Street with DOCS Housing

I'm looking at this property in Blacktown as an IP. The asking price for this 5 bedroom house is below the market value. I did some checking and found out that a non profit agency purchased a house in that street. This house is now being used as residential home for kids under the Department of Community Service. The kids are really feral and causing a lots of problems in that neighbourhood.

Does anyone here have experience living next to a DOCS house? Should I proceed with purchase or look elsewhere?

I used to live next door to one. It was nice until the owner left and sold it the housing department. The new people were nice enough, but didnt really care for the general appearance of the place, old beat up car in the driveway, yelling, shouting etc.

Its a bit of a risk. You might get lucky, but you might not.

its blacktown, not the house.

hahahaha...

jks, i grew up around that area, and still have lots of dealings in the area (there everyday) so before anyone thinks im having a dig.

depends could be a good buy if they P*SS off sometime soon...

A year ago I read this article about a 10 year old DOCS child terrorizing a Toongabbie suburb. This kid would broke into houses and cars to steal cigarettes. He would also spray paint houses and car and block access to the street using trash bins. The police was powerless to do anything so the home owners decided to get help from the media. Once the story came out in the newspapers DOCS moved the child.

You might experience difficulty finding someone to rent it. But if you do find a renter, will they stay long? Or pm might be ringing everyday for all sort of problems. So If I were you I will think hard before buying this property.

You could always wait till they are away and "accidentally" throw a molotov cocktail in the front window of the DOCS place. Then your place will be all good and they may move on leaving another block cheap that you can snap up!

The above is a joke in case anyone was wondering!

-ZXR

komstak,

It is irrelevant if the people are housing commission, DOCs or private neighbours if you have only been there to view the house a couple of times and you have observed anti-social behaviour do not proceed with the purchase.

The feeling of a good buy is long forgotten when you end up having to either put up with bad tenants because that's all you can attract, or are continually turning over good tenants because they quickly move on.

Time to think 'goodbye' rather than good buy.

Regards

Andrew

komstak,

The feeling of a good buy is long forgotten when you end up having to either put up with bad tenants because that's all you can attract, or are continually turning over good tenants because they quickly move on.

Time to think 'goodbye' rather than good buy.

Exactly what I was thinking. The house will either attract the same sort of tenants as the DOCS kids, or any decent tenants that do rent the house will move on very quickly.

It isn't a bargain if you have continuous hassles with it.

Back