Splitting house into 3 separate dwellings

Fire egress
Fire separation

Electrical separation: no circuits in common between units; new panels to support the vastly increased number of circuits required for multiple dwellings; multiple meters and higher capacity feeder

Plumbing and sewage separation: unless the op intends to pay for water use, submetering
a restriction in the sewer, and the upper floor unit flushes the toilet, without backflow prevention in the lower two floors sewers. . . . . . . yuk​

Smoke alarms, interconnected and hard-wired

There are no shortcuts in the conversion of a single dwelling to multiple units, the conversion becomes subject to current building code, which may be very different to the age of construction of the property, no grandfather clauses.

Of course most of these BS developments aren't compliant, its expensive to do it properly.
When hsit happens in one of those non-compliant units ? it will.
Is the rent enough to cover the legals when the insurer responds to the claim KMAYOYO ?

I have posted building code on somersoft, If they aren't still up I can post another

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :)

It's a tough one because how do you know that what your buying will be able to serve it's purpose as dual income? You don't really know until you buy it, and if it doesn't work out then you could be stuck with a house that's returning a lot less than originally thought, plus it could be an issue to re-sell.

Can't agree more !

I had built an dual occupancy a few years ago. It's great to have the rent doubled. I feel it's difficult to sell as the titles can't be separated.

It's very attractive to see the potential :)

Last edited:
Back