Splitting House to make 2 dwellings Electricity help ???

We are looking at a house in a great growth area that would be very easily made into a 1 bedroom flat downstairs and 3/1/2 upstairs but the problem is what to do with the electricity I believe the it has not been wired separately any suggestions one PM said to just estimate a weekly amount for electricity and add to rent but with the cost of electricity we could have a big blow out at the end of each quarter
Help ???

Thanks

To do it legally wont you need council approval and fire separation installed?

They can be hard to insure if not legally converted

No it would be an investment although we are considering if husband keeps working in the area he may move into the bottom 1 bed flat

Hi molly, I had this done for my property 2 months ago in Melbourne. It costed about $2,500. We split the existing electricity into two separate meters, one for upstairs (3 bedroom, 1 bathroom), one for downstairs (1/1). We rent top and bottom separately. We did not upgrade the existing main electricity feed, and did not add a new one either, instead we split the 32amps feed into 2X16amps. Not much for upstairs but it should be sufficient. Certified electrician did the work and provided the compliance documents. I haven't actually checked with council, not sure why they would have a say though, it is more a matter with the electricity provider I think, which did not ask specific questions, like "do you have he council approval" and did not create any issues, instead said right from the start that it was possible and could be arranged. I can't guaranty that what we did is fully legit, I'm just reporting what we have done here for your consideration :)

Dave, do you have more information on what is the right way to actually do this. What do you mean by "fire separation installed" and "not legally converted"?

Basically, you are creating two dwellings and are required to provide fire separation in accordance with the Building Code of Australia to ensure that if a fire breaks out in one unit, that it does not spread heat, flame or smoke to the other premises. Fire separation includes fire rated ceilings, fire collars on pipes, fire dampers on air conditioning/exhausts etc.

The other consideration is noise separation - this includes floor as well as any pipes (drainage) which go between the two units.

Legal conversion requires council approval, meeting the planning requirements eg for parking, smoke detectors, kitchens, ceiling heights, ventilation, light etc.

instead we split the 32amps feed into 2X16amps.

Under the maximum demand rules in AS3000 I doubt this will pass. Unless there is just power and lights with less than 20 of each per unit.

No electric stove/oven, airconditioning, water heater.
I feel sorry for the poor tenant every time they use the kettle and the fridge kicks in at same time they would trip the power :rolleyes:

Spend the extra money to get it properly separated.

I've had hassles between tenants on a shared meter and it's not worth doing.

If you incorporate the electricity into the rent the tenants may well treat it like an endless free supply of electricity. Heaters or aircon never turned off.

Back