Sunnybank IP turning point

Hellow,

After 4 years, my tenants at Sunnybank have moved out. I'm thinking to re-model the kitchen and renovate the inside. However, there's a major issue - the stumps.

The house sits on concrete stumps which are in great condition, but have settled and moved. There's over 150mm variance between the highest and lowest ones. A minimum of 14 stumps need to be replaced - will use galvanised steel adjustable posts. The site has a classification of P (worst possible classification according to Australian Standards). I guess one slightly redeeming factor is the re-stump and level would be tax-deductible since it's a repair.

The kichen will be simple white 2-pac cabinets and new appliances plus a dishwasher. Interior will be repainted and curtains replaced, hardwood floors are in pretty good shape. The most expensive component will be re-stump and level and it doesn't really add rental income.

It's a 3-bed house, 2 toilets, 1 shower, separate laundry, and was rented for $355 per week. For those playing in Brisbane, the house is on Dixon St, Sunnybank, near the train station.

streetviewp.png

72120415.png

img7491tn.jpg

img7490o.jpg

Current kitchen - bit messy since the tenants were packing and about to move out.

img7436d.jpg

Sooo, how should I move ahead??

1) Spend the cash, maybe $20K? on restump, rebuild kitchen and reno interior. Doesn't seem like very good value, even if the house is rented at $400 per week afterwards, it would take yeeears to get back.

2) Kitchen and reno interior on crooked house, keep renting it out, since it increases rent value. The location is good and easy enough to find tenants.

3) Sell the house - capital gains tax? It's been an IP for nearly 5 years. Maybe make a loss and buy another IP straight away?

I don't think I'm ever going to buy a weatherboard house on stumps again!

Looks like a nice house! How noticeable is the non-level floor? is the toddlers toy car rolling from one end of the house to the other? if not I'd go option 4. Sack the property manager and get $400pw with no reno.
I've got a 3bed townhouse getting $390pw in Sunnybank Hills.. I would have thought you'd get at least $400?

Looks like a nice house! How noticeable is the non-level floor? is the toddlers toy car rolling from one end of the house to the other? if not I'd go option 4. Sack the property manager and get $400pw with no reno.
I've got a 3bed townhouse getting $390pw in Sunnybank Hills.. I would have thought you'd get at least $400?

Option 4 hey. Maybe!

The slope is noticable, however, I'm a bit OCD by nature.
Stuff doesn't roll around too much, but shelf units and furnuture in the house have shifted around - combination of slope and vibrations from walking.

Sometimes the doors don't open or close, and I've had about half a dozen repairs on electrical and plumbing due to movement. I spoke to the restumper and he believes whoever did the stumping for the back deck was most likely drunk when he did it. They're almost 100mm out!

Maybe I could do the reno with dodgy floors.. LOL. The kitchen I can get done for cheap and re-painting the interior and renew curtains would help a bit in increasing rent.

Sounds a problem that needs addressing if the electrics and plumbing is being affected.
As you mention spending that much on restumping will not get the return.

How about looking into raising and building in underneath? Shouldn't be any problem with minimum habitable level for flooding, and under 7.5m for maximum height? The details should be on the BCC PD online website.

Back