Surely I am not wrong here - maths equation

4 x 4 + 4 x 4 + 4 - 4 x 4 = ?

This one is going around on fb and it says 73% of people get it wrong. The comments seem fairly well divided with maybe a few more leaning towards one particular answer (and a few random answers that make no sense at all!). My dad has a different opinion of the answer and insists that I am wrong.

Without telling you what my answer is.....please answer. Curious to see the answers here :)

I get 20.

There's a number of variants of this floating around on FB. The important thing is the precedence of operators.

Order of operations, bracket it out

(4 x 4) + (4 x 4) + 4 - (4 x 4)

16 + 16 + 4 - 16 = 20

Shows that 73% of people on facebook cannot do mathematics at a year 5 level. And if you paste the sum into google, it even calculates it for you correctly as 20!

Also 20. If the majority of people are getting it wrong, I'm assuming we're all wrong?

haha maybe the level of intelligence is just a bit higher here than facebook. 20 was my answer, and as far as I am concerned is the only correct answer.

People were arguing that BODMAS doesn't apply since there are no brackets which I thought was just stupid. But you know, enough people say one thing you start to doubt yourself even when you thought you were sure :)

Years ago I studied to be a primary school teacher. As part of the entrance requirements all first year student teachers had to do a maths exam (up to Yr 9 level). 80% failed!

This is a primary school level question.

Yes well it seems a huge percentage of people do not get it.

I have always been good at math but my poor old brain is tired these days and so many people giving the wrong answer made me think maybe I was the one missing something, even though I was sure I was right (Chronic lack of sleep will do that!) My dad finally admitted he was wrong!

Back