Suburb for Sale - TV program on tonight 8.30

stockt12 said:
i am still yet to see it

what were her lies?

So the scene was this..

The agent was outside a property that was to be auctioned that day.. but no one turned up.. so she's just stuck a big FOR SALE sticker over the AUCTION sign.. a car drives up with some buyers who did previously express some interest in the property..

The Agent looks at the camera (the buyers are still in the car) and says something like:

"This is the bit where I tell them that their were some other potential buyers who couldnt get their finance ready in time for the auction so the Vendor has delayed the sale until they get their act together"..

The insinuation being that she didnt want these potential buyers to know that her Auction/marketing has been a complete and utter flop and demonstrating how strong their negotiating position really could be..

So, having told the camera that she's about to lie to these potential buyers she walks over the car and presents her lie to the Potential Buyers, just as she said she was going to..

I hope I've correctly represented what I saw..

thanks for that duncan...

appreciate the post

wow... now, that occurs all over the world, but WHY would you even consider saying it on camera ?

stockt12 said:
thanks for that duncan...

appreciate the post

wow... now, that occurs all over the world, but WHY would you even consider saying it on camera ?

She's doing what she has been trained to do.

As for the show, it may have been entertaining, but it only scratched the surface of what Airds is about, and was very biased towards the producers opinions. They had never been to Airds before the show, and after a few days of filming, are regarded as "experts" on Airds :confused:

Well I lived & worked just a few kms away from Airds for many years. I also know many students & teachers from Airds High School.
What you seen on the television was not a balanced view.
Airds is much better in certain aspects, and very much worse in others.
But it's not the worse suburb by far. Infact it's not even the worse in the Macarthur area anymore. So for those of you wondering why some areas seem very cheap, you can now get a hint as to why.

And speaking of Campbelltown I also remember reading an article on API about the area. From that article I did not recognize the area that I've been living, working and investing (my parents first invested there in the early 70's) for many years.

I hold integrity in high esteem as the most important character trait. It is little wonder that there are so many shysters in the industry when the registered agents lack a fundamental human personality trait.

I feel sorry for any 'honest' REAs trying to forge ahead in an industry riddled with problems. I have been personally burnt by REAs 'lies' which were far, far worse than on the SBS program.... legal costs forced my hand, so I folded. Better to walk away with a known loss than gamble it on the hope of a shonky REA coming clean. :mad: I am sure karma will catch up with that particular person.

My residential property investment days are very limited... Good luck to all who persist and continue to develop their portfolios with residential property. I can do without the headaches even if I exclude myself from that 'golden' opportunity.

On the bright side, I have discovered commercial property and am very pleased for the experience. Dealing with Business Bankers is also an improvement on dealing with the Branch Mortgage Manager. I must say that the only good dealings I have had with residential investment is with my choice of mortgage broker - Simon. Thanks mate, without you I would be really cheesed off.... Hope to do business with you again early in the new year. :D

Ahh... sorry for the rant, but REAs like this one aren't rare and that says very little for our society's standards....

cheers

I saw the program and certainly the agents actions attitude was clearly unethical.

However the one thing that stood out to me was about the people who were renting there.

THEY ALL LACKED CONFIDENCE IN THEMSELVES.

The kiwi guy who was only intermittently in his partner's life - he seemed to lack the capability of getting too "close" to his partner and children. The young trainee policeman who found the study too difficult - but used the excuse that it was only a job afterall, so it wasn't a problem that he dropped out.

They seemed to be a product of their upbringing and environment and unable to break out of this mould.

After seeing this I thought about how lucky I am that my parents always brought me up to be positive about possibilities in life. It is such a gift for any child. Thank you Mum and Dad.

Airds would not be the best place to be if you were trying to turn around your mental attitude I reckon.

A good start is so important.

This agent's actions also highlights another deplorable practice of Estate agentswhich is common to agents whether they operate in Vaucluse or Airds-- the pracctice of insisting that all properties be submitted to Auction. The house in Airds is a specific example of a property that should never have been submitted to the Auction process. It just served as a means for the agent and her agency to collect advertising commissions and promote their name through advertising paid for by the poor mug trying to sell the house.

GIDDO said:
THEY ALL LACKED CONFIDENCE IN THEMSELVES.
it comes from a "can't do" (give up) upbringing rather than a "can do" (work out how).

rather sad really - thanks mum for the can do ...

chook said:
Reiby Detention Centre is there and the choppers fly overhead when there are escapees on the run.

I have lived in the Campbelltown area for two years and have only once ever seen a chopper fly overhead - and it wasn't looking for a criminal, they were searching for a little disabled girl that had gone missing..:confused:

chook said:
And then that leads to who would rent there - there are so many private areas to choose from, I think Airds would be on the bottom of their list.

If Airds is at the bottom of their list, they haven't been to Claymore.

I lived in that area for ~ 15 yrs.
I think twice in that time there was problems with Reiby Juvenile DC, but none that I remember having serious repercussions.

There are many good people in Airds, some are motivated and some are not.
Just because they don't have ambitions to own 20 IP's does'nt make them bad people, losers, or inferior to anyone else. They make their own life choices. Some are home owners, some are renters, business owners etc and they pay their own way.
Some house comission rents (for those with jobs) are what I would believe to be above market :eek: .
Those that want to improve their situation need assistance, not kicked in the guts by RE's full of themselves or TV producers trying to make an impression.
I still see nothing useful or helpful whatsover in that program to Airds (or anyone else).

Back