Strata - Electricity & Water

This may seem like a really naive question, but does strata cover your water and electricity costs? I read somewhere that electricity and water is split by the number of units and everyone contributes equally, despite how much they've consumed..

This may seem like a really naive question, but does strata cover your water and electricity costs? I read somewhere that electricity and water is split by the number of units and everyone contributes equally, despite how much they've consumed..

I think you'll find everywhere is different.

My house is strata titled but i have my own water meter, electricity meter, council rates, building insurance.

As pointed out it does vary. In NSW, each owner pays the supplier (eg Sydney water) a base charge for the service. Then your levies cover the usage as units are generally not individually metered.

This is not detailed on your contract - so speak to your solicitor.

Electricity is in the name of the user eg owner or tenant. So you get the bill if your name is on the account.

Strata levies do have a small amount of electricty usage for the common areas eg lighting and power points in lobbies used for cleaning etc.

You have a separate electricity meter for each unit. Hence you are charged directly.

For most of the strata titled units, that is not the case. Generally there is only one water meter covering the whole building. Tenants (I think that is a law) can not be charged for the water if they are not individually metered. So, the strata gets the usage bill. It is up to the strata management to decide how they want to distribute that.

Yes tenants cant be charged water usage but owners can. I have one that charges minimal usage ($8-10 a quarter). The rest that aren't metered the strata pays. I have one villa with individual meters and I get charged water usage but I pass it on to the tenant.

Elec (as others have said) you pay (or tenant if rented).

Back