Tax Deduction on Un-baught investment property ?

Hi Tax Gurus,

My understanding is cost associated with purchasing an investment property can be tax deducted, BUT what if the contract fall through at the end?

Situation:
Put a property under contract, paid solicitors to do the searches and building inspection, later pull out due to unsatisfactory building inspection. Could I then deduct my solicitor fees and inspection cost?

Hi Tax Gurus,

My understanding is cost associated with purchasing an investment property can be tax deducted, BUT what if the contract fall through at the end?

Situation:
Put a property under contract, paid solicitors to do the searches and building inspection, later pull out due to unsatisfactory building inspection. Could I then deduct my solicitor fees and inspection cost?

no connection to the production of incomes so I would say no.

Preliminary expenses incurred to find a IP - Never part of cost base and never deductible.
Preliminary expenses incurred to find an actual IP (good example is buyers agent) where successful - Part of coat base. Non-deductible. However personal travel etc is not. That's a private expense.

Unsuccessful acquisition is never deductible or a cost base issue. If you lose your deposit same applies since you never acquired a CGT asset there can be no CGT loss.

Back