TASWA recommendations

I thought those of you in WA (or with properties in WA) might be interested in what TASWA have recommended as changes to the residential tenancies act.

http://www.taswa.org/pubs/pdf/rtareview.pdf

A few pages that raised my eyebrows.

Pg 16, 21, 25, 37 and 42. Pg 37 is especially interesting. They are recommending the "no reason eviction" be abolished completely.

The page numbers are the ones at the bottom of the pages, rather than in the margins.

Happy reading :)

Basically yes. Their backup plan is to allow them - but with at least 6 months notice.

That's as long as one of my leases!!!

These are recommendations presented by a Tenants representative society and won't necessarily be adopted, but it is disturbing nonetheless.

I think if this is adopted it will encourage shorter leases, but even that may not help, because another of their recommendations is to not allow an owner to end a tenancy just because the lease is up. Notice would have to be served. I can't remember how long, but I think it was either 1 or 3 months.

Basically their arguement is that housing is a basic human right and moving is a major hassle so people shouldn't be forced to move regardless of how bad a tenant they are.

For me, these types of changes in the law are more of disincentive for real estate investment than any threat of interest rate rises or negative gearing rollback.

Is there a body/organisation in WA (or Australia) that assists in presenting landowners points of view to the government body that are making these decisions. Or is the government body only lobied by the tenant unions?
JAM

I think there is a landlords association. It costs $20 a year to join. I've got an application form at home. I'll see if I can dig it up and post a web address.

Back