Split loans

Hi Brian

As for split loans, the advantage is that your home loan, with interest that isn't tax deductible, is payed off more quickly.

The interest on the LOC is tax deductible as the purpose for which the loan is incurred is to maintain an IP which produces assessable income. The fact that the LOC is secured on the home is irrelevant as far as deductibility is concerned.

Its a long time since I read the relevant Tax Ruling, but from memory it defined split loans in considerable detail, & stated that it only applied to arrangements which had the same structure.

The arrangement I am describing has the same effect but has a different structure.

As far as I understand, if you borrow to pay interest on investment loan, the interest you pay on new borrowing is deductible. However in the arrangement suggested by NIF I can see a problem with principal repayments. Consider an example:

1. PPOR Loan has $100K balance + redraw
2. IP loan has $100K balance
3. Min repayments are $1k/m to each loan
4. Instead of paying this, the borrower (as suggested by NIF) pays $2K to the PPOR loan, draws $1K back and pays it to the IP loan.

Looks fine so far. The next month he repeats the procedure repaying $2K to the PPOR loan with the intention to repay the principal, but wouldn't it be first applied to $1K drawn a month earlier?

Lotana
---------------------------
I hate :mad: those comedy TV shows that tell me where I should laugh (lol) :D challenging my intelligence :cool: . :) :) :)

Hi Folks,

This issue has been raised a few times before. I used the term "capitalising" as the search term and returned a few interesting threads which are worth reading again.

Borrowing for expenses
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5226&highlight=capitalising

tax deduction question on LOC
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=464&highlight=capitalising

tax bonanza on home loans
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4261&highlight=capitalising

capitalising interest
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3849&highlight=capitalising

"Link Loans, Anyone know? "
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3871&highlight=capitalising

Finance
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4930&highlight=capitalising

Limit to Tax deductable borrowings
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2848&highlight=capitalising
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In one of the threads, Dale said the following:

If there is a commercial reason for doing so, then you should be able to claim a tax deduction for the interest on the total borrowing so long as the funds are used for an income producing purpose.

So, if I borrow $110k to pay $100k Ip and use the other $10k for Ip related costs including interest then there is no problem.

Moreover, as an example, if the extra $10k meant that my borrowings were over a certain amount and in doing so, I now qualify for a lower interest rate then I have a commercial reason that will withstand scrutiny.

Does this help?

Dale - 21-02-2002

Mmmm...I wonder if Dale still thinks that way, today?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a feeling that this Deductibility of Capitalised Interest issue is a red herring anyway. To prove that I've done some calculations. Assume you have 2 properties. One is your PPOR and the other is your IP. Both properties have loans of $100,000 and the interest rate on both loans is 10%. However, the PPOR loan is P&I and the IP loan is Interest-only. The rent on the IP is $10,000 p.a. which covers the interest payments.

PPOR

Starting Principal: $100,000
Interest Rate: 10%
Years: 25
Yearly Payments P&I = $10,904
After 25 years P&I = $272,600
After 25 years Interest paid = $172,600

If we capitalise the interest on the IP and put all the rent into the home loan then the yearly payment on the home loan is $20,904.

PPOR is paid off in 6 years and 7 months.
Time saved is 18 years and 5 months.
Yearly Payments P&I = $20,904
Interest saved: $135,989

How much interest is now owed on the IP?
$92,566.91
Remember, there are two components in this figure: 1) $65,800 is the interest-only amount we would have paid without capitalising the interest, and 2) $26,766.91 is the extra interest accrued due to the compounding of the capitalised interest. The so-called interest-on-interest that the ATO doesn't want to be deductible.

According to the ATO only the $65,800 is tax deductible.
If we assume that 50% of your interest deductions are returned in the tax refund then, theoretically, you could add a yearly lumpsum of $5,000 to your PPOR loan repayments. How does that effect the loan term?

Yearly Payments P&I = $25,904
Loan Term reduced to 5 years.
Time saved is 20 years.
After 5 years Interest paid = $27,482
Interest saved = $145,118

How much interest is now owed on the IP?
$64,530.89

So, by reducing the loan term on the PPOR to 5 years, the accumulated interest on the IP is also reduced by $28,000.

What is the next step?

The total loan on the IP is now $164,530.
At 10% the yearly interest-only payment is now $16,453.
If rent is still $10,000 p.a. then an extra $6,453 must be found from another income source. Hopefully, the rent would have risen over the 5 years.

Well, I hope this example has clarified the power of the linked or split loan. Remember, the calculation did not factor in the compound interest component of $26,766.91, which would only have improved the end result by a small amount. Therefore, this calculation shows that the deductibility of the capitalised interest above the level of interest which is deductible is a minor issue and shouldn't blind us from recognising the real advantage of delaying interest payments on the IP and putting all the rental income into the PPOR loan. Remember, the ATO is not against us capitalising the interest.

I'd just like to finish off by mentioning a couple of other things:

I think the term Split Loan as used by the ATO is a bit confusing because in Lender's terms a Split Loan is a product which is a combination of a fixed rate loan and a variable rate loan.

The ATO also uses the term Linked loans to describe other strucures where the loans are not part of the same product but the interest on one loan is still capitalised. LOC's can also achieve the same effect but the downside always of using a LOC is that the borrowing limit is used to reduce your borrowing capacity irrespective of whether you have used any LOC funds. ie a $20,000 LOC is considered a debt of $20,000 when calculating your available equity and your current LVR even though you may not have drawn anything from it. The same applies to credit cards.

Finally, found this in a Media Release on the ATO website:

"Last year (2001/02), the ATO conducted 594 audits resulting in amended assessments and penalties of around $90 million. Our investigations resulted in 121 prosecutions and 60 jail sentences. This year we are increasing our serious investigation group to 300 officers (pg 21)."

This statement might put the frights into some people, and yet others may think they are paltry statistics, indeed. How did you first react when you read this?

Regards, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
In the previous post I said that the compound interest component was $26,766.91 after 6 years and 7 months. However, if the PPOR is paid out after 5 years then we have capitalised $50,000 of deductible interest plus $14,530.89 of non-deductible interest.

Now, my question is can we pay or offset the interest-on-interest component during the term to minimise this amount payable? If we could then the interest-on-interest payable is reduced to $13,093.47. A saving of $1,437.42 over the 5 year term.

I guess if putting the extra $13,093 towards the PPOR would make a significant difference to paying it out quicker then probably not worth worrying about.

I think what is important to take out of the previous post is that for the sake of paying an extra $14,530 in non-deductible compound interest to save $145,118 of non-deductible interest on the home loan then the ATO case seems totally irrelevant to me in deciding whether to use this strategy. Why have people on this forum in the past focussed on this and not put the issue in it's proper perspective?

I'm waiting to hear a reply from the mortgage brokers on this forum. If they give the strategy their blessing then I'll do it if my lender can do it. Something I'd like to know, though, is after the home loan is paid off does the capitalised interest on the IP have to be paid down to the original loan amount of $100,000 or can we simply pay interest-only on the new amount post capitalisation which is $164,530?

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Hi all,

Interesting thread developing here on the topic of split loans... Loved your post Mike. Very logical and when put into perspective it's hard to see why you WOULDN'T adopt this strategy, regardless of the ATO's current appeal to the high court!

The reality is that the benefits and structure of split loans are currently available, and legal, to people who wish to do so and structure their affairs accordingly. ie LOC to fund IP expenses/interest,etc as discussed in previous posts.

Quoting Austral's Managing Director, Vicki Edema the so called pioneer of the split loan facility:

"It seems outrageous to us that a structure can be available to wealthier people who devote more time and money to structuring their affairs, whilst the same advantages are not available to the average person who chooses to go the Wealth Optimiser route. The ATO seeks to deny Wealth Optimiser clients advantages enjoyed by others, apparently because of the sheer simplicity of the structure we have created."

I agree with her in the sense that their "wealth Optimiser home loan" is a very simple yet flexible/fully feautured and competitive product, which allows the average Joe blow investor to adopt this strategy quite easily.... ie more accessible. The wealth Optimiser product is competitive even without the advantages the ATO seeks to deny people.

Split loans were very popular until the ATO became alarmed about the potential blowout in lost revenue due to the tax claims for compound interest, which as we know, accelerate the tax benefits of negative gearing. It issued an adverse public ruling in 1997 and funded a test case which resulted in last month's 3-0 judgement in favour of taxpayers.

As we all know, at the centre of the court action was a Canberra couple, Richard and Trudy Hart, who five years ago refinanced their old house,rented it out, and bought a new house. They borrowed $300,000 via an Austral Mortgage wealth optimiser loan, split into home and investment accounts. They directed all payments to the home loan, making no interest or principal payments on the investment account.

As a result, the mortgage on the new house, with its non-tax-deductible interest, was paid off in six years instead of 25, while tax-deductible interest on the investment loan, relating to the old house, compounded, increasing the tax deduction by $170,000 in the Harts' case.

Justice Graham Hill said the split loan was "certainly explicable only by the taxation consequences" and clearly created greater tax deductions for interest than would otherwise have been available. Nonetheless, he said the Harts' main purpose was to finance the two properties, not to avoid tax. Justices Richard Conti and Peter Hely agreed, citing John Howard, who 19 years ago, when he was federal treasurer, introduced PartIVA of the general tax avoidance section of the Tax Act, and said the provision was confined to "schemes of the blatant or paper variety".

Deloitte tax partner and former ATO deputy chief tax counsel Michael Bersten says the ATO, like anyone else, has about a one in 10 chance of getting the High Court to hear its appeal.

He is also of the view that if the ATO is unsuccessful, Treasury could also seek to have the law changed. But Bersten says that could be "challenging" in an environment where the Federal Government appears "resistant" to introducing more specific tax-avoidance rules.

"The actual arrangement involves a very basic deduction provision, so you'd probably need a specific anti-avoidance provision," Bersten says.

Still, he advises caution: "Investors also still have to pay the interest some day, so you need to be aware of the risks if the tax benefit is denied,"

I think its important for people to remember that this type of loan structure will be more beneficial to some than others, though if your a property investor, or investor in general(some lenders will allow the same structure for share investments,etc)and you have a loan on your PPOR, then overall, as Mike clearly pointed out, the advantages clearly outweigh the disadvantages.
I think THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU you need to weigh up/determine whether this product is beneficial to you or works for you, WITHOUT THE TAX EFFECTIVENESS!!! If you go into a resonable product without the tax benefit then there is no downside. Also, the High Court application may not be heard for many many months, but in the meantime a borrower that has this structure is in no worse a position. They're setting themselves up in a tax-effective structure and not paying any more for it. The interest rate is exactly the same as any standard lines of credit. And if your already thinking about refinancing, purchasing,etc then there is nothing to lose I reckon ie no break fees,etc

There has been many years of uncertainty brought on by the ATO's position. You would have hoped that a unanimous full bench decision would have put the matter to rest, particularly as the position the ATO seeks to put is not consistent with its attitude and rulings when there are two separate loans from different lenders, heh?!

Anyway, have alot more thoughts about this topic.A friend of mine has a split loan facility with Austral already, and I myself am considering switching to this structure soon. But can't get into any more details right now. (it's late, and my wife is calling me to bed again! :)

Mike, will find out about your question re whether once PPOR loan paid off if the repayments on the capitalised IP loan being just paid down to original loan amount or whether you can just pay IO on the new amount post capitalisation?? I suspect it depends on whether you go with like an Austral product or just restructure your loans with existing lender,etc for the same effect?

anyway, keep the posts on this topic coming along!!!

regards,

Darren

Mike:

Fantastic post concerning the numbers. I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with your assertions, however.

I was considering doing exactly the same thing (in fact I will still do so using several different sets of figures to see how they apply in my particular situation - eg. $PPOR < $IP, $PPOR > $IP etc).

Firstly, I wish to clarify something you said: "assuming 50% of your interest deductions are returned as your tax refund". Assuming top marginal tax rate of 48.5%, and given that the rental income equals the interest payable (which by itself produces no nett gain or loss), by what means were you inferring that one could achieve a tax refund equivalent to 50% of the interest bill? This in turn implies claiming additional deductions roughly equal to the amount of interest (ie. $10K). Were you assuming that other expenses such as rates, insurances, prop. management fees, and depreciation amount to this? Some confusion here on my part. For the sake of this reply, however, I've just continued with your assumptions, irrespective of this issue.

Since I love fiddling with numbers, I thought I'd try adding something to this also.

Firstly, I thought I'd look at what happens if you were entitled to claim the interest-on-capitalised-interest as tax deductible. This has the effect of increasing your tax deductions, hence your tax refund. Capitalising the interest on the IP, after 12 months of ownership the total interest bill is $10471, which is $471 more than the expected $10K due to capitalisation of the interest. This continues:

Year 1 - $10417
Year 2 - $11567
Year 3 - $12779
Year 4 - $14117
Year 5 - $15595
TOTAL - $64530

Adding the original $100K loan this gives $164530 as per Mike's calculations.

Side note: interest is capitalised monthly according to these calculations.

Second side note: if you take out any loan with the intent of capitalising the interest, the best strategy is to have interest calculated daily and debited at the longest possible period. Eg. interest debited quarterly is better than debited monthly, since the compounding effects will be less (so long as the interest rate is the same).

Assuming the ATO will permit a deduction against our interest-on-capitalised-interest and give us 48.5% of this amount back each year as a tax refund, assuming top marginal rate (and assuming, for simplicity's sake, that our "years" run July to June to coincide with Financial Years), we get back the following refunds:

Year 1 - $5078
Year 2 - $5610
Year 3 - $6197
Year 4 - $6846
Year 5 - $7563
TOTAL - $31297

On the other hand, if you did not claim the interest-on-capitalised-interest as deductible, you would receive a consistent refund of $4850 each year, for a total of $24250. The difference in refunds amounts to $7047.

The difference in the two refund amounts is not trivial, but it is not substantial either, in my opinion. Pouring the additional refund monies into the PPOR reduces the PPOR loan term to about 4 years 7 months.

Side Note: Whether the tax refund is applied as a lump sum or whether it is applied on a monthly basis (as the result of a tax reduction authority perhaps applied to salary) does make some degree of difference on how quickly the principal is reduced (paid monthly in equal instalments over the year reduces the loan quicker than one lump sum each year).

Back to the original issue, the IP now has a loan of $164530 because of the capitalised interest.

I would contest that whilst the loan against the PPOR is now cleared, you haven't truly "paid off" your PPOR because now some of that debt now resides with the IP. The interest on $64530 isn't tax deductible, so it produces no more benefit than if that same debt was attached to the PPOR.

The IP is worse off than from where it began, so to truly compare apples-to-apples I believe one needs to return the IP loan back to $100K to see where each scheme stands in relative merit.

With Mike's figures the yearly payment against the PPOR was $25904. Applying this same payment to the IP requires another 5.5 years approximately to reduce the IP principal back to $100K.

The total timeframe to complete this scenario is therefore 5+5.5 = 10.5 years.

Mike also suggested there was a $5K tax refund available which should nonetheless be available whether interest is capitalised or not, since we assume the capitalised interest does not affect the tax deductible income or outgoings in respect of the IP.

What then happens to the PPOR loan if instead it is simply paid down at $10,904 per year PLUS the tax refund, and the IP interest is *not* capitalised.

We therefore have a PPOR loan of $100000 being paid at the rate of $10904+$5000=$15904 per annum, and no interest is capitalised against the IP.

My calculations shows that this $100K debt will be repaid after 10 years 4 months, leaving the IP loan at its original value of $100K. Comparing apples-to-apples, this is pretty much identical to capitalising the interest.

(The slight difference is simply because in my calculation the last repayment on each loan usually "overpays" the balance of the principal, and I did not try and reconsider that "overpayment" somewhere else).

My point is that, without the tax-deductibility benefit of the interest-on-capitalised-interest, you are no better off (in my opinion) capitalising the interest versus just paying off the two properties in the regular manner, if you compare the outcomes in an apples-to-apples manner. That is, if you want to get your PPOR paid off and your IP loan reduced to its original (opening balance) neither strategy is better than the other.

I think I said this in one of my previous posts, which was more "off the top of my head" but now I am relatively convinced of it.

Only the tax deductibility of the interest-on-capitalised-interest makes a difference because it entitles you to a bigger refund cheque, all other things being equal, and this bigger refund cheque in turn provides for more money to be paid against the PPOR, hence reducing the term of the loan.

I thought I'd address this subject secondly, the issue of where the property owner stands with respect to the capitalised loan of $164530.

My assumption (nothing more) is that lenders allow these capitalising loans on the basis that the sum of the securities is sufficient to cover both the loans.

Assuming the $100K IP loan was originally taken out at 80% LVR, this puts the value of the property at $125K.

Assuming a modest capital growth of 5% per annum, after 5 years the property would be valued at $160K. The loan, with capitalised interest, is now at 103% LVR, presumably above the bank's parameters.

My guess, therefore, is that unless the IP produces significant growth that equals or exceeds the interest rate, then the LVR of the IP loan will steadily increase, potentially to a point where the IP itself is insufficient security for the bank.

The bank will want to therefore possibly want to retain security over the PPOR to cover themselves methinks. So whilst you may have paid off your PPOR, it perhaps is still not unencumbered.

Simply another form of x-collaterisation I guess.

I would like to make sure I understand one issue with the capitalised interest scenario. Am I right that the idea is to direct all funds to the PPOR part of the split for a few years until it is paid off and then pay all available money to the IP part of the split assuming it will apply to the capitalised interest first? If this is true, there will be no interest deductions in the first few years until the PPOR split is paid off. Correct?

Cheers,

Lotana

Thanks Darren and Kevin for adding your great posts to this discussion. I really enjoyed them and will respond to Kevin's post soon.

To answer Lotana:
If this is true, there will be no interest deductions in the first few years until the PPOR split is paid off. Correct?
Lotana, the tax deduction is allowable when the bank charges you the interest. Therefore, you can claim the deduction on the tax-deuctible portion of IP interest each year while you are paying off the debt on your home loan.

Regards, Mike

Hi Kevin,

Interesting arguement and numbers you put forth concerning Mike's split loan scenario...

I have a few initial thoughts regarding what you have said but way too busy to respond at the moment. Will do so as soon as i get the chance.

regards,

Darren

Hi Kevin,

Due to time constraints I'll answer your first query now and respond to the rest of your excellent post in another post soon.

Firstly, I wish to clarify something you said: "assuming 50% of your interest deductions are returned as your tax refund". Assuming top marginal tax rate of 48.5%, and given that the rental income equals the interest payable (which by itself produces no nett gain or loss), by what means were you inferring that one could achieve a tax refund equivalent to 50% of the interest bill? This in turn implies claiming additional deductions roughly equal to the amount of interest (ie. $10K). Were you assuming that other expenses such as rates, insurances, prop. management fees, and depreciation amount to this? Some confusion here on my part. - Kevin
The figure of 50% was used at random and assumed, as you correctly determined, that a Net Rent Loss was achieved using other deductions as per a typical Negative Geared IP. I decided to check the accuracy of that ballpark figure by using the calculators on the ATO website to workout a tax refund based on the Net Rent Loss versus the Net Taxable Income.

In Example 1 I assumed the Gross Income was $100,000 with a marginal rate of 47% and included the Medicare Levy. Based on the ATO calculator the tax withheld is $35,932.

In Example 2 I assumed the Gross Income was $50,000 with a marginal rate of 30% and included the Medicare Levy. Based on the ATO calculator the tax withheld is $12,168.

The Taxable Income is derived by subtracting the Net Rent Loss from the Gross Income.

The table clearly shows that 50% is a realistic ballpark figure for those on a high income. But for those on an average income a better ballpark figure is 25-33%. Interesting trend to note is that as the Net Rent Loss increases relative to the fixed Gross Income the refund as a percentage reduces.

Since the refund is smaller for those on an average income it goes without saying that the PPOR would take slightly longer to pay off. But the main idea is correct - that any refund put into the Home loan is going to reduce the term.

Mike

/forums/photopost/data/506/3vacancy_rates_2.jpg

[ EDIT: moved image to photo gallery and replaced with image link - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is that, without the tax-deductibility benefit of the interest-on-capitalised-interest, you are no better off (in my opinion) capitalising the interest versus just paying off the two properties in the regular manner, if you compare the outcomes in an apples-to-apples manner. That is, if you want to get your PPOR paid off and your IP loan reduced to its original (opening balance) neither strategy is better than the other. - Kevin (post #26)
Hi Kevin,

Have finally found time to look at your figures in post #26 and agree that the IP is back to the original capital amount of $100,000 in just over 10 years. Therefore, I agree that the Split Loan or Wealth Optimiser scheme is no different to the Interest Offset scheme unless a further deduction on the compounded (extra) interest can be made and that amount be added to the repayments of the PPOR loan. In fact, a downside of the split loan scheme is that the IP will have to be secured against the PPOR because of its rising LVR. With the Interest Offset scheme the IP could remain self-secured if it was purchased with a LVR of 80% and the interest-only payments made.

My question is this:

Putting the security issue aside, if both schemes are identical in their outcomes, why shouldn't we switch to the split loan scheme now in anticipation that the extra interest will become taxdeductible? If it doesn't, financially, we are no worse off. If it does, those already in the SL scheme could shorten the term further by up to two years if they are on the top marginal rate.

The other potential advantage of the SL scheme is that after the PPOR is paid off the IP could be refinanced interest-only to the new capital base. In our example, the new IP loan would be $164,530 and the yearly interest payment at 10% would be just over $16,000 which would be covered by the tax refund and rent, thereby making it self-supporting. This scenario improves your cash flow since none of your wages has to support either property.

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
HI

My advice on this subject has been to wait until the matter is finalised.

The tax office have shown a willingness to fight this issue from abt 1994 and have resolutely stood firm on the lack of tax deduction.

I know the courts have found otherwise, so far, but, it is not unusual in tax law for a higher court to overturn the decisions of the lower court.

Furthermore, the tax office have also made noises to the effect that they will ask parliament to introduce new laws that will specifically exclude such loans from tax deductions. . . .

I know it is appealing idea that we can get an advantage this way, but, I am not prepared to do it myself, or, recommend it to my clients. And, for those of you who think the tax office is fair, and logical and will not act retrospectively . . . can I live in your world for a little while??!!??

There are better and more effective ways to do this.

Have fun

Dale

Hiya Rolf!

Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan, too? Beauty!

Have fun and congrats on the wedding too - its about time she made an honest man of you :D

Have fun

Dale

HI

The split loan concept relies on the investor owing one IP and having both properties in their own names. Right?

As you know by now, I do not think that this is the smartest way to go at all simply because of the lack of flexibility to use the structures available to you to reduce the taxes over time.

Once you have repaid the loans then redrawing the funds to use for private purposes causes the new loan to NOT be tax deductible.

So, I think that a better idea is to use a trust (here we go again, I can hear you say) because of the flexibilities to both reduce tax and increase flexibility all around.

For example, a trust will allow you to redraw a new loan against a fully paid off property and use those funds for private purposes -example, a new PPOR, a new boat, a holiday etc - and, still get a legitimate tax deduction for the interest.

And, I am sure that Rolf can explain than me anyway the idea of a LOC having a similar benefit to a split loan without the threat of the tax ofice . . .

Does this help?

Dale

Hi Dale,

(I hope you realise my previous post was said "tongue-in-cheek", not as a "demand").

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the tax deductability issues of a trust have been well covered yet on this forum. I know a discretionary trust can assist with diverting income to any beneficiary, and its use for asset protection, but how does one use a trust to allow one to redraw funds from a PPOR for private expenditure and make the interest tax deductible?

This to me seems like the "trifecta" of reasons to use a trust.

Your further explanation would be greatly appreciated, as would anything Rolf wants to add on the LOC issue.

Hi all

Im citing the 5th amendment :O)

This thread is getting a little sidetracked, therefore I will later today start a new thread called:

Having your cake and eating it

Ta

rolf

Back