Subdivision in Kingston Council, Help!!!

Hello Fellow Somersofters,

G'day,
We are newbies in this forum and newbie in the property development side of things, we've read a few post during the last week, this is our first post seeking advice from experienced members.

We are looking into subdividing in Maltarra st Clayton South 3169, it's R1z North Ward close to the Clayton shop strips. The land it self is 686sqm 45.3* 15.1m.

(we've came across two surveyors telling us to demolish the old worn out house and build two new townhouses, but we had a bit of doubt, since 2 dwelling is a lot easier to approve in Kingston, and i am not sure whether that will help us generate the best outcome.). I know the members here are more opened, that's why we would like to get some hinters/id:eek::eek::eek:

What would be the most appropriate subdividing plan to max profit as well as meeting council's regulations ??? Can someone recommend a good surveyor/builder/accountant experienced in dealing with Kingston council???

G'day and welcome to the forum!

Your best bet when looking at feasibility for maximum profit when dealing with townhouses would be to contact a private town planner rather than a surveyor at the beginning.

A surveyor can easily give you a yes or a no, but I'm yet to meet any who can give the full run down of building costs and ultimately the best margin. We use Pillar + Post in Melbourne for all our detailed planning jobs (I'd recommend them if you're looking at that option).

In general, yes building as many townhouses as possible will maximize profit, but it is worth the time having a planner assess all options, as the one that gives the best profit might not be what you'd expect!

With that square meterage, R1Z and in Kingston, two lot would be the best bet. Council will look at the surrounding area and make an assessment on similar developments in the area. Surveyors don't stick to any particular council, for example we have had subdivisions as far as Geelong in the last couple of weeks.

Hopefully I've shed some light on your query- always happy to offer any more assistance.

Cheers,

I have a property in the city of Kingston on a similar size block in Edithvale. I would like to develop it into 2 double storey side by side townhouses with a common wall. I am not sure where to start yet either.

I have a property in the city of Kingston on a similar size block in Edithvale. I would like to develop it into 2 double storey side by side townhouses with a common wall. I am not sure where to start yet either.

Hi there,

Again as above the first point of call is to contact a surveyor or private town planner to give an initial feasibility on the project- being if it's possible, are there any major issues etc.

Once you've got the go-ahead, we prefer the use of a private planner to give the full assessment of the development. This would be getting some building footprints drawn up, looking at the various options, and a full run-down of costs. From here you'll pick a good option (note: a building designer/architect will do this to some extent also) and have the surveyor take the reigns.

The first step is to have the planning permit sorted out which involves a site survey of the neighborhood to submit to council. Once your permit is granted, we will then get the subdivision drawn up, a re-establishment of title survey, and do all the paperwork with the titles office to have the subdivision completed and the two titles in your hands.

Employing professionals who have worked well together in past projects will definitely save you time and money. For example, we have a close network of other people in the industry who we can rely on and will always provide excellent service.

I've had people come to me in the past with the site survey completed by a "cheapo dodgy brothers" company and we've had to go from the beginning again. Research and due diligence is key!

I've uploaded a flowchart of development both to our website and the forums in "Adding value" for a more comprehensive run-down.

Cheers,

Speak to a town planner about it. A two-lot subdivision isn't that difficult to get approval for though, providing that it is zoned appropriately and the frontage is wide enough.

Speak to a town planner about it. A two-lot subdivision isn't that difficult to get approval for though, providing that it is zoned appropriately and the frontage is wide enough.
Hi Aaron,

Just like you say, we don't think a two-lot will be any difficult because all the houses on the street are 2 lots and one of them a three unit, so we're hoping that we can make it into 4.......not sure whether that's going to work, but then again, we don't have much knowledge of the feasibility of such project with Kingston council.

Hi Toony,

Lots of these types of developments going up in Kingston (and elsewhere). Aaron is right the frontage width is very important to make sure it can work. A good step might be speaking to some building designers, if you don't have someone in mind already, or council or a private planner.

Hi shanestuvwxyz0,

Ashley is right, doing some feasibility on whether to keep the existing house would be a good idea. It is worth noting that keeping the existing house is a constraint on developing the block. Frankly it is much easily to develop on a clean site, but that doesn't mean it is the best option overall for you! Sounds like you will be getting the advice you need soon.

Regards,

Hello...
Newbie here need advise.
I am now still researching here and there on property development in NSW.
My plan is to have my first project within 2 years, probably in west Sydney.

So do we contact surveyor / town planner before buying a land or we can only have surveyor access to it once it's our own property?

thanks all.
:)

Hello...
Newbie here need advise.
I am now still researching here and there on property development in NSW.
My plan is to have my first project within 2 years, probably in west Sydney.

So do we contact surveyor / town planner before buying a land or we can only have surveyor access to it once it's our own property?

thanks all.
:)

Hi Hua,

You can contact either a surveyor, town planner, or both before buying land. A town planner will give you a much more thorough assessment at a small fee. Realistically spending a small amount on getting the right advice in the first place will save thousands at the end of the process.

Oddly enough, I keep finding people are so reluctant to fork out a couple of hundred dollars to a town planner, or may shop around for the absolute cheapest surveyor (which on multiple occasions we've had to re-do surveys from the beginning when cheapo companies have their work rejected). But then when ***** hits the fan, they're quick to pay thousands to fix avoidable problems. Go figure :confused:

Back on topic: If you're having any site work done by the surveyor it can be done at any stage (but I don't like your chances of the previous owner letting them on site!) :D

Cheers,

Back