Tax year to use for selling an apartment

Hi everyone!

I have an important question.. my property is on the market, however I am considering taking it off the market and putting it back on in one or two months. It could very well be in that scenario that settlement on it will only happen after the 30/6/2015. It would be much better for me tax wise to include CGT in this year's tax return as I made very little money and would probably pay very little CGT.

My question is this - when it comes to the tax year where CGT is applicable - what is the date that counts - contract date or settlement date?

Cheers
Guy

Hi everyone!

I have an important question.. my property is on the market, however I am considering taking it off the market and putting it back on in one or two months. It could very well be in that scenario that settlement on it will only happen after the 30/6/2015. It would be much better for me tax wise to include CGT in this year's tax return as I made very little money and would probably pay very little CGT.

My question is this - when it comes to the tax year where CGT is applicable - what is the date that counts - contract date or settlement date?

Cheers
Guy

Always contract date!

Back