Stripping paint off concrete

It's an old courtyard slab.
I reckon it has 3 layers of paint on it. The most recent layer, put down by the previous owner, didn't bond to the second layer. In some places all 3 layers have come away from the concrete. So I need to get it all off, treat the slab, and then repaint it.
I'm pretty sure the first layer is lead based, so that rules out sanding - don't want the dust.
I'm not keen on water blasting - too much mess.
I could burn it off - using a mask.
Or there are paint strippers.
Thoughts anyone?
I'm leaning toward paint stripper. Anybody know of a good one? They all say on the can that they remove multiple layers, but I've never found one that really did.
Scott

I'm leaning toward paint stripper. Anybody know of a good one? They all say on the can that they remove multiple layers, but I've never found one that really did.
Scott

You need to do only small bits at a time. I am talking about a foot square at absolute maximum. One of my neighbours recently decided she was tired of the color on her double roller doors. It took her 3 days to get it all off. I admire her fortitude in sticking to it.

There's been a recent related thread if you do a search on i-strip.

In it I gave a big rap to i-Strip. One important feature of it is that it will safely strip lead paint whilst not damaging the timber beneath. So although the i-Strip machine is pretty fast and will do the job for you (it will strip 1 to 2 m2 per hour), in your case however you can afford to be more agressive and use some strong chemical paint stripper given you have concrete underneath the paint.

The downside of stripper is toxic fumes (although being a courtyard slab I take it you are doing an outside job) and making sure you don't contaminate the surrounding garden with the chemicals.

Sanding is very very bad, as you say.

Heat guns are dangerous in that they release lead fumes unless they are at a very low temp, at which point they will be very slow. Only suitable for small areas.

Water blasting is bad because you will contaminate your soil with the lead (and lead does not break down in time).

So as I see it you options are i-Strip (~$650 outright or ?? for daily hire) or chemical stripper (cost ??).

Good luck :)

Would the http://www.peelaway.com.au/peelmain.htm product be applicable on the painted concrete?

I am yet to start on the Bunker but have decided to try this product on the doors as I want the job to have the least messing about as possible.

Has anyone actually tried the chemical peel / blanket technique?

I would be interested to hear of the results

cheers

Kristine

I'm assuming the I-Strip thing is an infra red stripper - I'm pretty sure what the reults will be if I google 'I-Strip'. I'll phone a hire company.
Kristine, I just checked where the distributors of that peelaway product are. There's one minutes away from my place. I'll trial the stuff this weekend and report back.
It may work out better than hiring a machine, because I never have more than a few hours on the weekend these days to do stuff and the pressure is always on when you hire something to make the most use of it.
Scott

Also just found a hire place the infrared stripper. It's only $37 for a day. If I have time, I'll get one and compare the results with the peelaway product. Cost and time will be relevant - the peelaway thing sounds good because you apply the stuff and then just peel it off a couple of days later.
Scott

imho,safety first.
Depreciator,this is maybe worth a try,and i have used it many times on pathways/driveways.
Home Brand have a domestic cleaner comes in a one litre bottle at the local supermarket a blue bottle i mix this with50/50
hypochlorite acid then apply with a paint brush, if the sections are starting
to lift off the slab then start in those area's, just be carefull if you have young ;) children,because this gear will burn and lift anything..
goodc luck willair

Thanks Willair.
I do have little kids, but can keep them clear.
The slab will be painted again, so I'm wondering what would need to be done to neutralise the surface after the acid to make sure I don't have problems with paint sticking? Washing it properly with water is going to be a problem.
Scott

The slab will be painted again, so I'm wondering what would need to be done to neutralise the surface after the acid to make sure I don't have problems with paint sticking? Washing it properly with water is going to be a problem.
Scott

All i do is a small one sqm at a time let the paint lift then scrap the watse in a bucket,let the surface sit for a day or two then wash the surface,sometimes i have to sandblast the area but not always then apply
http://www.bondcrete.com/Products/Concrete_Additives___Bonding_Agents/Bondcrete/default.asp?pid=1616 ,good luck willair..

So you apply diluted Bondcrete as a sealer?
That Trogan product that Gerd distributes is pretty good.
Is hypochlorite acid basically pool chlorine?
Scott

Back