Stigma attached to Property Investing

Hi All,

Went to a mates place last night for a few beers, there was about 4 of us there. We are all around the 36yo mark, couple kids and a morgage. So we are all in the same position except i have 1 IP.

We got talking about retirement, Superannuation.....etc

Then i put my 5c in about my financial plans. i.e buy more IP's and more, retire early....etc.

Then i got a lot of negative "vibs"

"Oh, have you been reading those books"
"Have you been reading Rich Dad, poor dad"??

Has anybody received this sort of reception from friends or family??

GG

Hi everyone,

I don't even bother talking or telling anyone about our investment properties any more. People just dont want to hear it
possible because they dont want to confront their own anxieties and concern about their future.
I have encounted absolute sarcasm and put downs about our property investing by my friends that it leaves me bewildered.
Never once have any of my friends ask me how I am doing it ...the subject is taboo. Strange isnt it :confused:

Mrs Bird

GG,
Used to happen. Also the "shares beat property" used to come up a bit .
Then it was ...
Aren't you worried about tenants?
What about all that debt ?
What happens if .....etc etc ???
Now , they are the ones trying to find IPs trying to catch up, and they are a long way behind , and they've missed a good bit of this cycle !!
Just have faith in yourself and prove 'em wrong mate.
LL
"Only the lead dog gets a decent view !!"

Hi all,

This is why i like to be around like minded people. Maximising positive influences and minimising negative ones is imho a great way to keep your mind on the big picture. This obviously doesn't mean I like my non-investing friends/family any less, I just dont go to them for advice.

-My 2.2c inc GST

Dave

Geffrey Gitomer says " People rain on your parade because they have no parade of their own!".

I never get negative vibes from people who are real investors! ie be it from shares, from business (franchises). ie. people who are are making and doing something may believe and perfer investing there time and money into another forms of investment, but I never get the negatives from these people. Maybe a healthy discussion but it's not negative. ( Shares are more liquid, you cannot sell a bit of a house etc.)

As soon as someone tells me "shares are better than property" I ask the question "well what shares have invested in recently?" or the real killer "what books have you read recently about share market investing?".
Loosers with negative attitudes normally havn't invested in property, shares or anything really, and even worse loosers normally havnt invested time in upgrading their minds so they can make better choices. They want to feel safe and secure doing nothing so they rain on your parade!

I don't think it would hurt to mention your interest in property investing to everyone you come across at least once. If you don't, you'll never know who's interested in it and who's not. Some people may not be interested now but who's to say they won't be later. If on the otherhand they start to have a hear attack over fear, simply change the subject.

man you think thats bad....try quitting a full time job as a teacher in a permanent position to start your own business in the property market!!!! AND invest heavily in the real estate market!! boy i must have a thick skin...both family and friends nearly disowned me...funny how things change though when you start doing well out of it
:D

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko

Has anybody received this sort of reception from friends or family??

GG

all the time gekko, I guess its a mix of jealousy and lack of education which causes it. I've found its a waste of time talking to people like that about money, they will try to convince you that everything is impossible and those who are rich "got lucky".

I don't bother telling anybody what I'm doing or planning to do. All I get is negatives. There are always a lot of people ready to tell you what you are doing is wrong. Its funny because they are all doing soooo well ;)

It is funny how quick they knock you!!

In all honesty, maybe I'm being negative, but I don't eve bother talking to people about it unless they ask me specific questions any more.

I used to sit there and talk about it to people for hours on end, debating the pro's and con's, in the end they would all agree with me, and then be motivated enough to look into it, but the nothing comes of it.

My advice, if they are interested, of course, give them your opinion, but don't spend too much time on it, if they are going to do it they will, not still be talking about it 12 months down he track.

By the way, the friends and close family are normally the first to tell you that you're nuts.

I just don't need to hear it anymore.

Hi GG,

looks like u r not the only one to have to constantly justify your lifestyle/investment choices... I personally don't bother any more, if anyone comes to me for advice or a 2nd opinion, I'm always happy to help, but I don't mention to any family or friends what I do in terms of IP investing... the way I see it, it is my business & only mine what I do & I just can't be bothered justifying IP investing to everyone that has just negative comments to make (ie. going bankrupt, tenants from hell, buble will burst, etc...)... life's too short to add these kind of worries to your day-to-day stresses... So when I'm with friends or family I make an effort not to mention IPs...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Yes I can relate to the negative thing. Some family members just don't get it. My family has always been hopeless with money management and investment. I've given them the link to this site, so I can only hope they see the light some day.

I'm leading by example as far as my family is concerned - though I'd also be willing to believe that they are more open minded than most :)

Many people are very down on success - an Aussie character failing.

I have one friend who was absolutely down on property & my investing. She was always telling me about how the property market is dangerous and was about to collapse.

She personally earns a 6 figure salary, has no savings, her only 'asset' is a 5yr old car, spends over $6K per month on rent & is always a week from bankrupcy.

Needless to say she was very upset when I retired & doesn't talk to me any more.....

Her problem, not mine!

I'm happy to discuss investing with people, but always tell them that property investment isn't for everyone....this reassures them that I don't think that they're a loser just because they choose other ways of allocating their money.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

My family don't even know I do property. My Wifes family does though.

They seem to understand a bit more, although her parents keep asking when is it enough?? (Ie, You're buying another one ??!!??)

My family - they seem to have competition as to who's shortest on money, got the biggest bills and had the worst time of late. Trying to explain that we all have choices is a bit of a waste. It would require pointing things out like lifestyle choices, car choices, holiday choices etc. I sacrifice a little now for a lot later. They spend everything while they've got it.....

That's when it's nice to have friends who do it, and this forum:D

Mind you, did have one friend who was a bit doom & gloom, watched and noticed I didn't crash and burn. We spoke from time to time about it (car pooling daily). He's got two units now.

ANother friend is "gonna do it real soon - probably this year I think....." - but he's still got money direction issues me thinks....

Cheerio & keep on encouraging each other !

SImon.

It seems every step I make towards financial freedom is always greeted with negatives from people!

You just learn to get thick skinned and always ask yourself, are these people where I want to be? Are they living the lifestyle? Or are they just living?

95% of people are going to retire on the pension, but they still don't do anything to move from the E & S quadrant to the B & I quadrant!

I've learned over the past two years - to not listen to friends and especially family....b/c they DON'T live the life I want to live!

Just be glad that you took the red pill. A SWEET PILL IN THE MOUTH, BUT BITTER TO THE BELLY! AND YOU WILL BE UNPLUGGED FROM THEIR LIFE SUCKING SYSTEM & RENEWED FROM THE INSIDE, REGENERATED IN SPIRIT!

And Feel sorry for those that still live in THE MATRIX :)

Well, admittedly I haven't bought my first IP yet (though I'm hoping to do so soon) - but most people I've talked to about it have been interested / encouraging. People at work (a university) are interested - 2 or 3 have already got one or more investment or holiday properties. One woman ended up with a couple of investment properties because of moving interstate and renting out her original property, another bought a unit on the GC as an investment property a couple of years ago (though cursing they hadn't bought in Ipswich before the boom started!) etc.

My mother was a bit worried at first because of all the 'boom followed by crash' publicity that's around, but once she realised I was doing my homework and not just rushing into something she thinks it's a great idea and that she probably should have done this instead of relying on the stockmarket. (She's 83 now so feels it's a bit late for her to start!!) And, come to think of it, my aunt was into this ages ago - I think she sold out of most of her properties a few years ago - but probably wishes she hadn't!!

Just wanted to say that not everyone is like this ... :)

- ella

We haven't bought our first IP yet, but we're out looking, and we've copped the negative vibe thing from certain members of family. We just don't mention it much now to some of them. I know my wife's brother would not like to see us lose money, but he'd really enjoy rubbing our face in it if we failed, the classic "I told you so". His wife's brother (whom he doesn't particularly like) mentioned they were considering buying an investment property, and he openly told us how he hopes interest rates rise and "dickheads like him who don't know the first thing about property investment get burnt". I think that comment was also directed to us...

I would point out, however, that there is a difference between being criticised compared to what one might call reasonable or legitimate "what ifs". That playing devil's advocate can be useful to see if you understand what you are getting yourself in for, and what your contingency plans are if things aren't working out.

We've heard all the things like "What if you can't get a tenant", "What if they trash your property", "What if there's a property crash", "What if you lose your job", "What if interest rates rise" etc.

Actually, they're pretty good questions to be asking yourself. Motivational/insprirational books on investing (Rich Dad, Poor Dad, et al) may well have a tendency to push us towards acting in haste and without thought, our optimism overtakes our good sense, and a well-meaning family member/friend might well ask a question that you haven't considered.

There is a thread on this forum (going back at least six months I would think) where I was lamenting all the "criticism" my wife was giving me about property investing. I came to the realisation it wasn't criticism - they were valid concerns from her point of view. It took me a while to come to that realisation - prior to that I was thinking her criticism was "nonsense" or "a load of crap" or she was "holding me back".

The naysayers always throw up "what if" questions to rain on your parade. Most of the time they are making a big deal of something that is unlikely to happen. They'll then say "yeah, but what if it *did* happen". That's when it's worth having your contingency plan. There's an old saying that "If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle".

Don't forget that there is such a thing as "constructive criticism".

From some of my friends and family the reaction I get when they discover I'm buying another place - Oh, that's just Jas.

It seems to be just one of the those many weird things I do, not something for them.

Jas

Originally posted by Kevmeister
Don't forget that there is such a thing as "constructive criticism".

It's just a shame that so many people don't understand the difference between constructive & destructive criticism :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back