Something Better Than Round Up?

I have some grass and weeds that need killing at our new property and just wondering if somewhere like Masters or Bunnings sells something a bit more potent than your traditional round up? Stuff like this might not exist but I'd thought I'd ask.

Hopefully this is the sub-forum I'm meant to use for questions like this.

Thanks,
Michael.

Undiluted Roundup can kill a privet tree when applied to a fresh cut. I'd be surprised if the diluted stuff doesn't do the job for some measly weeds.

Just don't apply it when rain is imminent. A small amount on the leaf is usually sufficient to kill within a week.

Glyphosate (Roundup) works by being absorbed into the plant, then it mucks around with the plant's metabolism and the plant dies. The key is that it has to be taken into the plant, so it works best when the plant is healthy and growing.

Counter-intuitively, fertilise and water the plants well a couple of weeks before so they are growing madly. Then hit them with the glyphosate. Some people suggest mixing some soluble fertiliser into the glyph mix too.

There is stronger stuff than glyphosate, but most of these leave nasty residuals. Glyphosate is a hormone that breaks down after a couple of days.

Common salt makes a good, cheap weed killer. Problems is that the soil then becomes salted and nothing will grow in it again. (Apparently in WWII the Russians salted their farm lands so that they would be useless to the invading German army.)

I have some grass and weeds that need killing at our new property and just wondering if somewhere like Masters or Bunnings sells something a bit more potent than your traditional round up? Stuff like this might not exist but I'd thought I'd ask.

Hopefully this is the sub-forum I'm meant to use for questions like this.

Thanks,
Michael.

Glycophosphate weedkiller (which include Rundup) are used by most commercial companies treating weeds and is strong enough as long as the concentration is right.

Best thing is to avoid buying the pre-mixed stuff, buy the concentrate and mix at the strength you need. (you will find instructions on the box that suggest concentrations) Some weeds will need a much higher concentration than others.

Yeah, the weeds and plants in question are currently against the house, so I want to remove them completely and build a stone path through that area.

Yep glyphosate (concentrate) will do it.

But just remember that weeds can appear to come up thru paths soon after being laid, but it is most likely seeds that have blown in from above into a crack or between the house wall and path, propogated and flourished.

So there will be ongoing weed control needed.

If you lay the path over the weeds they will die from lack of light.

But yes, still best to kill first.;)

You can definitely purchase concentrated Glyphosate, I used it to kill off some particularly persistent couch grass some years ago. I always took the precaution of wearing rubber gloves and a breathing mask when spraying the stuff.

Back