Subdivision Melbourne new planning zones

Hi all

We are considering Frankston North for our next IP, with a view to buying house on a large block for future sub-division potential.

Anyone know how the new Melbourne residential planning zones might affect this strategy?

Thanks heaps in advance! :)

Hi Cateb,

What one of the new zones does is lock some properties up from not being able to be subdivided into more than 2 lots. So, if your strategy was for 2 units, that is still a valid strategy.

Whether 2 dwellings can be achieved on any given lot depends on the individual features of the site and the specific planning controls, same as before really. Frankston are looking at bringing in new restrictions in some areas, but these haven't been approved yet.

I would recommend that you get advice once you have narrowed down to a property so that site specific details can be taken into consideration.

Hi Melanie

thanks so much for your reply.

Im thinking the block sizes we are looking at, around 600sqm wouldn't fit more than 2 villas/townhouses anyway...?

In general would you say it is a good strategy to buy a large block in that area for future subdivision? Is this an area that would benefit from medium density in future?

Cheers

Cate

Hi Cate,

Two units on around 600sqm is reasonable for areas that are away from major shops and trains (such as Frankston North).

Sorry, I can't offer you any advise regarding whether it is a good strategy. It is a fairly common strategy that I have seen a lot of over the last 5+ years, and I don't see the new zones as making a vast change to that, at least in the medium term.

Good luck with your project!

In general would you say it is a good strategy to buy a large block in that area for future subdivision? Is this an area that would benefit from medium density in future?

If the strategy is to landbank i would aim for a suburb that has proven historical growth. You can do much better than Frankston North.

Back