Sort of a tight **** question re insulation batts

Ok, guys and gals, what would you do in this situation?

Ok now, your building a house and its almost near completion, and you wanna put insulation batts in the roof.

The house your currently living in has the batts and the house will be demolished when your new house is going to be built.

Would you take out the insulation batts from your old house and put them in your new house?

Savings will be around $500-$1000.

Yes-no?

pros/cons?

discuss.

For savings of $500 to $1000 who is going to be removing them from the current house and installing them? If it was "me" then I would be paying the extra :D and getting new ones.

No way - stick with the old ones and save the money for the next property!

Try and see if your current house can be removed for free - put it on the trading post or gumtree. It will save you the demolition costs!

No way - stick with the old ones and save the money for the next property!

Have you ever seen the guys when they come out of the roof space after installing insulation? They are dripping. Not to mention the fibreglass splinters in all sorts of nooks and crannies :eek:

Do you take the huge pile of dusty, dirty, possum soiled batts in the family car to the next house and do it all in reverse?

Not me!

Just realised you are the same chap who wants to do your own conveyancing. You are a glutton for punishment aren't you :)

Have you ever seen the guys when they come out of the roof space after installing insulation? They are dripping. Not to mention the fibreglass splinters in all sorts of nooks and crannies :eek:

Do you take the huge pile of dusty, dirty, possum soiled batts in the family car to the next house and do it all in reverse?

Not me!

Just realised you are the same chap who wants to do your own conveyancing. You are a glutton for punishment aren't you :)

Leave him alone, he is my kind of guy and may give me some scrooge saving idea's as I am known to do.:D

There's no reason not to use the batts again. Who cares if they're dirty! The new ones will be just as bad.
One tip; don't leave batts in the rain. They turn into useless piles of mush!

Yeah Wylie,

Whilst I am still young and poor, I will be doing everything I can to save every cent. A dollar saved is a dollar earned! After I have 20 or so properties I will probably ease up a little. Live like Buffett is what I say! Family and charity are more important.

Another idea I had was to buy a reno, go to the local dumpster and use the timber/gyprock etc.. materials found to do the place up. I would only be doing this in low priced houses and I think it would work well. I may have to spend a few $$ for the materials I cannot find, but I will surely save some money this way. I will use my uni mates for free labour too! Then I would order a depreciation schedule and claim their residual values of the things found in the tip! Can't lose doing it that way! But may need to buy a few aerosol cans:eek:

In all seriousness though; I have no building experience so wouldn't know if it is practical to use the batts again - but give it a go I say!

Yeah Wylie,

Whilst I am still young and poor, I will be doing everything I can to save every cent. A dollar saved is a dollar earned! After I have 20 or so properties I will probably ease up a little. Live like Buffett is what I say! Family and charity are more important.

Another idea I had was to buy a reno, go to the local dumpster and use the timber/gyprock etc.. materials found to do the place up. I would only be doing this in low priced houses and I think it would work well. I may have to spend a few $$ for the materials I cannot find, but I will surely save some money this way. I will use my uni mates for free labour too! Then I would order a depreciation schedule and claim their residual values of the things found in the tip! Can't lose doing it that way! But may need to buy a few aerosol cans:eek:

In all seriousness though; I have no building experience so wouldn't know if it is practical to use the batts again - but give it a go I say!

im a tightarse ethno but you need to draew a line between being careful and silly and i think things like doing your own conveyancing is penny wise pound foolish

Thanks sanj,

I've retreated from the idea of DIY conveyancing as you can read in the other thread and I totally agree. I would rather spend money to make money (i.e. a nice looking place will attract more rent) but if I can do it cheap or free I will try my best to do it that way.

If you don't have fibreglass batts and they're quite new, sure.

The pain of trying to make sure you don't leave a trail of glass splinters would outweigh any savings IMHO ... from the old house to your car to the interior of the new house (assuming you're going through the manhole ... eep)

I'd be trawling ebay/gumtree/trading post for anyone selling cheap NEW insulation or leftover bags from other jobs on special or something, personally. I'm past being ultra-cheap and down to just regular cheap these days.

If you feel the need to save some $$

My view point only,

Batts fibreglass - NO WAY WHAT SO EVER

Batts Earthwool - MAYBE YES its not as itchy as fibreglass

Batts Polyester - YES no issues with these.

I will not touch fibreglass batts new or old, I only use polyester.

Of course if you intend on doing it take a sheet of the roof for ventilation where appropriate PPE and MASK not those paper (P2) things, your health is more important. If there is asbestos FORGET IT and turn the electricals OFF.

Fibreglass batts were selling for about $1.00 a SQM not so long back.

Have to admit have never considered saving monies by reusing batts. Have stripped a house out set for removal and stored the gear and reused. Even now I'm not sure I would consider doing that again.

I now look at ways to better use my time to make money.

Good luck

Brian

Coming from an old house are they going to have the required R-value to satisfy the requirements of the BCA anyway?

Tools

Last edited:
Like everyone says, if you've got fibreglass insulation I bet you'll regret it. The other ones it isn't so bad for, but I'm itching just thinking about crawling around my roofspace with that stupid blow-in fibreglass

Back