Still on title as owner - 6 months after settlement

Hi all,

I settled on our PPOR 6 months ago. Since then I continue to receive payment notices from Council and water companies for my previous PPOR address.

I sent copies of these notices to my solicitor who did the conveyancing, and they said all they can do is pass it on to the purchasers solicitor to chase up their mortgagee who was responsible for registration of titles.

Is there anything else I could be doing? I am worried about legal action being taken against me and it potentially affecting my credit score or something?

Cheers
Neil

If it were me, I would also send an email to council/ water company just so you can show that you've informed them.

I once sold a house which I had purchased 2 years prior only to find out I wasn't on title. I had wondered why I had no council rates and assumed that I had just misplaced them or that the agent had paid them.

It turns out this sort of thing happens all the time because the banks do not always lodge the discharge/registration of mortgage. Best to get onto your bank asap

Hi all,

I settled on our PPOR 6 months ago. Since then I continue to receive payment notices from Council and water companies for my previous PPOR address.

I sent copies of these notices to my solicitor who did the conveyancing, and they said all they can do is pass it on to the purchasers solicitor to chase up their mortgagee who was responsible for registration of titles.

Is there anything else I could be doing? I am worried about legal action being taken against me and it potentially affecting my credit score or something?

Cheers
Neil

Can you sell it again?

Can you sell it again?

I dare say this would be illegal.

While he may still be on title, he's passed on ownership, etc to the purchaser by way of the transfer paperwork and the contract for sale.

There's probably not much you can do.. I wonder what the purchaser's bank would do if they defaulted. I'm sure they'll find the paperwork and lodge it with Titles quick smart.

If it were me, I would also send an email to council/ water company just so you can show that you've informed them.

I did ring them and explain, and they said they would put a note on the file.

3 months later though, I'm still getting the notices, probably an automated process.

I'm now waiting for the letter threatening to take me to court.

In Nsw there is a notice of sale form which is lodged at the land titles office so they should know the property is sold and who the new owners are. I am not sure how this is processed though

In Nsw there is a notice of sale form which is lodged at the land titles office so they should know the property is sold and who the new owners are. I am not sure how this is processed though

Thanks Terry,

I'll bring this up with my solicitor.

Cheers.

I had a conversation yesterday with a discharged bankrupt.. he was bankrupt in the 1980's. But apparently, the bankruptcy trustees name is still on the title deeds to his house!! :eek:
the trustee has sinced passed away, so the fellow wasnt sure how he was going to be able to get the name removed from the title deeds, cause he wants to sell his house.

...... so its definitely worthwhile getting this one dealt with now!

I had a conversation yesterday with a discharged bankrupt.. he was bankrupt in the 1980's. But apparently, the bankruptcy trustees name is still on the title deeds to his house!! :eek:
the trustee has sinced passed away, so the fellow wasnt sure how he was going to be able to get the name removed from the title deeds, cause he wants to sell his house.

...... so its definitely worthwhile getting this one dealt with now!

Hi Penny

This is interesting. I guess he must have owned the property jointly with a spouse, otherwise you would have expected the trustee in bankruptcy would have sold the house to pay creditors. Once the bankruptcy finishes I guess the trustee in bankruptcy would then be holding the property as bare trustee for someone - presumably you friend.

Maybe you should inform the new owners, I'm sure they will get into there bank and save you all the worry.
Or send a letter or email to the bank that now has the mortgage over it and tell them if they don't lodge the paper work within 7 days that you will take out a first mortgage on the property or you will sell it via auction, they should move quick smart.

Maybe you should inform the new owners, I'm sure they will get into there bank and save you all the worry.
Or send a letter or email to the bank that now has the mortgage over it and tell them if they don't lodge the paper work within 7 days that you will take out a first mortgage on the property or you will sell it via auction, they should move quick smart.

I have no idea who the new mortgagee is!

Back