Staying motivated on a low income?

I'd love to be able to save even $100 a week, i simply can't afford it. I'm really looking forward to a pay rise though, because i can't even afford to buy myself a 1 bed unit in my area! :(

You will in time. Keep plugging away & save the extra from the pay rises. Before you know it, you'll snag your first.;):D

:D
Planning to go to an OFI this weekend, 2 bed flat $200-$250k, in other words $250-$300k and way out of my price range...:)

Lil Skater, you need to have a chat to DeeHwa, he'll tell you how you can buy a $400K property! ;)

Don't worry too much, you're only young (18 or 19 from memory?)! As your Mum said, keep saving and you'll get there soon enough. You have the right mind set and that's the most important thing. I was 22 when I bought my first place, although it was non-DeeHwa approved. :p Keep working hard, you've just started I believe, so probably at the bottom of the ladder, so it's all up from here including your pay. :D

At the moment my expenses add up to about $520 a week, so a lot for my wage.
Ye gods ... I have this budget spreadsheet here (excluding one of the home loans that is covered by rent completely) that says we have $681 out per fortnight inclusive of everything else, and that's for 4.5 people! :eek:

You needa move into one of those sharehouses with 3 or 4 people in it ...

Oh and I kept fiddling with that loan calculator to work out exactly where the crossover point is to lend $100k. There isn't one. On $60,000 you can loan $96,900. On $60,000.01 you can loan $109,500. Amazing what a difference 1c a year makes!

Ye gods ... I have this budget spreadsheet here (excluding one of the home loans that is covered by rent completely) that says we have $681 out per fortnight inclusive of everything else, and that's for 4.5 people! :eek:

You needa move into one of those sharehouses with 3 or 4 people in it ...

Oh and I kept fiddling with that loan calculator to work out exactly where the crossover point is to lend $100k. There isn't one. On $60,000 you can loan $96,900. On $60,000.01 you can loan $109,500. Amazing what a difference 1c a year makes!

Borrow! You want to BORROW! It's the banks that will lend/loan!

(I couldn't NOT - the grammar police made me do it! :p)

*steps down off soapbox*

According to the NAB, using the criterior of having no other loans outstanding, being single with $1000 per month living costs and an interest rate of 6.49%, the most you can borrow on an average income of $50k is $329500. If you are on a low income of $40k, using the same information as above, the most you can get is $253500, and this drops to $169200 at $30k.

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...3/?campaignID=MXM&WT.mc_id=MXM&WT.mc_ev=click

Based on this, those units you describe will be out of the price range for singles on a truely low income, and could be a bit of a squeeze for someone on an average income.

I got the following from moneymanager.com.au:

Based on the following assumptions -

Net annual wage = $35K (low income)

Weekly rental income = $300 (covers 2 bedroom flat and even this is conservative in today's Melbourne rental market)

No car loans, credit cards and outstanding loans.

Interest rate = 7%

Loan term = 30 years

You can borrow $342K!

Smack a 10% deposit saved up and a bit for stamp duty and you would easily be able to buy something between $300-400K!

I got the following from moneymanager.com.au:

Based on the following assumptions -

Net annual wage = $35K (low income)

Weekly rental income = $300 (covers 2 bedroom flat and even this is conservative in today's Melbourne rental market)

No car loans, credit cards and outstanding loans.

Interest rate = 7%

Loan term = 30 years

You can borrow $342K!

Smack a 10% deposit saved up and a bit for stamp duty and you would easily be able to buy something between $300-400K!

Yeah right! It's easy.

Of that $35k, $3.5k is tax, leaving $31.5k

Pay, let's say $250/wk on rent, makes $13k, leaves $18.5k.

Run a car @ $100/wk = $5.2k, leaves $13.3k

Food could be an option, lets say another $100/wk? We're now down to $8.1k.

Some electricity, gas and water might be $600/qtr, which sees our $8.1k down to $5.7.

Nothing goes wrong, I can live in the clothes I have and I don't get sick. I'll save that $5.7k.

I need $30k deposit (assuming 90% LVR), $13k for stamps and say $2k for extras; total = $45k. My $5.7k pa that I can "save" will let me buy a $300k place in ... wait for it ... 8 YEARS!! And of course the market hasn't moved in that time, has it?!

Hang on, maybe I need to look at something more "affordable"!

Hence, I completely disagree with your assumption that a low income earner can "easily" afford an IP worth $300k.

wobbycarly said:
I need $30k deposit (assuming 90% LVR), $13k for stamps and say $2k for extras; total = $45k.

5% LMI kicks in if you have to borrow anything more than 80% of total value (as advised by my mortgage broker guy), so please could you factor that into your finance approval calculations?

So if you borrow 342k at 6%. Let's assume you buy a 320k property and capitalise everything to get to a total cost of 342k.

That's 20,520 per year in interest.

Rent 300pw = 15,600 pa.
Agents fees, say 6.6%? Net rent 14,570.

Rates, body corp, insurance, etc, another 3k a year?

Say depreciation 5,000.

So net, you're -8,950-5,000 = -13,950 before tax.

Tax rate is 15% so after tax, your cashflow is -8,950 x 0.85 + 5,000 x 0.15 = 6,857.50.

Wobbly's living figures look roughly right. So this person won't be able to afford the -ve cashflow.

5% LMI kicks in if you have to borrow anything more than 80% of total value (as advised by my mortgage broker guy), so please could you factor that into your finance approval calculations?

I just tried the genworth LIM calculator using a property value of $300,000 and loan amount of $270,000. That's $3,200 in LMI, so another 8 months or so of saving - YIPPEE!

And then once the property is "owned", I haven't even figured out what it costs to hold... can't be bothered - it's not worth my effort - I've wasted enough time on DeeHwa already. ;)

Yeah right! It's easy.

Of that $35k, $3.5k is tax, leaving $31.5k

Do you know the difference between net wage and gross wage?

Pay, let's say $250/wk on rent, makes $13k, leaves $18.5k.

You live with parents (so no rent). Even if you rent, you should do it in a share house (cheapest I know of is $90 per week). Anyone paying $250 per week on a low income is insane.

Run a car @ $100/wk = $5.2k, leaves $13.3k

Why get a car? Cars before property? No wonder people complain they can't buy property. It is their own fault for indulging in depreciating assets. They can either walk or get public transport. Full fare yearly's are just over $1K (I think). Btw, $100 per week running a car is massive!

Food could be an option, lets say another $100/wk? We're now down to $8.1k.

If you really wanted to, you can cut this down. $100 per week on food (for 1 person) is massive!

Some electricity, gas and water might be $600/qtr, which sees our $8.1k down to $5.7.

$600 per quarter for 1 person? You must be operating a nuclear plant.

Nothing goes wrong, I can live in the clothes I have and I don't get sick. I'll save that $5.7k.

It is a fair assumption. There is something called Op shop. Seeing the doctor can use Medicare. I have not seen a doctor for years for sickness related appointments. You can still go to work sick. Only lazy people use the excuse. My mother broke her leg and still went to work the next day!

I need $30k deposit (assuming 90% LVR), $13k for stamps and say $2k for extras; total = $45k. My $5.7k pa that I can "save" will let me buy a $300k place in ... wait for it ... 8 YEARS!! And of course the market hasn't moved in that time, has it?!

You are assuming income that doesn't increase over time, money is not reinvested. Also, I already showed you that on low income, you will save IN EXCESS of your $5.7K calculation.

Hang on, maybe I need to look at something more "affordable"!

Hence, I completely disagree with your assumption that a low income earner can "easily" afford an IP worth $300k.

At the end of the day, it is all about the deposit. The bank doesn't ask about how much money you spend at the movies or how many gifts you splash on your girlfriend. And I just showed you that you can save a heck of a lot more than a measly $5.7K

Why get a car? Cars before property? No wonder people complain they can't buy property. It is their own fault for indulging in depreciating assets. They can either walk or get public transport. Full fare yearly's are just over $1K (I think). Btw, $100 per week running a car is massive!

Not really, I did the expenses for a year of running our Holden Astra that is fully owned.

Fuel: 3640 @ $70 per week (max)
Insurance: 900
Servicing: 1250
Rego: 700
=$6490 or $124pw

That's if nothing goes wrong with the car.

I don't reallllly want to get into an argument with you, but here goes anyway. Nowhere did you say that this is a single person... but I'll go with you on that.
Do you know the difference between net wage and gross wage?
Yes I do - I missed that detail.
You live with parents (so no rent). Even if you rent, you should do it in a share house (cheapest I know of is $90 per week). Anyone paying $250 per week on a low income is insane.

So you expect to rent somewhere "cheap" but not have a car. How does one get to work? Not everywhere has reasonable public transport. And not everyone has parents who can continue to put them up for their adult life.

If you really wanted to, you can cut this down. $100 per week on food (for 1 person) is massive!

Not massive. That's about $14 a day! Not unreasonable, I would think.

$600 per quarter for 1 person? You must be operating a nuclear plant.

Gas, water, electricity, telephone. Some of us like to wash and be warm/cool. So what do you suggest is "right"?

It is a fair assumption. There is something called Op shop. Seeing the doctor can use Medicare. I have not seen a doctor for years for sickness related appointments. You can still go to work sick. Only lazy people use the excuse. My mother broke her leg and still went to work the next day!

It's people like that that stuff up everyone else! I don't want you coming to work with the flu and breathing all over me and passing on your germs.

Going to work the day after breaking your leg sounds pretty irresponsible.

You are assuming income that doesn't increase over time, money is not reinvested. Also, I already showed you that on low income, you will save IN EXCESS of your $5.7K calculation.

OK, I'll put my (let's round it up) $6000 pa into ING and get about $300pa!! And if my wage increases at, say, 5% (very generous), then it goes up by about $1700pa. So I might cut 12 months off my savings time.

No you didn't. You just spouted "that's too high", "you can cut down there" without any numbers or reasonable suggestions.

At the end of the day, it is all about the deposit. The bank doesn't ask about how much money you spend at the movies or how many gifts you splash on your girlfriend. And I just showed you that you can save a heck of a lot more than a measly $5.7K

Last edited:

Mate, how far removed from reality are you? There's this thing called ser-vic-a-bil-it-y. It's used by the banks to determine whether you can pay back the loan (whether you intend to or not.)

And a $35k earner will NOT be assessed to be able to service a $300k loan.

I don't reallllly want to get into an argument with you, but here goes anyway. Nowhere did you say that this is a single person... but I'll go with you on that.

Going to keep this short, because I realise we are arguing over trivial things. True, I didn't say single person, but I was basing it on the assumption of single person, low income and young (so they are still living with parents and thus low expenses). Be pretty sad actually to be say, 35 years old and still earning 35K net. They obviously did not study hard enough or is just plain lazy. I have no sympathy for people who complain about low wages and unaffordability when they mucked around in high school or spent more than they earned in their youth years. Also, you'd expect dual income to save more (if they tried).

Yes I do - I missed that detail.
I just wrote that for kicks, haha.

So you expect to rent somewhere "cheap" but not have a car. How does one get to work? Not everywhere has reasonable public transport. And not everyone has parents who can continue to put them up for their adult life.

For argument sakes (as I assumed living with parents), you can get share houses for $90 in places like Preston (just one example). No problems with transport there.

Not massive. That's about $14 a day! Not unreasonable, I would think.

Ok, I admit your right on this one. $14 per day is reasonable although arguably, you can go lower than this if you wanted to. Can get free food at the Salvo's for example. But that is getting pretty desperate.

Gas, water, electricity, telephone. Some of us like to wash and be warm/cool. So what do you suggest is "right"?

I know people who live in share houses pay about $350-400 on utilities per quarter. Add mobile phone which is $30 per month and that takes you to less than $500. Probably not a big difference to your $600 but every little bit counts. Of course, living at home, you don't have to pay any of this (maybe just the mobile phone).

It's people like that that stuff up everyone else! I don't want you coming to work with the flu and breathing all over me and passing on your germs.

Don't underestimate Op shop clothes. There are people out there buying these clothes, touching them up a bit and then reselling them like 'designer clothes'.

Going to work the day after breaking your leg sounds pretty irresponsible.

Not when you come from an Asian family and money means everything. You also get no annual or sick leave working in $10 per hour factories so no work = no pay. Can make a lot of difference on tight households.

OK, I'll put my (let's round it up) $6000 pa into ING and get about $300pa!! And if my wage increases at, say, 5% (very generous), then it goes up by about $1700pa. So I might cut 12 months off my savings time.

You are about right based on your assumptions. However, living with parents, cutting the expenses would assist savings drastically.

No you didn't. You just spouted "that's too high", "you can cut down there" without any numbers or reasonable suggestions.

$35K net - $15K annual expenses (equates to just under $300 per week) = $20K. Remember, no rent, pretty much no utilities expenses and other perks I ain't mentioning and pretty easy to save a deposit of $40K (in 2 years, not to mention investing the $20K saved for the 1st year)

Back