Stimulus $950

Last I heard it costs around $800,000 to raise a child until 18 yo in Melbourne. More in Sydney.

Could be, although i fail to see how that number is achieved.
That'd be roughly 44k a year, i doubt that anyone in melbourne or sydney would be able to afford it. I know that we definitely don't spend anywhere near that on our child.

how many babies did she pop out?

Trust me, they don't just 'pop' out. Just after I gave birth to my second child, the silly OB waltzed into the room and announced, 'Well, that must have been the easiest $3000 you have ever made.' If I had not been so deeply traumatised from pain and bleeding I would have 'popped' her. This pregnancy I have spent about $2800 on medications to stop vomiting alone.

Could be, although i fail to see how that number is achieved.
That'd be roughly 44k a year, i doubt that anyone in melbourne or sydney would be able to afford it. I know that we definitely don't spend anywhere near that on our child.

I think they calculate it differently somehow... dont go off at me though, I only quoted what those clever Current Affair programs told me. :D

The figure of $800K is likely to include the loss of income of one of the income earners in the family if they stop working after giving birth.

Thats just rubbish. I googled this
Not that it's totally accurate.

that one is to the age of 21, and looks like it includes uni fees

in my opinion kids should be kicked out of home at the age of 18, and go live with their friends, and try and earn some money, while studying

my parents sent me to australia on my own when i was 17, and i must say it was an invaluable experience in terms of maturing and learning about responsibilities

my parents sent me to australia on my own when i was 17, and i must say it was an invaluable experience in terms of maturing and learning about responsibilities

I left home when I was 17. Got a part time job and put myself through uni and took resonsibility for my life.
It didn't do me any harm .. any harm ... any harm ... any harm ...

I just love sweeping statements like this :mad:

And I've hear the exact opposite said too. How wogs/migrants baby their kids, keeping them at home & supporting them, turning them into adult children who can't stand on their own two feet.

I've actually discussed the fact that both are said by both parties to the other - the reply I got, yeah but they're right about the ones who let them stay home :rolleyes: So there COULD be more to one side of the story, but not the other... hmmmm

This is why you should support your kids right up until they get on their feet and then once you go old and grey they should start looking after you, not place you in some nursing home with co(kroaches and forget about you.

Sadly thats how most true blue Aussie families work... wogs and migrants on the other hand tend to look after their families much better.

I really hope you are never in the situation of having a parent who requires 24 hour care and having to make the decision of how to best manage their care. Its a heart wrenching, incredibly emotional time, and comments like this just add to the agony of the time.

I'm sure there are heartless children, but the most of us are just trying to do the best we can in an incredibly difficult situation. There are a number of us in the situation on somersoft, and I think it would be good if people like you could put yourselves in our shoes and imagine what it would be like to see your parents rapidly deteriorating in mind, body and emotions.

Assuming that an older person is better off at home rather than in a nursing home is such a stupid comment, and to assume that they all have cockroaches, and that parents are forgotten are also completely untrue.
I know just as many migrant families who have relatives in nursing homes as I do aussie families.

your post was just about the most ignorant and thoughtless post I've ever seen on this forum!

Pen

back to the actual topic of the post...

is the payment based on individual income or family income?

ie if I earn over $100K but my husband earns under $100K, do we still get his payment?

Pen

ie if I earn over $100K but my husband earns under $100K, do we still get his payment?

Pen

yes i believe this is based on individual assessments but i also believe the limits of 100K and 90 and 80K or whatever they are, are based on taxable income not gross income, and there can be a bit of a difference, you might think you dont get it but in fact could be entitled to 250 or more depending on your taxable income

Pen

as far as i understand it - payment is per person, so both of you should get 950 bucks (or part thereof)

i might be wrong though...

are based on taxable income not gross income,

Anyone confirm this. I receive $1M in rent but pay out $1.5M in expenses so does negative pay get more? Just as well its not an A&L test. I suppose all the wealthy folks in the Eastern Suburbs will be getting them too seeing they all earn $0 but probably not even close to being enough to paying their legal advisers weekly invoices. Nice work Ruddy all the same.

Back