Stigma attached to Property Investing

Acy,

I don't think people (ie. us) are not taking constructive criticism, but when someone tells you that you will lose the house you live in, you will starve to death, etc... well that's "destructive" criticism as you put it...

We can give ppl answers for the constructive criticisms &/or take them on board (ie. loss of tenants, damages - landlord insurance, incentive, loss of rent, etc...) but when it comes to cinisism, why bother...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Manny,

You've got it backwards.

The GIVERS don't know the difference between destructive & constructive criticism.....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey,

as u put it, The GIVERS don't know the difference between destructive & constructive criticism..... is totally correct, they r just blabbing on what they have been brought up to know, ie. put money in a bank book, hide money under your pillow for a rainy day, etc...

Cheers,

MannyB.

I find now my friends and family are wishing that they invested in the property three years ago....

I believe it's only because of the BOOM that people are reconsidering the fact that property is such a good thing!

But honestly, if there wasn't a boom, half of the newbies wouldn't be in this forum! That's not to say, it's a bad thing, because regardless of the type of market it is, as long as you start....

What would your friends and family say if there was a property bust or property was at it's lowest cycle?

It's all well and easy to say that people around us are agreeing that property NOW is great, but I believe the REAL investors are those that stick around even during tough times, they do everything to hold onto and continue to invest in property hoping for that big BOOM once again. Go Jan and The Wife yeah!

During the happy times, it's easy to forget that there were difficult times!

Why even bother to tell your friends about what you do ,keep it all to yourself ,i learnt a long time ago the more you try and advise people why they should invest in real estate,the more they will say,the sheer size of most property investments means that small savers cannot easily enter the market,unexpected repair bills can be quite large,a large part of the expected return is often in a nocash form,capital growth,the need to tie up a relatively large sum in a single proposition is the very antithesis of spread,i do think when i started 18 years ago the same people where saying the same to me back then,only now they still pay rent each friday,now i just collect the rents every friday......
good luck willair.....

Originally posted by metamorphosis
It seems every step I make towards financial freedom is always greeted with negatives from people!

<snip>

Of all the posts in this thread, Metamorphosis' really hit home for me. As I struggle to escape the endless cycle of work - taxed - buy - taxed - work; I still remember that forehead smacking moment of clarity when I started to read the right stuff.

Devouring books and this Forum makes me WANT to spread the news. I've run into the same negativities from family and friends but aren't these the people you love and like? Don't they deserve the same opportunity to see the light?

One of the nicest things to happen from the repeated rejections is when you suddenly find a kindred spirit amongst the blank faces. I can't describe the sense of elation in finding another level of common interest in someone you call a friend.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I feel some people in your life deserve to at least know that you are walking the road should they wish to follow.

Apologies for my rambling,

Kenny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving, but does not make any progress."

Alfred A. Montapert
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by metamorphosis

It's all well and easy to say that people around us are agreeing that property NOW is great, but I believe the REAL investors are those that stick around even during tough times, they do everything to hold onto and continue to invest in property hoping for that big BOOM once again. Go Jan and The Wife yeah!

During the happy times, it's easy to forget that there were difficult times!

right on, I think this is accurate, at the moment I don't own any properties though am mainly interested in getting into it as a long term investment. I think I'd be likely to keep any property for 10-20 years and may well hold out for a while yet before buying anything while I try and pick up more knowledge and perhaps do more research on the swings in the property market over the longer term to try and get a better grip on how things tend to go.

I guess at the moment its is difficult as I really haven't followed the property market much before so I haven't seen different types of markets. Though I basically beleive the best bet is likely to hold a mix of a different types on assets, shares, property + own business. I have seen some comments by people (here even) such as "I'm into property but I'd never touch shares", funnily enough on sharemarket forums its often the exact opposite and I think people with these kinds of views are not looking at the full picture, both tend to be investments which on average yield high returns over the long term.

Would any members who have seen a number of different markets, booms and busts, care to suggest how they think prices will go if we see an end to the boom soon, perhaps a comparing to busts in the past? I have heard generally property market tend to me not as volatile as perhaps the sharemarket overall, have heard a bust will commonly mean a 10-20% fall (only an average figure of course) often with a much lower number of sales going through, compare that to shares where markets have been known to very quickly fall 50% (1987 for example).

There are various milestones ( some words don't sound correct in metric ) you can pass in life as an investor.

We achieved one this week , when news that my wife was going away to buy more ip's was not greeted buy a " are you sure now is the right time " or " I hope you know what you're doing " or " queensland can be a bad place to buy properties , I know someone who ..... " from certain people we know .

Not sure if they now think we know what we're doing , or they 've given up " trying to make sure we're careful " but it was a nice change.

see change

Last edited:
Back