Tamworth, Gunnedah, Armidale

Hi posters,
I'd like to know what people think about the above towns. I have searched older threads but would like to hear more recent information, particularly growth prospects. There seems to be some CF+ prospects in these areas?
What do you think?

Grew up in Tamworth, moved away and now back in the area.

It has doubled in population in that 40 years.

Being a major regional hub on a major road link I can only see it grow and never look back.

Gunnedah is now central to some major coal mines about to start digging so take out of that what you will.

Armidale, don't know much except its cold and has the UNE along with rural rural related industry.

Gunned ah is going gangbusters right now and much housing is being built there, whereas over in Quirindi (where I live) its not so busy but I and many other locals expect some growth boost in the next few years related to mining and retirement/tree changers, but mainly mining as the underpin.

Overall, Tamworth is the pick. It's the "capital city" out here in the bush, the others are the "suburbs".

Hope that helps, however I may be totally wrong so DYOR.

Good info and worth looking into.

I had a place at Werris Creek (Near Tamworth) which would have been good to have kept. The rents seem to have doubled since 2005.

No worries. I have been associated with the area for most of my life and followed the real estate side of things closely.

TC knows as much too, if not more.;)

Im no developer, just a simple resi investor.

All I know is Tamworth has only ever grown and looks like continuing to do so, so yes development potential as population growth continues to accomodate retirees, tree changers (both Business and private) and what is now increasing min ing activity, let alone to continuing support for the all important agricultural land around the region which is arguably some of most productive around the world.

TC...thoughts?

All I know is Tamworth has only ever grown and looks like continuing to do so, so yes development potential as population growth continues to accomodate retirees, tree changers (both Business and private) and what is now increasing min ing activity, let alone to continuing support for the all important agricultural land around the region which is arguably some of most productive around the world.

TC...thoughts?

Hey Fence. I just PMd you.
Am in Tamworth right now. Perhaps your free for a coffee.

TC...thoughts?

I agree. A massively booming regional centre. A lot of potential. Far more so than Armidale.

I have a colleague up there who is running a pretty successful certifying/planning consultancy who is run off his feet trying to keep up with demand.

I agree. A massively booming regional centre. A lot of potential. Far more so than Armidale.

I have a colleague up there who is running a pretty successful certifying/planning consultancy who is run off his feet trying to keep up with demand.

Could you share his details. Bro in law is sorting out a 6 property development here.

Hi Fence,
Thanks for your information, very helpful.
Can you please advise where are the better parts of Tamoworth to
look in to? I have been keeping an eye on this area also.
Thanks
Tgan

Hi
I visited Gunnedah recently (not buying but just checked things out informally with my friends). A couple of points of interest. In contrast to e.g. Narrabri the Gunnedah Shire Council will not allow mining camps to be built within the shire - there is a 500 person camp apparently being set up near Narrabri. There are soils around Gunnedah classified as 'premium' - only a few such classifications in the world- so that the area is seen as Australia's food bowl ; however there has been a proposal by the NSW government to forgo some of the assessment requirements.
The town looks prosperous and many businesses support mining as the way to prosperity. Nevertheless property gain is not a given thing - for example I was shown a five bedroom newly built house and the investor has had it sitting there for 6 months vacant as he was targeting the mining and related executives.

As usual best to check it out through online research and conversations with the Council staff, real estate agents and other businesses.... All the best .

As I said in the miles chinchilla thread I think it is important not to dive into these small east coast towns on the premise of mining activity.

My reasoning is that many of these Places are only a couple of hours to 'civilisation' and it has the affect of lewering a tonne of investors and developers alike.
Let's face it if an investor can hop in the car and drive for two hours and get to a 'mining town' then they will choose this over a hard slog out to the middle of WA

The same with developers , just check out Gladstone. It's Easier for them to develop on the east coast and there's plent of investors to sell to. Hence there is an oversupply and capital gains are stifled

Unless the town is already bargain basement prices (under 200k) then I would avoid
What happens if the coal mines pack up and they have all those shiny new house sitting there empty?

Having said all that, tamworth looks alright as they have that critical mass which will just keep growing

Tamworth has enough momentum to sustain itself.

I think some people need to leave the capital cities once in a while.

You city people and your superiority complex....civilisation indeed!:mad:

I put it in inverted commors for a reason - that's what most city people would say!
Not my style of thinking though, I prefer the country

Ideo if that was aimed at me then I will say that the only property i own is in whyalla

I put it in inverted commors for a reason - that's what most city people would say!
Not my style of thinking though, I prefer the country.

I know, just thought I'd have a dig.:p

Agree with Ideo, a lot of city folk should get out once in awhile.

Most country folk do get out to the city and enjoy it for what it is, take part in city offerings and grow a little wiser. But always return home to "civilisation".
:D

I'm reminded of the saying.....it's the simple pleasures in life....;)

Tamworth has enough momentum to sustain itself.

Agreed (again!).

However, the likes of Gunnedah I'm not so sure of and that is the place where much development is going on right now in anticipation of Shenhua and BHP mines that are located roughly halfway between Gunnedah & Quirindi & Werris Creek.

If the mines do not go ahead then these towns will suffer that over supply.

Quirindi & Werris Crk have not developed as much...yet, although the former did have a burst of action a few years ago when news of coal mines hit the grapevine and some of that stock is still lingering empty and some investors have sold off losing patience waiting while action groups go about holding things up.

But Tamworth beats to its own drum and any mining growth will gravitate naturally towards it, Tamworth won't have to lure it.

Just my opinion.

Back