Taking action against Property Manager/Tenant

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some opinions or advice. Please bear with me as this is a long post.

My husband and I have an IP which was tenanted out 6 months ago and managed by a PM who came recommended (not from this forum though). Being first time investors we did not know what to expect - however we got the property tenanted without much hassle. The PM assured us all the necessary reference checks and TICA checks were performed on the tenant, and highly recommended we take this tenant on. The lease agreement was signed for 12 months, and everything was fine.

The tenant missed the December rent, and we noticed this because no payment was made to our bank account for that month. Unfortunately our payment cycle fell right in the middle of the Christmas shutdown period, so we could not contact the PM.

We contacted the PM the first day their office opened in January and notified them of the missed rent. PM said they would get back to me.

Despite repeated calls and emails the PM did not respond with any update on the missed rent. During this time the January rent was also missed. In mid January the PM said that the rent would be 'paid soon', as the tenant had written a cheque. Still no payment arrived for both Dec and Jan, and we were informed by the PM later that the cheque had bounced.

Finally at the end of January the PM decided to proceed with notice to evict, however this was just communicated to us verbally. At this stage we had enough of the PM's unresponsiveness (not just with the rent issue, but with other things that we asked them to do over the last 6 months) so we decided to let them go and we found a new PM. New PM took over from February.

This is where things get interesting. Old PM says they have filed for a VCAT hearing to evict the tenant. New PM contacts the old PM to ask for the file containing all documents relating to the tenancy of our IP, and offers to pick it up personally. Old PM says not to worry, the file has been sent to the new PM. The file never arrived. Old PM decides not to wait any longer for the file and decides to pay a visit to the property under the guise of performing the twice-yearly inspection (bear in mind that the property has not been inspected since it was tenanted as the tenancy was not up to 6 months yet).

The new PM paid a visit to the property and was greeted by a lady who claimed she was not the tenant. The lady very reluctantly granted access to the property. Upon inspection the new PM found the property empty as if it was abandoned. There were holes in the walls and ceilings which looked like it was done for ventilation. There were other people besides the lady in the house, who were doing some repair work to the damaged walls. Apparently these people were engaged by the old PM to do all repairs, we're not sure why as by this time the old PM should have had nothing to do with our property.

New PM smells something fishy and decides to call the police to investigate. The police advised that they can only observe the property. To enter the property they will require a warrant to enter the property, but there were certain conditions that must be fulfilled to get a warrant, and we didn't meet those conditions.

We have had the property declared abandoned today, and also found out that the old PM only filed the notice to vacate this morning (1 month after they said they had). We have not been successful in contacting the tenant. Our next course of action will be getting the police to investigate the place to ensure that there is nothing illicit in the property and that we are cleared of any illicit activities that may have taken place in the property while it was tenanted out (this is a precaution we are taking).

Our insurance should cover the damage bill and loss of rent, however I was wondering if we can take any sort of legal action against the old PM and/or the tenant? Also is there anything we should be doing prior to re-letting the property?

Thanks for reading,
Swan Queen

So we have an update on the property - the new PM changed the locks and went in for a closer inspection. He found traces of marijuana on the property and has called the police to investigate.

Any ideas on what we can do further, if we can take action on the tenant or the old PM since they allowed this to happen?

Would appreciate any opinion - at this stage we really are at a loss of what to do.

Hi Swanqueen, what a terrible time you seem to be having.

I keep coming back to this thread in the hope that someone with more expertise than me has posted a reply.

You don't mention bond. Has the old PM at least done something about that? If they haven't lodged the bond (if any was in fact collected) with the RTA I would imagine they could be in deep do do. I don't know about action against the old PM maybe the new PM would know about that. I would think that any action would need to be taken against the principal of the real estate company rather than the PM, but I hasten to add I don't really know. Demanding to talk to him or her might be a good place to start.

Sorry I'm not much help. I hope someone with a bit more knowledge pops in.

Edited to add ... I thought I would mention that we had a problem with a previous Re over a week's missing rent. The tenants swore they had paid it but we never received it. We took it to the principal of the RE and after a bit of pushing and shoving he reimbursed us. Nothing as serious as your situation I know but sometimes taking it higher does work.

Last edited:
Might be an idea to have the place checked by an electrician to make sure that the tenants haven't hooked up any illegal electrical connections.

Fairly serious as they may have been doing hydroponics for which they generally hook into the live electricity ie prior to the meter and main switch - so some of your wires could be live even though you think you have turned of the electricity.

Beyond claiming on your landlords insurance I would just book it up to experience and move on. Your insurance might chase the tenant for money and again that's what you have the insurance for.

Cheers

Very suspect indeed.

I would do the following:

1. Arrange for the place to be fixed
2. Claim insurance for lost rent and repairs
3. Find new tenant
4. Move on with your life, relatively unscathed

Our insurance should cover the damage bill and loss of rent, however I was wondering if we can take any sort of legal action against the old PM and/or the tenant? Also is there anything we should be doing prior to re-letting the property?

Thanks for reading,
Swan Queen

Of course there things you can do.
Whether you want to be bothered and take the chance you won't win, that is something you will need to decide.
Many will tell you not to bother, mark it up to experience, and move on.

Should you decide to stand up for yourself....
After all your expenses are calculated, and deduct any insurance and bond payouts, then you will know how much to charge the Property Management company. Take them to Small Claims Court, not under the RTA, but for breach of contract or some similar wording. For witnesses you may want to take along your new PM and offer the court their account of what a PM should be doing.
The PM didn't do their contracted duties.

Give the details to your insurer - they can investigate the prospects of a recovery action against the licensee of your onld PM agency.

Report the licensee to whichever authority operates in VIC.

Don't go down this road yourself personally, even if you were to get money out of the old PM your insurer will take it from you as they're the ones out of pocket.

Our insurance should cover the damage bill and loss of rent, however I was wondering if we can take any sort of legal action against the old PM and/or the tenant?

Unlikely - the insurance company will recover their costs from related parties if they can and is economically feasible.

I have had several occurences such as these - unfortunately a part of owninf residential investment properties.

Be glad that you were insured, and enjoy the fact you get a "forced" makeover.

The Y-man

Thanks all for your advice.

The property is in Victoria. We've spoken to the police and the new PM, there's nothing left to investigate and their advice was pretty much to fix the place up and start advertising.

What probably annoyed us the most is that the property was brand new when it was rented out, so we never expected to do any renovations early on in the game.

Probably will chalk it up to a good learning experience and move on (and report the old PM to whoever who listens).

Or you never know, you might see me on Today Tonight :p

Hi

You should probably make a formal complaint to EARS (part of Consumer Affairs) Whilst they didn't take any action against our agent I think if they get an agent who gets a few compliants they will take action so by you making the complaint it may help someone down the track - out of interest would ypu mind PMing me the agent as one to avoid?

What probably annoyed us the most is that the property was brand new when it was rented out, so we never expected to do any renovations early on in the game.

It's one of the reasons I don't buy brand new or of the plan any more - it's certainly much easier on the mind when a tired old place that needed new carpets and a fresh coat of paint get's trashed.

Some people argue that the sort of tenants you attract in a brand newy is different to the ones you get in a preloved one, but as you have discovered.... not always the case....

The Y-man

Back