Suburb for Sale - TV program on tonight 8.30

A program you may wish to watch..

Storyline Australia - Suburb for Sale
SBS - 8.30 till 9.30 the 17th Aug

From SBS site....
In the 1970s, the Housing Commission of New South Wales made a bold promise: to build public housing estates with “strong and happy communities”, and bricks and mortar that have “soul”. One of the estates built on the edge of Sydney was Airds. Some thirty years later watch what happens when Airds goes under the hammer.

http://www20.sbs.com.au/storylineaustralia/index.php?pg=doc&id=44

Update!!!

Link below to a forum if you wish to post a question.

http://www8.sbs.com.au/saforum/viewtopic.php?t=112

Welcome to the Suburb for Sale webchat. Tonight our guests are participant TRACEY BROTHERSTONE, writer/director/producer ANNE DELANEY and co-director/producer LARA COLE. Please feel free to leave your comments, questions and thoughts about tonight's program.

Geoff

Last edited:
coffee said:

Thanks. I have not switched the TV on for about 6 months but this sounds good enough to do so!

Peter

How do you find out what Housing Commission areas the Dept of Housing plan to sell off before it happens? Do they advertise it on their website?

What a depressing show.... an example of why Housing Dept estates should never have been grouped together in the first place.
However, the most disturbing aspect, in my opinion, was the agent from Richardson and Wrench, Robyn Harrison, admitting to the camera that she lied to encourage buyer interest in properties. Her comments included, "Maybe it's not ethical but we need to tell these white lies sometimes...."
Her flash of brilliance was displayed when she informed the only genuine potential buyer of a failed auction property that the other buyers (which didn't exist) couldn't get their finances together so there was a chance for them to still buy the property!!!

Oh dear..... all credibility for an agent like this has just been destroyed. As long as selling agents like this one continue to lie their way in order to sell real estate, what hope has the industry got of revamping it's image?

Jacque said:
What a depressing show....

It made me feel like a billionaire :)

Jacque said:
However, the most disturbing aspect, in my opinion, was the agent from Richardson and Wrench, Robyn Harrison, admitting to the camera that she lied

My jaw dropped when she did this.. At first I thought she was joking when she said she was going to lie to the buyers.. then she walked over and actually did it.. Amazing, she's obviously got the IQ of a retarded mouse and an utter lack of ethics.

duncan_m said:
It made me feel like a billionaire :)

My jaw dropped when she did this.. At first I thought she was joking when she said she was going to lie to the buyers.. then she walked over and actually did it.. Amazing, she's obviously got the IQ of a retarded mouse and an utter lack of ethics.

Esp if she did it on camera ....

Wonder if she will be disciplined by her governing body.

Jacque said:
However, the most disturbing aspect, in my opinion, was the agent from Richardson and Wrench, Robyn Harrison, admitting to the camera that she lied to encourage buyer interest in properties.

Very interesting program! I couldn't believe the Real Estate Agent did that all on camera! :eek: :eek:

Keeps you on your toes!

Cheers,
Jen

wow...the agent did that on camera?

i didn't get to see the program.. does anyone have some followup information in regards to that agent?

coffee said:

Geoff,
Thankyou for the link, i have watched that show twice now and it justs
makes me think how very lucky i have been in property investing..
As with the R/E agents what a joke with that sort of mindset i read something
a while ago in this forum,it went some thing like this
Focus on the property not the agent.have a good day i know i will.
willair........

Would like to meet the directors of that show. IMHO, it was a political statement, and an advert for the benefits of being an aging lesbian. Though I understand why women end up relying on each other when the guys they chose to get involved with are so hopeless....

Drove home the point to me that values, and the goals that stem from those values, are a serious matter....

I thouroughly enjoyed the show.Never seen anything like it.This is tv worth watching.It truly was a reality show.
I found that a lot of the comments made about property early in the program. are similar to what l hear now in this Perth market.ie. cant go wrong, property always goes up bla bla bla.These are very typical of those who enter the market very late or those who have the we gonna miss out fear.
The young renovator was a classic results of all "those" diy programs.Gotta give it to him, he really did have a go at everthing.
Did anyone notice that in the homes and yards of the families shown, there was a lot of "stuff" and the quality of the cars they had? A mobile phone for everyone as well.
Did anyone notice that it was always someone elses fault? even the one lady who was going to buy her home after being a renter, got angry at the govt because the house price was above what a renter can afford.[she could buy at 123k house sold for 140k]
Did anyone notice that they had very little or no pride in their homes?
I have to be honest l found the REA a real hoot.She just kept comming up with anything and everything to get a buyer.She had a constant positive attitude.Not always ethical but entertaining to say the least.I am still shocked at the auction and her turning away the potential buyer.l just cant work that one out.I am sure she is not having a nice day today.
This show was filmed in 2004 so l would like to know what has happened with the suburb since then.
As far as the housing commission homes all being put in one area way back then, most people were fine with it.The govt has a different policy now and they mix these residents throughout all suburbs now and thats something everyone is not fine with.I have read countless stories of owners who have paid xx amount of $$s to be in a particular suburb only to find govt housing next door and how it devals their property.bla bla bla
Its always ok , just not in my back yard hey?
cheers yadreamin

Sorry in advance for the length of this post - grow'd like Topsy

I think the REA had things going for her. She was a local for a start. She actually lived in the area so gets cred from buyers immediately. Yeah, stupid thing to do on camera... but who is naive enough to think that it doesn't happen? AND how many investors have done the "I am looking at a few options" thing .... maybe works both ways.

I thought the REA had get up and go. I really liked her even though I did shake my head at the incident that has gotten the most attention in this thread.

It was very apparent that the people the film maker chose to feature had a different attitude than I am used to. Seeing it as the government's fault for not giving them better options... although some admitted that 'private' housing gives more options... adding it was too hard to start all over again.

I could have wept when the lady said she walked away from a job that paid $1000 per week..... I earn 1/2 that ! .... she was on that money and stayed in housing commission? Maybe she just doesn't know any other way? Maybe I am blessed that I believe in my own abilities to manifest things in life.

I do not come from that sort of background so cannot say how it must feel.... it must be so difficult when you come from a home where there are 2nd and 3rd generation unemployed. I was so sad to see that they were not empowered or focussed or motivated.... eg the man that was a police cadet and found reasons why he couldn't do the book learning required.... so he had to resign. I think perhaps he was 'let go' for other reasons but he just lacked that 'spark' despite wanting the best for his family.

I felt sorry for the lady who had a limit for 142k and the only other bidder opened with 140. yeah, so it isn't a whole lotta dough... but she had the guts to get the loan and she had dreams. maybe I relate to being in a less than ideal situation from lenders perspective and having to believe enough just to push, push, push to make it happen. I feel for her and pray she has kept plugging away and found a way forward.

Despite the temptation I have to demonise the 'other' I noticed a strong common thread in all of the featured families... they wanted the best for their kids... just some of us are better at 'putting verbs in our sentences' .

I have close relatives that live in Airds and they have lived there for 20 years so I know a lot about the suburb. It is very tempting to see the low prices and want to buy there but if you are thinking about it, be careful. Somewhere on the SBS website I saw the value of around $236,00 mentioned. This is land value for the Campbelltown area, so the only way I can see the values rising is in the long term when land values rise, then the values will be forced to rise with land values. I would not live there. Reiby Detention Centre is there and the choppers fly overhead when there are escapees on the run. There are so many private areas in the Campbelltown area to choose from that the only people that would buy there would be investors. And then that leads to who would rent there - there are so many private areas to choose from, I think Airds would be on the bottom of their list. However, if you don't have a budget to buy in the better areas, then the advantages of buying there are these - in my opinion they sell for 100% land value and we all know that land appreciates, and buildings depreciate, so if land values double, then sometime down the track, their values will have doubled. You can travel to Sydney to work - a long train ride, but many people do it, so the land values will be dragged up in the Sydney cycle. Just be prepared to wait a long time - no-one knows when the next Sydney cycle is coming.

Back