Submitting Offers

Hello all,

I was wondering if REAs are required BY LAW to submit all offers regardless of the asking price or if it says 'from $xxxK' and so on.

I'm assuming that it would be the same rule in every state but I'm particularly interested in WA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

I have a simple method I use to get around agents who play this game with a purchaser by not presenting offers..By law you are legally allowed to write up your own Offer & acceptance. You can buy a blank one from the bigger newsagents, REIWA . Its simply a double sided A4 , alot different to the multi page contracts over east.

If an REA refusing to write up your offer simply bring out your blank form and fill it out in front of them, saying you will present your own to them since they wont.....they will soon get the message. Im sure the vendor will be all ears when they find out the REA who is working for them is not doing their job and presenting your offer to them.

You should see the look on the REA face when they see you bring out your own offer & acceptance form...and its all legal for you to do so.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rixter,

Thanks for the great advice!

I came across quite an aggressive REA today who flatly refused to consider submitting an offer if it was under the asking price.

If I were to go to the agency I'm wondering if that particular agent needed to be there or if I can simply submit it to anyone at the agency. I'd definitely prefer not to deal with him.

There's a few properties out there (and there will be others to come) so I'm willing to walk away.

Thanks again! :D

Mark

If you're having a problem with that particular RE consultant then call and ask to speak to the licensed principal. Maybe contact the REA licensing board and enquire into the code of conduct policy.

If no breach then then Id be presenting my own offer direct to the seller by knocking on their door if the property is a gem.

Otherwise move on.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Playing devil's advocate...

- If the agent has specific instructions from the vendor, then they do not need to present offers that do not meet those requirements.

- Even if you present the offer directly to the vendor, they will still be liable in most cases to pay the agent their commission. So, don't do this in the expectation that you'll be able to get a lower price simply because an agent is not involved.

- In today's market (and especially in Perth, from what I've heard and read), an offer below the starting line on a '$x-plus' price may not get you too far, as these marks are usually set deliberately lower than market. But, no harm in trying.

Good luck with it mate. As you suggested, it may simply be a case of walking away and attacking the next deal instead.

Cheers

James.

Back