Strategy Questions

Hi All,
I am curious to see if anyone follows a strategy where you primarily buy and hold but sell one aquisition every so often (yearlyish) to free up cash for further investment and living costs. I am looking for ways out of the workforce sooner rather than later. This may be a pipe dream but i have read of this working for aussie investors in mags and books.
I would buy the property i wish to sell with that specifically in mind. My aim would be to buy undervalued stock and value add through renos then sit on it until i needed to off load.
What do you think? What do you do?
Cheers
Michael

sounds good but how little are you willing to make on each deal?
say you cant sell it?
you have to pay CGT, selling costs, etc you may be better off getting the equity for the next purchase

Michael, this is a strategy that maybe of interest to you.

The Lazy Persons Guide to Property Investing

I personally dont like the selling costs & CGT implications involved tho.

The post below describes my investment strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It may be of interest to you.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis. I've been purchasing IP per year.

I've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential
vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I preferr to purchase Townhouses & Villas with a 30% or greater land component thereby eliminating multi story units or high rise apartments, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Babyboomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cashflow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cashflow will be serviced via Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systmatically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. Infact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well thats the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once its set up its a self perpetuating, TAX FREE Income Money Machine.

I hope this has helped you.

to purchase Townhouses & Villas with a 30% or greater land component
Dumb question. Is that ‘land component’ means the value of the land or the size of the land?

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systmatically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.
Problem I would face is that I need to access the IP1's equity to buy the IP2. So may have to wait for the 2nd round :)

I use a strategy almost identical to Rixter, except without the specific townhouse targeting. If the cash-flow numbers stack up on a house or unit, I grab one of them as much as a townhouse or villa.

I also tend to focus on large regional areas with diverse economies. Buy price is usually lower, yields higher and capital growth as good or better than capital cities. I do a huge amount of economic and demographic analysis on an area before detailing on specific properties. Almost too much, it verges on analysis paralysis.

I also keep an eye out for "opportunistic twists" like a property I can develop in 10-15 years. Or perhaps renovate in a few years to add a bathroom/bedroom and value/yield. Recently completed a strata title that lifted my CG at the cost of some yield (rates go up). This growth manufacturing is about increasing my risk a little to speed up the whole "equity engine" as I like to call it. This approach has now lead me to consider more active growth strategies like renovation, development and commercial property. The last being the hardest to get into, steepest learning curve and I believe, the greatest rewards.

For now, I am sticking with the basic plan to keep the equity engine turning over. As I continually educate myself, I see a point where my knowledge and equity growth will converge to allow me to execute on the right Reno/development and/or commercial opportunity. Worst case, I stay safe and keep the cookie-cutter recipe rolling out the dough just like Rixter.

Hope this somewhat abstract ramble makes some sense.

Have you thought about developing? Build 4 sell 3 keep 1. You can create an income stream or live off the equity. It's my chosen strategy and has been working quite well.

Have you thought about developing? Build 4 sell 3 keep 1. You can create an income stream or live off the equity. It's my chosen strategy and has been working quite well.

Not sure about the OP, but I sure have considered and researched it. My key barriers are;
1) Knowledge level isn't high enough yet. [Mostly requires time, time, time, networking, time, time, more time, research, time, mentors etc. I could solve this by creating time, which I am working hard to do.]
2) I don't believe that the area I live in has the upside to profit from such a strategy. I have run the numbers on a bunch of them and nothing stacks up. Therefore, need to look outside my area and either pay a PM to manage it or move.
3) The cashflow "gap" between that first development coming in
and me quitting my job to do it.
4) Getting money from the bank once I don't have a job and am a "developer" full-time. Either I need some other income stream and/or selling off the plan. Both require some time to learn and setup.

To be honest, time is my biggest challenge. The full-time job and 3 kids do not leave enough time to be a developer as well. I am scratching my head to come up with creative ways of addressing this. Nothing practical has yielded to my thought yet. It will, just hasn't happened yet.

4) Getting money from the bank once I don't have a job and am a "developer" full-time. Either I need some other income stream and/or selling off the plan. Both require some time to learn and setup.

If you go down the commercial finance route you don't need a 'job' to get development funding.

Yes, but it does help.

On the other hand developing 1 project while working full time isn't a major stretch.

Intriguing.

Are you able to broadly quantify what type of time commitment per week?

How much of this time would I actually need to be onsite? And if I do, what times of day?

Would you do your first one at significant distance or keep it close to home/work?

Intriguing.

How much of this time would I actually need to be onsite? And if I do, what times of day?

Would you do your first one at significant distance or keep it close to home/work?

Comes down to the quality of builder you employ. Knowledge of building helps and if this is what you lack then make sure you have access to people that do.

In terms of the first one, profit margin/$ and your financial capacity will be more important that the distance of the site to your home/work.

Intriguing.

Well i am doing the development in conjunction with several of my other ventures. While mine is in the early stages I can safely say that it doesn't eat up a lot of your time per se - but you have to be available for meetings with your key people, such as the architect, builder, suppliers, engineers etc. Its dangerous to leave it all to one person other than yourself to manage because it is your money that is being used here.

Who do you use as your trusted onsite advisor oc?

I have considered this and come up with the following;
- An old builder/developer friend/family
- JV partner that knows building/development
- Independent contracted building inspector
- Independent contracted project manager

Are there others that you have successfully employed or can recommend?

Any opinion on the process of actually sorting the "wheat from the chaff" to getting someone you can entrust to do the job right and "earn their keep"?

I know there is a good win-win partnership scenario that could work well here. It's just a matter of getting that first one done right.

Any opinion on the process of actually sorting the "wheat from the chaff" to getting someone you can entrust to do the job right and "earn their keep"?

This is why I said you need the time to have meetings, meetings and more meetings. Talk to your key advisors, see whether they are full of ****, do they deliver? What is their pricing like? Are they easy to get along with? Don't forget you will be working with these people for the next 1-2 years so you need to have a good relationship right from the start. It doesn't have to be buddy-buddy but something very functional in my view.

Makes sense. Sounds alot like the job I have now. Except the development has less moving parts/technical complexity, and more of my personal skin on the table.

These meetings, is the phone (skype?) good enough? Or are we talking weekly/monthly onsite meetings? I am trying to understand if regular weekday/weekend flights would be required for a distant development in a hot area.

Back