Stock Market - Shares

Hey guys!,
I'm a 15 year old student, who is very interested in both property investing/development and the stock market...

I'm currently researching some stuff regarding shares, when I asked myself, what actually makes prices of shares rise? I searched the internet for about 2hours looking for an answer, but couldn't find one...

So i was just wondering if anyone has any (even if a little bit) experience to do with the stock market, if they could please answer my question:

what actually makes prices of shares rise?

Thanks

Sincerly
JBendall :)

I'm currently researching some stuff regarding shares, when I asked myself, what actually makes prices of shares rise? I searched the internet for about 2hours looking for an answer, but couldn't find one...

With all due respect to your interest in investment from such a young age, if anyone truly knew the answer to that question, they'd own the world. Quite frankly, no one knows for sure why shares rise and fall. Sure you can cite fundamentals about earnings and so on, but the market can stay crazy far longer than you can remain liquid. If you could find the answer in 2 hours, I'd say you were mistaken. People spend a lifetime trying to find the answer and don't find it. Even a 'this works more than half the time' sort of explanation will make you a billionaire.

May I suggest, at your age (and since you're not legally allowed to own anything anyway) that the best thing is to get your financial habits in order. Set some short, medium and long term goals, develop a savings habit, understand how debt works for and against you.
Alex

I reckon it's really simple.

A share makes the share owner a part owner of a company.
If a company increases in value, then in theory, so should the value of it's shares.

Sentiment does effect the price people will pay but I reckon it's not the main reason share prices rise or fall.

If a company is growing assets and profits and dividends at 10% a year, then the shares should increase at a similar amount.

So, shares increase because the value of companies increase.

See ya's.

So what actually makes prices of shares rise?
Depends on the stock,but from what i see investors react emotionally and as stock prices are expressed in dollars,and sometimes the real value can be misleading in value terms,numbers change but not the basic method of "Uncertainty" the happens every morning on every world market, that alone makes the market move ..
willair..

Wow,

That's really interesting to see all those responses suggesting sentiment is the primary driver of a shares price. I hate to say it but I think that misses the point. I'm with TC on this one, its financial company returns that drive a share's price appreciation. I'll spell it out in layman's terms and then also explain where sentiment comes in:

The market capitalisation of a company is the net present value (NPV) of all its future cash flows. That might sound a bit complicated to the non-financial folk, but really it means that what a company is worth is equal to what it will earn over its lifetime discounted (NPV) to allow for the concept of time value of money.

Its then a simple matter to calculate the individual share price by just dividing the market cap by the number of issued shares for the company. As TC said, a share is part ownership of the company. So, if the company is now worth more, then your portion is worth more.

So, what makes shares rise in value? Simple: Improvements in the projections of future earnings for a company.

For example, the spot price of iron ore goes through the roof because China is industrialising. As a result, all of BHP's forward revenue projections just went up. As a result the net present value of all those future earnings is much higher resulting in a higher market cap valuation for the company. Divide that by the number of shares and every single BHP share just went up.

Sentiment plays a role because we're talking about "future" earnings. And the future is never set in stone. So, despite your best financial modelling, there's always a band of potential future earnings representing the optimistic and the pesimistic projections. This represents the "fair value" band for that stock based on current projections. A quick proxy for fair value is a stock's PER or Price to Earnings ratio. This allows every non-financial modeller to get a quick reckoner for where a stock sits with regards to its fair value. Sentiment kicks in when people think the earnings projections are either optimistic or pessimistic. Bullish sentiment pushes the share price to the top of the band based on projected future earnings, bearish to the bottom of the band. Sometimes markets go "bubble" when fair value flys out the window and people believe they know better than anyone else what a company's true value is. They discount the time honoured relationship between earnings and value and rate a shares price well above its actual true value. At the dotcom peak, even seasoned CEO's were saying things like "Don't buy stock in my company." Amazon, for example, was valued at a price which assumed they would sell every single book in the world. It all just went a bit crazy. Conversely, sometimes prices get way under-valued based on future earnings projections as happened on the ASX in the late 90's.

There's also a lag between earnings outlooks improving and share prices rising as the market grudgingly accepts the increased projections. I remember tipping BHP would run to $40 based on the spot price of commodites at the time, when they were still trading at $20. But it took a long time for that to happen as the market doesn't just buy-in to new earnings outlooks instantly. They need to see it happen and be convinced of the sustainability of the upside.

Hope that helps spell it out. Probably not worth a sticky, but definately some basic shares 1.0.1 that everyone should be aware of before trading stocks.

I'm sure others could add more detail around why markets sometimes get prices wrong given it is an "imperfect" market-place. But that's just fine tuning the definition. Fundamentally, its all about future earnings, and that's how I invest.

Cheers,
Michael.

Share prices are driven up or down purely by market sentiment. The factors that affect market sentiment are things like company fundamentals, the economy, global, etc.

While i agree with Michael and TC, they are describing the things that create the sentiment of the market. They don't in themselves directly affect the share price ( but they do indirectly).

It's this positive sentiment that will make an investor pay more than someone else for a company share (forcing the price up) or negative sentiment to sell for less than someone else (forcing the price down).

Talk about ask a simple question and get.....

If you asked an economist, they would most likely describe the sharemarket as a "free market".

In economics, market is considered "free" when the price of the good or service in question is solely determined by the interplay between the demand for and supply of the good or service in question at any given price [that last bit is very important].

Q - What actually makes prices of shares rise?

A- Demand exceeding supply at a particular price.

(And the opposite works in reverse too, eg. the price will fall when supply exceeds demand at a particular price)

The rest of these guys can argue over the factors that affect demand and supply - but that wasn't the question.

M

Mark,

Agreed. Its a free market, but I considered that self-evident so was basically describing what moves the demand curve and thereby causes the spot price to move. (And briefly alluded to what can move the supply curve too based on the number of shares on issue dividing into the market cap).

But you're probably right to spell it out. Never take for granted that people are aware of the basic paradigm in which prices are set.

In laymans terms, if future earnings projections increase then the demand curve moves to the right. If they decrease then it moves to the left. Sentiment reflects uncertainty around future earnings, or an emotional disconnection from the reality of future earnings. i.e. Blind faith.

Cheers,
Michael.

Joe

Check out "Topic 3 - Why Share Prices Go Up and Down" (pp. 8-10) in this ASX Education Document.

In the event who aren't familiar with the demand and supply diagram, Michaels comment about the demand curve shifting to the right will make sense (p. 8).

The above document is one in a series (of 10), the homepage of which can be found here.

M

Hi all,

What drives share prices?

Mark got it in one, it is simply supply and demand.

On any given day, the price of any stock is determined by how many buyers and sellers there are, and the amount they are trying to buy or sell.

If there is more new money in a market as a whole to buy stock than what is available for sale, then the price will rise. If there are more shares trying to be sold than there is money to buy them, then the price will fall.

For the market to rise as a whole over the course of a year, there must be enough new money coming into the market to purchase all the new shares offered for sale, plus pay for all those who elected to leave the market (sold existing shares without re-investing), plus brokers fees, etc.

This is currently happening due to all the extra superannuation money coming in.

Because there is such a large number of players involved, and many keep large sums in cash accounts waiting for 'opportunities', the effect of minor changes in sentiment can seem to have a large effect.

However if/when the sums of 'new' money entering the market were to fall, while those trying to leave the market grew, then we would have the opposite of a bull market.

bye

Hi all,

What drives share prices?

Mark got it in one, it is simply supply and demand.

On any given day, the price of any stock is determined by how many buyers and sellers there are, and the amount they are trying to buy or sell.

If there is more new money in a market as a whole to buy stock than what is available for sale, then the price will rise. If there are more shares trying to be sold than there is money to buy them, then the price will fall.

but to buy a share, someone has to sell it to you.

to sell a share, someone has to buy it from you.

if that is so, why isn't every day a doji?

what makes a price rise is more PRIMARY buy orders than sell orders.

what makes a price fall is more PRIMARY sell orders than buy orders.

there's quite a complicated logarithim that can determine price - but you gotta be a rain man to work it all out.

in a way it is supply and demand - there may be a flood of sell orders and they are picked off slowly by hedge funds, super funds etc. price falls.

there is a flood of buying orders and they are sold off slowly by hedge funds and super funds. price rises.

there is always equal amount of buying and selling in any trading day. its the primary orders that make the difference.

Back