Streets to avoid in Blacktown, Seven Hills and Doonside

After an extensive search, I have short-listed a handful properties. Now, some of these are cheap. I wonder if it is because in a high crime rate area, housing commission or just overlooked. I already checked the crime statistics on BOSCAR and some are in the yellow-orange group.

Is there a way to get "streets to be avoided" list in these and surrounding suburbs?

If you've already got a short list you could organise a property run by calling the agents and organising private viewings one after the other. Should take about 3 hours to have a good look at 4 or more properties.

When you're there you'll understand more about each area and you can ask the REA about the location.

Short of this there are probably some investors with experience in that area that'll help.

Only problem is that I doubt the agent's going to say 'oh this street is full of housing commission' or 'yeah there are drive by shooting on this every thursday night'. I think some of the guys on the forum can give you some advice re housing commission. Also im sure there was another post from someone else on the forum confirming the 'good' streets within blacktown. Perhaps do a quick search....

If you ask the direct question:

"Is there housing commission property in this street?"

The agent has to tell you the truth... It's the law.

I was in Thornbury, Melbourne looking at a villa last week and saw some run down buildings and asked the above to the REA; she explained exactly which ones were and were not council houses and then proceeded to spin it to a good light "But the area has come such a long way" etc etc...

If you ask the direct question:

"Is there housing commission property in this street?"

The agent has to tell you the truth... It's the law.

I was in Thornbury, Melbourne looking at a villa last week and saw some run down buildings and asked the above to the REA; she explained exactly which ones were and were not council houses and then proceeded to spin it to a good light "But the area has come such a long way" etc etc...

This is assuming they know the answer. (Maybe different in NSW, but) locations of Government housing isn't exactly published in a neat list.

Also, Government housing isn't necessarily a problem, nor it is necessarily the only problem.

I personally wouldn't bank of the fact that the agents going to tell me the 'truth'. I would do my due diligence and save the 'but the agent told me...'

@ Jake D - you are quite right. I have an investor purchasing a house for 1.1mil about 5 doors down from a methadone clinic. At the end of the day everything is relative to the area.

The information is published in a neat map, red = public housing.

attachment.php

Yes, I agree JakeD - it's not the only problem and may not be a problem... but it has more chance of being a problem than a street without a socio challenged population, wouldn't you say?

FinanceShop, I hear what you're saying and I agree.. Obviously your own research is a must... there's no harm in utilising an REA's local knowledge though.

So... Methodone clinics, also a problem.

What I had in mind when I posted was my friend's neighbour. Homeswest house. Lady is a lovely mother with two older teenage kids. No social problems from any of them. House and garden is kept immaculate. She even weeds my mate's verge for him.

Its not my cup of tea... I have someone else who recently purchased a unit directly across a pub in Surry Hills. I think its noisy when the collections bins come to my house once a week, I cannot imagine how they would feel.... Nice apartment though!

Haha, nice map. I knew it'd by defferent in NSW.

To my knowledge, in WA, some sort of privacy regs stop the location of department housing being published. (My wife worked for the housing dept. for a while and we still have a bunch of friends working there)

Another point I was implying was that you can have shitty houses with criminal/druggie/scummy tenants who happen to rent or own privately.

Yep, so I guess the thing to note is when buying in an area that has a higher crime rate it's favorable to buy an elevated apartment or a house with good security.

Buying near public housing may not be a problem but I'm not convinced that future buyers would see it as a desirable factor which may affect future resale price.

Some fat to chew...

Yep, so I guess the thing to note is when buying in an area that has a higher crime rate it's favorable to buy an elevated apartment or a house with good security.

Buying near public housing may not be a problem but I'm not convinced that future buyers would see it as a desirable factor which may affect future resale price.

Some fat to chew...

Also, government tenants can change. Little old pensioner when you move in, scabby bogans when you're tying to sell.

The information is published in a neat map, red = public housing.

attachment.php

I wouldn't rely on this map as it's a little out of date now and appears to be missing many streets, even from first glance. The only accurate way to find out ownership is via RP Data, PDS or APM databases- accessible to those who pay for these subscriptions in the real estate and finance industry. Ask the agents for a printout of ownership - you might get lucky.

After an extensive search, I have short-listed a handful properties. Now, some of these are cheap. I wonder if it is because in a high crime rate area, housing commission or just overlooked. I already checked the crime statistics on BOSCAR and some are in the yellow-orange group.

Is there a way to get "streets to be avoided" list in these and surrounding suburbs?

We've bought for many clients over the years in these suburbs and know them pretty darn well :) There are certainly some high HC cluster streets, as well as lower lying (considered flood risks) streets, local "lower reputation" streets and known problem pockets. However, there's also preferred areas and streets that generate higher interest to both sellers and tenants. You ideally need to conduct further research and find out ownership of the particular street and area (also consider houses backing yours) before making any purchasing decisions. Best of luck.

Thanks Jacque.
What would further research comprise of apart from
- visiting the street (and waiting for a couple of hours)
- asking nearby residents
- asking REA (which will be futile)
- Checking with local police station

I would hire you, if I could afford atm :((

I see posts quite regulary on ss,as streets to avoid............does it really matter??A personal example,bought a semi duplex in a low socia area,on one title returning $500 pw,buy in was $265k bought recently, changed to Torrens title each adding $30k to each overnight.
Rents never been late,garden is kept tidy,never have any tennant issues."dont judge a book by its cover"Too true"

I used to train it from Seven Hills to the city, DAILY. And I'm telling you, there's a clear "good" and "bad" side. Anything on the 'Station Road' side was always quite scary to walk through in the evenings - and I say that being very familiar and comfortable with the Western suburbs.

The direct opposite side never seems to have the same problems.

Back