school they'll know what I'm talking about?

I have tried to do this on my own but need to learn some technique.
cheers
amanda

Camel, you have to first upload your pics to a hosting site such as imageshack.us and then copy the code they give you into your post here. That gives you a little thumbnail that links to the main pic on imageshack.

I love the one of the pier, but I think the horizon is just off kilter a little. If you download Picassa2 from Google, it has a great straightening tool in it, (which I use a lot hee hee). It's free too!
Hi Natmarie,

I don't photoshop my pictures much at all if I can possibly avoid it. I don't know if that line Is in fact, off kilter.. it may just be the way it's inter-relating with the sand line at the front, which is definitely on an angle.. but that's how the beach goes.

I do know how to use Imageshack, I just don't have an account.. but i'm about to open a Flickr account, seeing as our entire email infrastructure is dead and i have nothni else to do

Back