Sydney's Proposed Desalination Pipeworks

A MAZE of pipes and tunnels will be bored under the homes of southern Sydney residents and hundreds of streets dug up in at least 15 suburbs, just to carry water from the proposed desalination plant to the city.

But with an election only eight weeks away the State Government has not warned anyone of the predicted chaos its construction will cause.

Documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph have revealed for the first time the "concept plans'' for an immense piping distribution system recently approved by Planning Minister Frank Sartor.

They warn of two years of road closures, traffic disruptions, compulsory acquisition of private property and excessive noise and vibrations for residents in at least six key seats.

They also reveal an attempt by Sydney Water to cover up the plans so residents would be oblivious to what was coming when construction begins - which could be as early as six weeks away if dam levels reach 30 per cent as expected.

Full article here
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21154984-5001021,00.html

MAP of planned pipeline

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/pdf/pipeline_map.pdf/pipeline_map.pdf

so little forward planning/thinking is unbelievable in this day and age.

the central coast are frantically building a pipeline to take water from the hunter - their dams are down to 13% whilst ours are still up around 80% ... something they should have started years ago when they realised the rate of expansion of the area.

do we pay the pollies all this money purely to cross their fingers and hope it rains?

i personally believe the federal governments idea of one water authority for the murray river is great - about time someone took control and responsibility of the whole mess.

i personally believe the federal governments idea of one water authority for the murray river is great - about time someone took control and responsibility of the whole mess.

I would like to see Canberra do what they have said they want to do and take control of all waterways that are, or have the potential to be, damned or used for irrigation (I cannot recall the exact proposal).

This cr@p that the states and territories go on about with "hands off our water" just infuriates me. We won't have a national solution until we have a national approach.

But then, why do we even need state governments anyway?

M

syria's government started a massive plan a while back (5 years?) to build 140 dams and increase irrigated farmland by 38%. they started off trying to become self-sufficient with agriculture and now they've gone from being an importer of ag products to an exporter. bit of a random example (my partner's syrian) but still, goes to show what's possible...

As I understand it we are a federation of states, day to day administration is and alwas has been done by the states.

I am all for national views being taken into consideration (especially on the environment - as I am an environmental scientist by profession), but do not want to diminish the powers and individuality of local and state areas.

big brother can b*gger *ff.

TB

Back