Steam Washer/Dryer advertised good for water use? Not according to Choice

Hello All

I subscribe to Choice Magazine online (great organisation, recommend joining) and they just released their annual “Shonky Awards.” Awards for misleading advertising, rip offs and/or simply bad products.

Usual suspects but one caught my eye due to my recent interest in green design and building, it is the LG Combined Steam Washer and Dryer WD-1248RD

Now you may have seen this new gismo advertised. It costs $2900 :eek: but you can look forward to water savings, as it only uses steam to wash ... as promised by full-page glossy magazine ads.

Choice tests found it does compare well in the washer bit but get this! what the ads don’t mention is that its condenser dryer guzzles an astounding 74L of water to dry 5kg of washing.

You see a condenser dryer uses extra water to condense that steam back to water, which then goes down the drain. So drying a full wash load uses considerably more water than washing it. And this is true for all washer/dryer combos.

74l to do something a clothes line does for 0 litres! Even makes the old spin dryer look great (it only uses power) but as stated, the simple clothes line is best in green credits. Solar Powered!

So how do they get away with claims of being green and promoting as such:confused:

Technicality.;) Current water efficiency labelling system doesn’t take into account a condenser dryer’s water consumption — CHOICE wants washer/dryer labels to show total water use. I am with Choice.

Consider this when next buying a washer/dryer.

Regards, Peter 14.7

Well, last year Choice gave this award to the Ipod!

I bought a washer dryer (Samsung) for our IP. It also does a 'dry heat' wash! I love it, and want one for my home!

water savings, as it only uses steam to wash
One needs energy to heat the water to steaming temperature. Admittedly it would use less 'water' than a conventional wash but probably more energy.

I make sure I combine loads to save the water consumption & don't use the dryer - count on one hand the number of times this year.

The point Choice is making is that LG are promottong this product as low water use when it is notbecause under the guidleines the water used in drying is not counted.

LG are not being upfront about the true water use. It is like Holden advertising on the TV a V8 SS Commodore gets 5 litres per 100km and not saying that is coasting, down a hil, in neutral.:rolleyes:

I am not against the rights of people to buy what they wish. I am against manufacturers using misleading advertising.

Peter 14.7

Back