Suicide - Top 10 causes of premature death in men!

Top 10 causes of premature death in men

According to data collected by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in 2008, the leading causes of death for Australian men include, in order from first to last:

1. Ischaemic heart disease
2. Trachea and lung cancer
3. Strokes
4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
5. Prostate cancer
6. Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
7. Colon and rectum cancer
8. Blood and lymph cancer, including leukaemia
9. Diabetes
10. Suicide.

Edited (after complains from Ace in the Hole, Blueberry, billybrownless ):
Happy Father's day... try to take these steps to avoid the listed items.

Do:
regular medical check up and follow medical advice
eat right
exercise
drive safe
reduce any risks
and be safe!

Don't:
anything that contradicts the above

Last edited:
Plenty of pink ribbons (and rightfully so) for Breast Cancer.

But when men die of prostate cancer.....nobody gives a toss.

I don't like the world i Live in.

Hi OW

Light blue awareness ribbon is worn in support of prostate cancer.

Do something about it.
Women are most likely the driving force against breast cancer.

Why don't men become the driving force against prostate cancer.

It's probably similar to woman and heart disease.
It's the # 1 killer with women, but symptoms are completely different (or at least can be different) when a woman has a heart attack.
However, it is usually only the men's symptoms that get talked about.

I wouldn't say nobody cares about men's issues.

It's only when you stand there and watch the last stage of a Mans life as they lower the coffin into the neatly cut hole in the ground does it sink in about "Men" and Suicide, I have had 2 close Mates that went down that road one after not being paided several times by builders just went too the front bar on a Friday afternoon had a talk said nothing then went for a drive in the country lined up at big tree then went head on into it,the other the same problem over money and scumbag lowlife builders pulled out a wire rope and hung himself in the tree in his back yard not one said a word about what was about too happen,and I still have a few mates that sometimes ring in the dead of the night looking for someone too talk too,if you ever get into that mindset zone get help straight away
because once they make up their mind it's very hard too stop,..

"NEVER EVER GIVE UP"

Missed it all, and I think I'm glad I did.

Anyway, this site is something I've seen pop up recently, by Beyond Blue it's called "Man Therapy" and might be good read for any of those men who feel like they need to chat to someone, but are perhaps embarrassed to open up to their mates for fear of being weak.

www.mantherapy.org.au

The Newcastle Herald today is a "blue edition" with a blue masthead and 10c from every sale going to prostate research. Just as an example.

If you don't think it is enough, do more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Men especially are reluctant to 'reach out' when they're considering ending their own lives. It's all too common for the family and friends of a male suicide victim to say 'we had no idea how he was feeling'.

Men, there is no shame in having emotions or uncontrollable thoughts. If you're at a point where you're seriously considering suicide, please speak to someone whether it be a friend, a family member or a doctor. Don't just bottle it up until you feel you can't take it any more :(

Anyway, cheers to the OP for drawing attention to some very serious health issues facing men.

Last edited:

Tim Mathieson, Julia Gillards boyfriend, sought to promote awareness of prostate cancer and the importance of examinations.

I thought the blokey language he used worked a treat at getting the word out to the people :D.

It's only when you stand there and watch the last stage of a Mans life as they lower the coffin into the neatly cut hole in the ground does it sink in about "Men" and Suicide, I have had 2 close Mates that went down that road one after not being paided several times by builders just went too the front bar on a Friday afternoon had a talk said nothing then went for a drive in the country lined up at big tree then went head on into it,the other the same problem over money and scumbag lowlife builders pulled out a wire rope and hung himself in the tree in his back yard not one said a word about what was about too happen,and I still have a few mates that sometimes ring in the dead of the night looking for someone too talk too,if you ever get into that mindset zone get help straight away
because once they make up their mind it's very hard too stop,..

"NEVER EVER GIVE UP"

Big builders? More details plz.

BTW what was the joke I missed? PM me if posting it in public leads to airstrikes.

Back