Stamp Duty on 2 properties

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I had been here what with life and having fun but here is something that's happened.

Thoughts from anyone or a warning to others. At no time was this even remotely known could happen so there was never any cheating of the system. In fact had we known this it could have quite easily been avoided via different dates etc etc

The state is Queensland.

Last year my wife and I purchased two new homes and I shall outline a few of the points here.

1. The homes were on separate titles but side by side.
2. The buyers (my wife and I) were the same on both.
3. The sellers were the same (a prominent solicitor, accountant and property developer) on both.
4. Two separate contracts were formed and executed.
5. Neither contract was not conditional upon settlement of the other being effected.
6. Both contracts were conditional upon independent finance approval, ie one may have been approved and not the other, buyer (us) would have had to proceed on one and not the other had this been the case.
7. One cheque was draw for the deposit but was allocated and held by the deposit holder (solicitor) in separate ledgers.
8. Two separate files were opened and separate searches carried out. The buyer was advised on each purchase independently of the other file and no step was taken on any particular file until instructions were given on that particular file. The sellers solicitor also opened two separate files.
9. Two separate loans were obtained by the buyer and two separate loan reporting is in place.

The Office of State Revenue has now decided that these form one arrangement and have combined the two separate purchases into one thus raising the purchase price and hence the stamp duty accordingly by $x,xxx

At no time were we even remotely made aware that this could be done and given I am a long standing real estate principal this is the first time I have heard of such a thing. They say Section 30 has been applied.

David - consider yourself royally done over by our friendly egalitarian money hungry state governments. I have heard of this being done and arguing with these guys is like arguiing with the parking inspector... wasted breath.

it usually comes into play when developers buy adjoining blocks. yours seems to be a harsh application but hey you know... law unto themselves.

i also love this business of double stamp duty just because you want to change the name on the offer before settlement. every time i see our slimy state treasurer on the TV banging on about how he is cutting stamp duty so much I just want to...grrr! "There shouldn't be ANY stamp duty you thieves!!"

Thanks for that timely warning, David!

Nothing would surprise me with the government in this state! As Ausprop says - there shouldn't be any stamp duty!!! This was all supposed to be abolished after the implementation of the GST.

Cheers
LynnH

"There shouldn't be ANY stamp duty you thieves!!"

Plus I hate seeing them on TV gloating about how they are doing it for the working families and battlers when they have STOLEN our hard earned money. You do more time stealing $100 from a granny than $1M from a "high net worth" individual. The great robbery at its finest.

But back to your dilemma, only way to avoid in future is change the contract and settlement dates substantially.

Thanks everyone, its just over $4,700 MORE !!

Like I have that in my back pocket and its 12 months ago we bought them. Had we know they could do this at the time I would have borrowed more and been done with it but its still WRONG.

hi david
a similar thing happened to us ,we purchased three blocks of land next to each other ,from the developer over 18 months period.state revenue office argued that we made a deal with the developer to purchases the blocks at a cheaper price,but this was not the case.our lawyer knew of this ruling (section 22 duties act 2001). this was brought it to our attention when we purchased block no. three . our lawyer made a submission to the state revenue office on our behalf and was successful saving us 1k in extra stamp duty.
regards bram

Same thing happened to us, we even had to pay on the block that was just in one of our names. We bought 3 blocks in the same estate (not even next to each other). Ended up paying a whole lot more.

appeal to the ombudsman. make it VERY formal.

this situation is just money grabbing, pure and simple.

sorry to hear that even our own government is guilty of extortion, and someone like yourself is the victim.

Back