Studio investment at upper west side in melbourne

For foreigners it seems. Good stuff bought by locals, n developers sell crap to foreigners overseas, that is the message I got loud n clear....and apts in the cbd are crap for cap gain

Didn't I tell you earlier that foreigners can buy everything locals can, and all you need is FIRB approval? And that's easy to get for houses.

U mean foreigners can buy resale houses? If it is possible, i would be interested, but firb told me so far that foreigners can only buy new ptys that add to the stock, not existing ones
Didn't I tell you earlier that foreigners can buy everything locals can, and all you need is FIRB approval? And that's easy to get for houses.

Its a shame you think I have not contributed constructively but I wont lose any sleep over it. If you go back and read the thread from the start agin you will see a lot more constructive posts and a lot less sarcasm, including from me. Ultimately you have come here, asked us for our help which we have gladly given, asked the same question 20 times which have been answered, accused some us of racism and acted like we owe you something.

There has been no gratitude shown despite the fact that we have spent time on this, shared our expertise with you and saved you from making a significant financial mistake.

You'll have to forgive me if im not all sunshine and rainbows.

Look at westminsters post on the previous page which references her previous post. She took the time and effort to find a property that she believes would perform better than this uws rubbish, have you even bothered to acknowledge that? To say thanks?

Aaron C, WM and I are developers, DB owns a heap of property, melbournian is very experienced in melb apartment market, we have all tried to help you here because ultimately no one likes to see someone lose money. A bit of gratitude and humility would go a long way.

@sanj - I posted this to hv a healthy sharing session n i asked for opinions both negative n positive, not for ppl to jab n mock at my initial choice n talk about a place being bad demographics because there are Asian renters n occupiers. Ppl can share their wealth of experience in many ways regardless of background, n I believe there r nicer ways to say things than be sarcastic. if I had not been taking some of ur advises seriously, I would not be planning to forfeit my deposit. I think as much as I can learn things from u guys, there might be a day when you may want to hear me out on investments in Singapore or Malaysia too, so rather than saying I am defensive or implying anything to the negative, wouldn't it be better to just keep it as a friendly discussion. Of course I am appreciative of the nice people here who have given me sound investment advices and to have that unspoken gratitude is only human.

Hi, this is my first post. Need opinion on the mentioned development. I recently booked but have not signed contract for a 36sm studio for aud300k which includes stamp duty, a 5k furniture package n rental guarantee of 6.5% for first year.

I need to know if it is better to pay off the unit outright or take a loan? As a foreigner I heard that rental income tax is 28%, would taking a loan significantly reduce the tax or it is negligible?

As I have not signed the contract , I appreciate any positive or negative comments on whether I should go ahead with the deal. My unit is in tower 1 at mid floor.

Thanks

Kandinsky,

You should buy and read this book:

http://www.somersoft.com.au/book4.htm

It has all the fundamentals in it which could very well save you from making grave mistakes, and in addition, help you to build the wealth you currently have.

At the end of the day, only you can make your investment decisions. If you think the fundamentals for CBD apartments are good despite what the statistics tell you, then go for it!

Last edited:
hi guys, just to update, i have finally shaken off upper west side with minor losses in booking fee. If i had not spoken to you guys, i would probably have gone ahead, so once again, thanks :)

very relieved indeed. i have been busy over the past week looking for good buys in south yarra and hawthorn and nothing seems to come cheap. a one bedder at central@ south yarra going for $4xxk for balance units, Lucia also at south yarra offers the best deal for inward facing units but there are too close to the other block.

So far the best deal for lucia is a $478k inward facing unit for two bedders but it is a mere 10.1m to the other block. internal is 56sqm external space is 3sqm. do lousy facing units sell and would you buy at that kind of price?

Congrats you must be feeling relieved.

my understanding is FIRB is easy to get for extablished properties, if its owner occupied. If its invesment, its a little harder.

From the FAQ FIRB website,

Q2.4. If I buy a property, can I rent it out?

Established (or second‑hand) dwellings bought by temporary residents cannot be rented However, new dwellings, dwellings built on vacant land and dwellings built as part of a redevelopment, can be rented.

Was thinking 45sqm a bit small as well. These days hard to get 75sqm two bedders for $5xxk unless talking bout resale. Just wondering when the govt is going to open to foreign purchase resale. They can always set minimum purchase px rather than hv blanket restriction.
No. Stick to 60sqm for 1 bedroom, 75sqm for 2.

Back