Structure for Purchase of IP

Hi all,

I have temporarily given up on the purchase of a 2nd IP since the banks do not like lending to a 19 year old with only a $30 K income and a personal loan.

However, I brought up the topic of starting a form of an investment club with 9 other friends (they are between he ages of 22 and 26 and all of them earn above $55K a year and none of them have purchased their First home)

Basically the idea was for each of us to provide $2,000 of initial capital and then provide monthly payments of $150. With this money, we plan to invest in property and shares (prefer property though)

What I am not sure about is which structure we should use to purchase investment properties or trade in shares.

Basically the structure has come down to either being a Company or a unit trust.

With a company, there will be no initial costs, as my Dad was about to deregister his, but I can arrange for the transfer of shares from him to the 10 of us and also appoint ourselves as Directors using ASIC forms (484).

However I had a few other questions and if they could be answered, it would be very helpful.

1. What are the initial costs of setting up a unit trust?
2. By purchasing a property through a trust or a company, will it affect their ability to get FHOG in the future?
3. Is there any difference in Stamp Duty/Land tax between the two structures and how are they determined?
4. To what LVR do the banks lend to Trusts and Companies?
5. In regards to taxation, a Company cannot claim the 50% discount, which a trust can, but are there any other advantages of a company over a trust?
6. How much does a trust cost to maintain every year?

If anyone could help me out with the above, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals.

Our accountant recommended purchasing through a trust.

Because the trust has more/better tax advantages than the company when buying and holding property.

Have you spoken with your accountant about which structure would be better for you?

I know that a trust setup for asset protection ends up different than a trust setup to minimise tax.

Banks will not lend to a trust, you have to borrow the cash and lend to the trust yourself.

Our accountants bill is about $8k per year but that's for me/wife/kids/trust/company + trust/another company + trust. So at a guess maybe $1500-$2000.

It's hard to unscramble eggs.

By that I mean that usually entities are easier to set up than to disband.

With 10 of you, there will have to be some clear agreement as to what happens when (not if) one or more want to get their money back?
Someone becomes unemployed and can't make the payments?
Someone wants to backpack around the world?
Differing opinions on how money should be invested?
Who decides which property?

Money spent on legal and accounting advice may avert future problems.
Marg

Back