Stamp Duty

Hi everyone

My question is a brief one.

I was told that Stamp Duty is not payable when buying "off-the-plan" - is this correct??

The State I am looking at purchasing in is QLD.

Your advice is appreciated

Cheers

Keenas :)

Hi keenas,

buying what off the plan? Apartment, or house/duplex? Some more info...

You shouldn't be paying the full amount of stamp duty as it would be levied against the finished product (end value).

You will pay an amount equivalent to the land component that the property has apportioned to it, i.e: less if it is an apartment in a large development and more if it house and land package or a duplex, townhouse or similar.

The benefit is the amount you save by B.O.F. against buying when the product is finished...higher value has higher stamp duty levied against it.

I have purchased in QLD (brand new 4 BR box on land) as a house and land package and only paid stamp duty on the land at outset.

Strictly speaking you pay stamp duty on the value of the property at the time of signing the contract. Prior to construction commencing, that's only on the land component.

In many appartment buildings, the land value of the individual units is quite low, so the stamp duty is minimal.

Keep in mind though, the building depreciates (goes down in value over time), whilst the land becomes more scares, so it goes up in value. Properties with the best capital growth tend to be those with a high land value.

Back