Strathfield Mansion Opinions

I am in the market for a 1.7m house at Strathfield as my PPOR. what do people think of the area?
It is good for transport links (train) etc. The Strathfield Mall (post the massacre of 1991, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strathfield_massacre) is a good shopping centre.

To be honest, the capital growth of the suburb has not been anything to get too excited about. There are many areas of the Inner West that have performed better. See chart.

A search shows that while the median is 1.3 there are a large number of houses more expensive than this on the market
Of course there are more expensive (and less expensive) houses on the market. The median is just the mid-point - 1/2 sell above the other 1/2 sell below that median price, by definition.

- does that mean prices are set to fall further?
Fall further? :confused: Year on year median prices are actually rising there.

Additionally there are large numbers of Korean people living in the area. what do you thin kthat means for the furture?
More Korean restaurants perhaps? :D

Attachments

• strathfield.jpg
    strathfield.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 132
I started to respond to this post as I live in the same council area.... but not sure what to answer. Some props cost more because they have huge land or massive house. There are lot of knock down and rebuilds. Nice area with good transport, decent public schools and private schools. Central to all major employment areas. I see no problems with Koreans. Most of them are very gentle. Seoul property prices are lot more than here. So I assume future migrants will have enough money to buy near their family & friends which can be good for the property prices here.

With that money look in the East... may find a bargain or two - recently a mansion in Dover Heights sold for 1.8M (absolute bargain) due to marital problems etc... so look there instead - Prop will find you something I am sure.

My Dad is looking for one but only has 1.5M budget so just missed out on the DH mansion!

thanks mate - 24 years of property investment and working 2 jobs. - im getting tired I can tell you.

when I was 18 I was cleaning out my first filthy semi on victoria road in parramatta and painting it ready for tenants. (financially helped by dad and brother)

keep the faith!

My Dad is looking for one but only has 1.5M budget so just missed out on the DH mansion!

Its a sad state of the sydney housing affordability when someone cant buy a house because they "only have 1.5 million" to spend.

:(

I find your question strange, MaxClarke. 1.7m gives you a lot of choices for a PPOR. Why wouldn't you look in an area that you already have a strong positive opinion on? Why would you be wiling to spend that much money in an area you don't know?

For example, Strathfield is known for its large Korean population. To be thinking about putting down 1.7m for a place there, I would expect you to have a positive opinion about it (if you didn't, why would you even consider Strathfield?)

I am moving there for the high schools, I want my kids to be able to walk to school and be fully engaged in community life.

I also like that the large houses are on large blocks so concievably they could become multi genartional homes in the future. without us getting in each others hair. (i dont see Sydneys rental or housing crisis ever ending, govt will always be playing catch up with demand for housing, I also see an aged care availabiltiy crisis coming so having a mulitgenerational house might be a good idea)

have you considered renting in the area for a period first to ensure the area suits you and what you're looking for? if it is somewhere you have never lived close to etc you might not end up liking it

I'd prefer a home with history in Strathfield as I don't like the big massive pretencious houses with postage stamp sized back yards - like the big beasts they build on Wallis Ave - but that's just my preference - each to their own ... I remember babysitting one for a house in Strathfield that a friend of mine had also babysat at - she thought the house was just beautiful and amazing ... I gagged at the Greek revival etchings.

I love some modern design, but none of the ones I've driven past have really grabbed me ... people I know who live near Santa Sabina in a gorgeous Victorian home still travel to Homebush to shop and have coffee(even though they are within strolling distance to S/field) ...

My family has lived in the area for over 50 years... we now tend to avoid Strathfield more often than not - it was ok the last time I went and had lunch/coffee with some friends, but again, not somewhere I go out of my way to visit these days anymore. Spent many years going to school there and travelling through for uni etc. I prefer Homebush as it has more of a small community feel to it, and you still have train station, library, good doctors, not far from Strathfield station etc ... Or Croydon, I quite like Croydon ... but that wouldnt fit with your walking distance to the schools I believe you are thinking of.

I prefer Homebush as it has more of a small community feel to it, and you still have train station, library, good doctors, not far from Strathfield station etc ...
I would second that - totally biased though :)

Few more +ve points.. Only few mins away from
- cycle ways - I generally cycle to Olympic park with my kids
- good Tennis courts (Cintra park, Strathfield RSL & Dean street)
- Flemington market
- good swimming pool (Enfield)
- Good Library (Homebush)
- many childcare centres
- Very good primary schools - Homebush public & South Strathfield public
- Private schools : Meriden, Trinity, Santa Sabina, MLC (Burwood)
- Average (may be better than avg) secondary schools - Homebush boys, Strathfield girls, St Patrick's College
- Australian Catholic University
- 20 mins train to all employments centres (Parramatta, City or North Ryde ) - Changing jobs isn't a problem for both of us.
- 1 Buddhist temple, 1 Hindu temple and many churches
- Good food (Strathfield- Korean, Homebush - Indian, Homebush West - Chinese)
- Hospital and other medical facilities
- Retirement villages
- Golf course
- Awesome Christmas light set ups :)

-Ve point:
Away from water.

I was thinking of buying a property closed to good public high school (3 kids under 5 now). Honestly I couldn't find any other place worth moving to. We are also not beach people. So it all comes down to your needs and life style.

Disclaimer:
1. I live in this area
2. I worked in Korea (but not Korean)
3. Love getting head massage after haircut from Korean chicks :)

Good writeup devank!

I would also add, great access to sporting facilities and aquatic centre at Olympic Park (in addition to the other local swimming pools at Enfield or Ashfield).

Parks: Bicentennial park main park and the other village green park is great for little ones. For cycling / running: Olympic park to Bicentennial park to Rhodes cycleway.
Also, North Strathfield precinct is quite good for eating out, or for grocery shopping at Aldi and Harris farm. Ditto Rhodes for Ikea.

My high school friend lived in a Strathfield mansion with its own tennis court and pool... I remember being very impressed at the time!

i agree with earlier poster if i had 1.7m budget i would be shopping for a quiet bargain in the best suburbs. Call the agents go to their listings and have a chat about any silent listing in balmoral, mosman, bellevue hill, vaulscluse postcodes

Would areas like Strathfield, Homebush, south Concord be negatively impacted from vent stacks if the m4 east ever goes ahead? I remember alot of -ve press around regarding the suburb impacted from the m5, & Im pretty sure it had a -ve impact on property values.

Back