Tax Returns - Cost or DIY

One issue to note in this - if you're doing multiple years returns at once, its likely you will be charged more than if you stay up to date.

While there may be some time savings in one interview covering two year's worth of returns, there's also usually more messing around as you're likely to be less organised.

In my opinion, you're more likely to be looked after and considered a good customer if you keep up to date.

I paid about $280 last year for 2 IP's and income tax. I initially did it myself using QS reports but when a sump pump had to be replaced for one of the properties I had no idea how to incorporate that into the depreciation schedule so I decided to go to an accountant. The main reason for me is the depreciation component since all the other deductions I have are quite simple. I go there each year with a printed spreadsheet of rent, interest, rates, b'corp etc. and all I want to know from him is "what is the depreciation this year"? But having said that my accountant is very chatty and gives a lot of advice while he punches in my numbers - the $280 is worth it to me purely for the chat and the depreciation.

Back