Something about Akker

For all those who follow AFL;

What about Akker?

I think it's a disgrace; the guy is a champion, has put the Bulldogs back on the map off his own boot, was encouraged to be a high-profile player in the media and was known to be controversial.

So, he makes a few controversial statements and is now sacked. Poor form in my opinion.

I mean; he is down on form, so that makes him a bit of a target, but geez....

So, he makes a few controversial statements and is now sacked. Poor form in my opinion.

I know nothing about football and couldn't care less about footballers, but I was getting annoyed about the recent controversy surrounding him and the way they were treating him. Like I say, I don't really care, but I don't like media hyping up comments and taking out of context what someone said to make them look bad, and it had nothing to do with his playing ability anyhow.

Akker put the Dogs back on the map and now Freo to bump them off. Cmon the mighty Dockers!!

I'd prefer freo over dogs too but I believe dogs chances are better without akker. He's struggled to get half a dozen touches last few weeks.

He's bad PR for the club; isn't this the reason Bris dropped him? I'd say Hall was more of a contributor to dogs success this year. Not to mention Boyd's / Lake's form.

He had the same problems at the Brisbane Lions and they chucked him out for the same reasons.

He does not appear to be a team player. He is writing a book allegedly bagging his team mates. In Brisbane he wrote a newspaper column that often criticized his coach and fellow players.

He can't say he hasn't been warned often enough. I reckon he was lucky to get the second chance he seems to have blown.
Margh

Doesn't really matter whether Freo are better than the Dogs or vice versa, there are 3 sides above them and one below who are better chances for the premiership. And I'm not biased - I don't support any of them.

I don't support either of those teams either, and I wasn't talking about premiership. The person i quoted and I were talking about when those 2 play each other this weekend.

Often criticised and much maligned....but..

During Brisbane's glory days he was the one player in the team who would come out and make big bold statements essentially to take the heat and pressure off his teammates.

And every time he delivered in spades.

He may not have the same amount of touches and silky skills as years gone by, but without him the game would be a much duller place.

Cheers

Rooster

I respect that he always speaks his mind regardless whether it's a popular opinon or not. (I find this incredibly sexy too, like Derryn heh heh). He's a very articulate man & my partner said he carried himself well on the Footy Show the other night.

From what I know, his personal life is never in the media in terms of cheating on his wife, taking drugs, drink-driving & smashing his car into something & running off before police get there etc.

I reckon he didn't deserve to get booted from the Bulldogs. I'd much rather he be a role model to kids than some of the thugs & drug-takers that are still employed in teams.

I hope his book's a bestseller & he sticks it up all of them on his old team! Go Ackers!!!

Although I don't think he's made as much impact with the Bulldogs as he was probably expected to, I think that it's a pity that he'll (almost certainly) leave the game in this way, rather than on his terms.

I don't mind Brisbane, and I reckon that a lot of their success was due in part to Aker.

You don't sack him because he's out of form. You just don't play him.

Sounds like the players have not had their eye on the goal this year and are using him as a scapegoat. If they were the team they were supposed to be, they'd be on top of the ladder instead of clinging on to 4th.

Aker's right when he says that you don't have to trust the bloke off the field. But when he's on the field you have to trust that he's going to lay that tackle or get that mark.

Footballers seem to be more like spoiled kids. It's all about bonding and loving each other. Rubbish! What counts is what happens on the field. Everything else is a distraction.

As for this Leading Teams approach of sitting the guy in the middle while everyone else asks dumb questions, I don't know where to start. Sounds like a witchhunt to me. And doing that in front of the entire team isn't going to build trust, it's going to tear it down.

Badly managed by the bulldogs. They had a player who would have been great as a mentor to the first and second year players and he's gone.

aker is a gobber! go ask any lions supporter...hes trouble..he can play for sure but he causes too much grief behind the scenes........

hes past his use by date almost now.........

i dont rate him personally, off the field...media junkie!

It's interesting and similar to the KRudd issue for me in terms of what would happen in a "normal" workplace?? I have plenty of people I work with who are self involved and don't follow the rules. But a few of us don't get together and punt the person?? Similarly, when the company's reputation is at stake do we push them out.... Just a thought....

I played footy with Jason many years ago and Jason was Jason.... That's how he was and there wasn't much you could do about it... I know at AFL level that is different and you might not put up with who he is, but as some have noted, he has hightened peoples awareness of teams he has played for...

Dos

Back