Spray or Drip ?

Before anyone jumps in ... I'm talking about in the garden not the bedroom.
For the garden irrigation of my not yet completed, but moving along nicely, development in Essendon, Melb.

I've been recommended to use sprayers on a manual wind-up timer.
I'd thought that drippers on a continuous electrical timer would be better for upmarket executive tenants, since they are even less work. needing to change the backup battery once a year only. Plus with water restrictions, drippers should become more the mainstream in time anyway ... I feel.

What do you do for your tenants' gardens ?

What do you do for your tenants' gardens ?[/QUOTE]

Patosan,
i let the brisbane city council look after the footpath
and as long as they pay the rent each friday
i dont care less whats growing in the backyard
it only takes a day to bring the garden back to life.
good luck
willair..

Hello Patosan

I feel quite strongly that sprays should no longer be installed as they are very wasteful regarding water usage. Drippers are recognised as a much more efficient way of watering - lose v.little to evaporation and of course isn't subject to the prevailing wind so you need to water less frequently.

We have been subject to water restrictions here for some time now and when water gets really tight sprays are banned, but a drip system is allowed. The local Government is even running free workshops to educate and encourage people to changeover to drippers.

Water is a hot issue in Oz :(

Cheers
Bawley

It pays to keep an eye on the gardens, and I can tell you from expensive tree removal experience, that thinking about and planning your planting before you do it is the cheapest option :)
Think low maintenance, height limits and suitability of plant to area (eg no Benjamina Ficus trees to be transplanted outside of their pots!!), and try to avoid planting right up alongside the property exterior walls. This can cause problems with rising damp and foundations as well as open invitations to termites for easier access to the house :)
As for drip vs spray, given the current water restrictions, we haven't used spray for quite some time now. I'm relying on the goodness of God to provide a little rain every now and again :)

I'd go for drippers. Look at what we are going through in Sydney.
If you have drippers you can water; sprinklers are out & we can only hand hose Wednesday & Sunday, before 10am & after 4pm. No hosing of hard surfaces; car washing to be by bucket.

If Victoria goes the same way, your sprinklers could be a waste of money. Have a look at the Sydney Water website. It might save you money in the long run.
cheers
blossomoz

blossomoz said:
car washing to be by bucket.

That is the biggest load-of-crap rule ever invented. :confused:

The most efficient way of washing your car is with a hose, with one of these on the end:

2941.gif

To prove it, when you wash your car next time, time yourself, in seconds, how long you use the hose for rinsing your car down. Then, try washing your car with buckets, and using the spray nozzle on the end of your hose, time how long it takes to fill up the bucket every time you wish to rinse your car.

Yes Merovingian, I fully agree with you, as would most of NSW.

However in its wisdon the NSW government has decreed that a bucket or similar must be used. Using a bucket actually uses more water but we have no choice as it is part of our water restrictions.
cheers
blossomoz

Back